Question

Unable to connect - aghhhhhhh

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

Hi John, i’ve sent that, but has gone into a moderator review, must be something in the network map contents triggered it; hopefully will come up soon. thanks

Badge

Hi John 

Thanks for replying.  Here’s the output from that URL.  A couple were showing red when i first ran it, now they all showing green.   I’m not sure what to look for to find the WM:0 and WM:1, can’t see either?

It wouldn’t let me paste the whoe report in so let me know if there’s any other bits you’d need to see?

Here also is a diagnostic report after switching on and off to get the system conneced temporarily for this:  1705573131

Network Matrix 

Moderator Note: Censored for Privacy reasons.

Strength to
00:0E:58:**:**:**
Living Room
Strength to
34:7E:5C:**:**:**
Family Room 2
Strength to
B8:E9:37:**:**:**
Isabelle
Strength to
5C:AA:FD:**:**:**
Family Room
00:0E:58:**:**:**
Living Room
Root Bridge
Noise Floor: -113, -111, -109
OFDM ANI level: 0
  Inbound: 25
Outbound: 28
STP state: forwarding
Inbound: 35
Outbound: 33
Inbound: 49
Outbound: 49
B8:E9:37:**:**:**
Isabelle
Secondary Node
Noise Floor: -110, -108, -100
Inbound: 33
Outbound: 35
Inbound: 35
Outbound: 39
  Inbound: 47
Outbound: 51
STP state: blocking
34:7E:5C:**:**:**
Family Room 2
Tertiary Node
Noise Floor: -108, -110, -100
Inbound: 28
Outbound: 25
  Inbound: 39
Outbound: 35
Inbound: 46
Outbound: 46

5C:AA:FD:**:**:**
Family Room
Secondary Node
Noise Floor: -109, -108, -107

Inbound: 49
Outbound: 49
Inbound: 46
Outbound: 46
Inbound: 51
Outbound: 47

It isn’t normally this hard.  The forum is for sick systems only and is totally unrepresentative.

If you wouldn’t mind, please would you get the ip address of one of your speakers (not a Boost or Bridge if you have one) from About my System.  Then in a browser type:

http://ip address:1400/support/review

then click the Network Matrix link and post a screenshot of the matrix diagram?

e.g. it would be something like http://192.168.1.15:1400/support/review

Up to you if you want to give this a go.

(In the process, please check that all your Sonos components in About my System have WM:0 not WM:1?)

Badge

Hi, yes one is wired; I have tried separate names for bands & the same. I downloaded Solarwinds to try and investigate IP address issues & have ruined my Surface Pro now… really it shouldn’t be this hard; have no issues with other devices, only Sonos. I’ll review the IP addresss thing you’ve shared though; perhaps Sonos should review their system so we don’t need to though!!!

You should definitely have separate SSIDs for the two bands.  I believe Virgin call their band steering ‘Smart WiFi’.  You should turn off Smart WiFi.

This becomes much less important if you have one of your Sonos devices wired, so I shall be interested to hear if that is the case.

God, I’m such a geek!

It is probably best to wait for the info from the diagnostic.  But one potential cause of the symptoms you describe would be IP addressing issues.  It sometimes helps (and never harms) to reserve IP addresses in your router’s DHCP settings for all of your Sonos components.

This link may help, if you decide to look at this aspect, and have not done so already:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-DHCP-settings/td-p/4117502

@Mcswiggen . Clearly you should not be having such problems. If you want to give more information about your setup then there are people on here who would be happy to try to help. 

For a start, it is best NOT to have a single SSID for the two WiFi bands.

What Sonos gear do you have? Is anything wired to the router?

Ignore the 'pristine environment' nonsense.  I live in an apartment and everyone in the block has a WiFi router, of course.  My Sonos has been rock-solid for nine years. (No help to you, I realise, but just to say that you should be able to achieve the same.)

Badge

Oh dear! Hope I have more luck… not sure what the best option for you is, but seems excessive to buy your own uninhabited island to get it working.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, I’m sorry to say I have very similar issues, I have spent 18 months trying to fix the issue, I have sent many hundreds of diagnostics to Sonos, last week I was told that there is nothing Sonos can do because my home doesn’t offer a pristine Environment. 
I think Sonos need to front up and say that there systems are not compatible with many other systems. 
apparently my neighbour Having a router is causing issues. 
good luck and let me know if you get a fix for this.