Sub and amp cut out, no sound

I fixed the amp with a reset and Ethernet cable connection - but the sub won’t play any sound and gives an error message when trying to connect it - yet after closing and opening the Sonos app it says it has been configured.

Diagnosis 894402776

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

While you wait on someone to look at that diagnostic, you didn’t by any chance turn off the wifi/radio on the Amp, did you? That would cause it to be unable to reach the Sub for playback purposes.

While you wait on someone to look at that diagnostic, you didn’t by any chance turn off the wifi/radio on the Amp, did you? That would cause it to be unable to reach the Sub for playback purposes.

No, I haven’t made any changes for well over a year to the system - it happened all of a sudden.

Are you able to ‘group’ the Amp with another Sonos Room and play audio to the group?
Have you tried ’bonding’ the Sub to one of your other Sonos Rooms? - because if you try these two things, it may just point to the problem as perhaps being your Sub, rather than the (reset) Amp …

If the tests do point to the Sub, then I would maybe try resetting the Sub too and/or wiring that temporarily to the LAN to just see what happens.

“All of a sudden” certainly suggests either some sort of wifi interference between the speaker and the Sub,  or a failure in the electronics of one of the two speakers. I suppose when someone at Sonos looks at your diagnostic, we’ll know which one it is. Failures of the hardware are rare enough that I’d be expecting some sort of wifi interference, potentially outside of your home network. 

Are you able to ‘group’ the Amp with another Sonos Room and play audio to the group?
Have you tried ’bonding’ the Sub to one of your other Sonos Rooms? - because if you try these two things, it may just point to the problem as perhaps being your Sub, rather than the (reset) Amp …

If the tests do point to the Sub, then I would maybe try resetting the Sub too and/or wiring that temporarily to the LAN to just see what happens.

This blew my mind!

First of all, yes: I have a couple of speakers wire connected directly to the amp, as well as two Sonos One’s through Wi-Fi, and all that works completely as it should!
Now what blew my mind, is when I simply “moved” the sub from the room with the amp, to another room with just one Sonos One, it started playing instantly.

I tried moving it back to the room with amp, and it turned off again.

“All of a sudden” certainly suggests either some sort of wifi interference between the speaker and the Sub,  or a failure in the electronics of one of the two speakers. I suppose when someone at Sonos looks at your diagnostic, we’ll know which one it is. Failures of the hardware are rare enough that I’d be expecting some sort of wifi interference, potentially outside of your home network. 

I suspected a wifi interference, but no changes in my network has been made - yet I have done a software update on my router and reset on both the amp and the sub - to no avail, unfortunately.

The sub works, see my most recent answer to Ken.

I suspected a wifi interference, but no changes in my network has been made - yet I have done a software update on my router and reset on both the amp and the sub - to no avail, unfortunately.

Does the Amp still work, if you remove its Ethernet cable? Also, just for clarification, when you moved the Sub to the other room, was it bonded to the Sonos One when it was playing? Then when you ‘bonded’ it back to the Amp it then stopped playing - is that what happened, or did it just simply stop playing when you changed its actual physical location, rather than after switching its ‘parent’ (bonded) device?

Your network is equally impacted by outside influences as inside influences. Whether or not you made any changes has little to due with their being an issue. Electronic devices fail, and cause interference, I once had a microwave that caused my kitchen speakers to fail while it was on. I’ve also had a new neighbor move in who was using a frequency on their router that ended up causing interference on my system. In neither case did I make a change to my network before experiencing the issue. 

Your network is equally impacted by outside influences as inside influences. Whether or not you made any changes has little to due with their being an issue. Electronic devices fail, and cause interference, I once had a microwave that caused my kitchen speakers to fail while it was on. I’ve also had a new neighbor move in who was using a frequency on their router that ended up causing interference on my system. In neither case did I make a change to my network before experiencing the issue. 

Yes microwaves can be problematic for any wireless network device and another problem is baby monitors (although that’s not likely going to be an issue these days at my age..🤞).

For many though a simple reboot/auto-upgrade of the router can mess things up, particularly  if ‘auto wifi channel selection on start up’ is left in place on the local, or a neighbours router and that is often the case.

My son-in-law’s BT smart-hub router had an update recently and that messed things up on his home network, that we had to sort by manually changing back a router setting that had isolated his 5Ghz network. Anyhow I am quite sure things do change in most networks, from time to time, without any of us lifting a finger.

Especially as many routers frequently update their firmware without any interaction from us ;)

Does the Amp still work, if you remove its Ethernet cable? Also, just for clarification, when you moved the Sub to the other room, was it bonded to the Sonos One when it was playing? Then when you ‘bonded’ it back to the Amp it then stopped playing - is that what happened, or did it just simply stop playing when you changed its actual physical location, rather than after switching its ‘parent’ (bonded) device?

The Amp still works when I unplug the Ethernet cable.

When I moved the sub around in the app between rooms, it bonded to the Sonos One and started playing immediately. When I reverted it back to the amp, it instantly stopped again.

Sound was been played at all times during this.

Well the checks done so far, seem to ‘infer’ that the Sub is working okay, as it was able to bond with your other Sonos Rooms and play audio. I would perhaps just try another factory reset of the Amp - if it then still doesn’t work with the Sub after that, I would take a further system diagnostic and make a note of it’s reference, then speak to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

Well the checks done so far, seem to ‘infer’ that the Sub is working okay, as it was able to bond with your other Sonos Rooms and play audio. I would perhaps just try another factory reset of the Amp - if it then still doesn’t work with the Sub after that, I would take a further system diagnostic and make a note of it’s reference, then speak to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

I just did a factory reset of the Amp, everything works now. It really doesn’t make sense when assuming wifi or wireless connection problems. But it works. Somehow.

Possibly just a ‘glitch’ with the previous reset. The main thing is it’s working.

I would just keep an eye on it and if further problems do occur, then grab the diagnostic and go onto speak with Sonos Support.. but glad to hear all is well at the moment.👍