Sonos Net with 5g only

• 6 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

i'm trying to figure out is sonosnet is right for me….i do not want to use the 2.4gz band. i have a new wifi 6 router and no other devices in the home that utilize that bandwith. What happens when i disable the 2.4gz bandwidth in my router, attatch one sonos speaker to the router with an ethernet cable? will the sonos system still craate its own mesh 2.4gz system independently of how the router settings are set. 

I'm hoping that would be the case….that way, i would have a sonosnet 2.4gz system running invisibly in the background where non of my devices would attempt to connect to it. i could utilize my 5gz with all the rest of the my devices and not have to worry about any interference. 

if the sonos system is running on its own private band, how will i control the system when my primary device (cellphone) will be connect to the 5gz network and the sonos will be connected to its own mesh?

appreciate any insight on the matter..

gg

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

What happens when i disable the 2.4gz bandwidth in my router, attatch one sonos speaker to the router with an ethernet cable? will the sonos system still craate its own mesh 2.4gz system independently of how the router settings are set. 

Yes, SonosNet will still function even if you turn off the 2.4GHz band on your router. However if you have either a Roam or a Move then they do not use SonosNet and will always connect to your router’s WiFi, although this can be the 5GHz band that remains active.

​​I'm hoping that would be the case….that way, i would have a sonosnet 2.4gz system running invisibly in the background where non of my devices would attempt to connect to it. i could utilize my 5gz with all the rest of the my devices and not have to worry about any interference. 

Correct, SonosNet is only used by Sonos devices, none of your non-Sonos products are able to connect through SonosNet.

if the sonos system is running on its own private band, how will i control the system when my primary device (cellphone) will be connect to the 5gz network and the sonos will be connected to its own mesh?

Your mobile can connect to your router’s 5GHz band and you will still be able to control the Sonos speakers using the app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

so in the case with the roam, which i have, the system (3 sonos ones and one roam) would be connected through sonosnet mesh (even with 2.4gz turned off), but the roam would not be apart of the that connection paradigm, but would still be considered part of the whole sonos environment and would show up within the “sonos grouping” when trying to do volume changes to the system as a whole through 5gz?

That would be slick as hell if that actually how it works in real world….i’ve been trying to figure out how ot have this sonos system work in a stable environment, but no lose the overall network speed gains i’ve achieved through wifi 6….this sounds like it could be the ticket…..

gg

Userlevel 7

so in the case with the roam, which i have, the system (3 sonos ones and one roam) would be connected through sonosnet mesh (even with 2.4gz turned off), but the roam would not be apart of the that connection paradigm, but would still be considered part of the whole sonos environment and would show up within the “sonos grouping” when trying to do volume changes to the system as a whole through 5gz?

That would be slick as hell if that actually how it works in real world….i’ve been trying to figure out how ot have this sonos system work in a stable environment, but no lose the overall network speed gains i’ve achieved through wifi 6….this sounds like it could be the ticket…..

Yes. The Ones and Roam will be visible in the app and allow grouping between them.

My iPhone/iPad only connects to 5GHz and I can control all the Sonos devices using SonosNet, plus the Moves on the router’s 5GHz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Be aware that some routers cannot handle some devices on one frequency (eg Roam on 2.4) and other devices on a different frequency (eg your phone on 5GHz). There are a surprising amount of these stupid routers. This can affect any device not on SonosNet (eg Roams, Moves, phones).

Essentially you “just” need data paths between all your devices.  A controller app can send a command over 5GHz WiFi to the router, and then out over the cable to a wired One then via SonosNet to a wireless One.  A Move may connect via 5Ghz WiFi to the router.  The One and the Move can still be grouped and play in perfect sync, because the packets of music data can still be whizzed to both speakers, along with the timing cues that allow them to sync.

SonosNet and WiFi, being different wireless protocols, cannot talk wirelessly to each other.  That is why at least one wired Sonos deevice is needed in order for data to route between them.

So it SHOULD work as you wish.  With many routers it WILL work like that.  And yes, that is pretty swish.  However, @controlav is correct that there are routers out there that seem to have an attitude towards data of “they shall not pass” so it would be a brave man who said this will 100% definitely work for you.

Edit; one thing you DO need is for all devices to be on the same subnet.