Sonos Connect - cannot factory reset (flashing orange-white, never green)

• 2 November 2022
  • 56 replies

Show first post

56 replies

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Hi, I had the same problem BUT it was solved by putting in an ethernet cable! Big thanks!

Wrong thread

This is suspicious, could Sonos have deliberately sabotaged the Sonos Connect, or made a mistake in the software update? I also have the same problem here.

I have had contact with Sonos Support and conclusion was: device is dead, that’s what orange-white flashing light after factory reset means.

I have the same issue.  Went away for 2 weeks (with the Connect:Amp plugged in and on), but upon my return it did not work.   Same issue as OP and others above.

I have 4 Connect:Amp devices, and the other 3 work fine.  All are hardwired with Ethernet.

Factory reset was not helpful - I can get to the point where it asks to press the button (which I do with all of my might), but with no positive result.

I am not sure what to do, now that I have 3 working Connect:Amp devices and one broken one.  I suppose I could buy another one (used on eBay or something). 

It does seem like a lot of us are having this problem all of a sudden, but again we are a self-selecting group.

If anyone makes any headway, please keep this group posted.

Hey Buzz,

I don’t think that it failed too fast, per se.  I just think it’s curious that so many of the same model had reported failures around the same time.  It’s not really a question of philosophy, nor of the lifecycle of electronics.  The real question is whether the failed unit can be resurrected or not (and if so, the steps to do so).  I think that’s the only question that the owners of these failed devices have.

As much as I respect the opinions provided, it’s a binary question.  Can a failed unit be made to work again?  That’s it; none of the other hand wringing or pontificating has any practical application.  Thus far it appears that the answer to the question is no.  There has not (yet) been a remedy discovered.

Having the same issue. Was out of the office over the weekend and came back and it was flashing white. Tried to factory reset and now flashing amber and white. Tried everything I can think of and suggested online. No green light :(

Its worked for me every time I’ve had an unusual issue with my Sonos equipment. I have already done everything stated here and some.

I have dealt with it as a new device and no joy. I appreciate your input but this isn't my first rodeo with Sonos stuff. I just wanted to voice that its happened to me as well with no resolution.

Thanks!

Factory reset is almost never, ever the answer to the vast majority of issues that you might run into. As the previous poster suggested, connecting with an Ethernet cable, even temporarily, helps reconnect.

Now that you’ve factory reset, you should deal with this as if it’s a new device. Easiest is to follow the recommendation to connect it temporarily with an Ethernet cable, then use the ‘add a device’ function in the mobile controller. 

Then I’d suggest that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

Maybe see if this will work for you which I found in a search for your router…

Xfinity Router

1. Navigate to https://internet.xfinity.com/
  2. Sign in with your Xfinity xFi account
  3. Once logged in, click the Devices or Connect tab, then click on the Paused Sonos device
  4. On the following page, click on the Unpaused Device button
  5. Click on Apply Changes to complete the unblocking process of the device
  6. Repeat for each Paused Sonos device
  7. Once completed, the Sonos Player(s) will be able to connect, register, update, or stream. You may need to reboot the affected Sonos component(s)

If one or more of your SONOS units is wired to the XFINITY Gateway, you are using SonosNet and SONOS will be ignoring the WiFi. The Gateway will be aware of the SONOS units, but will not be providing wireless support. In any case you should reserve IP addresses in the Gateway.

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.

Am thinking the recommended factory reset made it impossible to fix 

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.

If none of the units is wired, SonosNet is disabled and the units will switch to WiFi. But, they’ll need the WiFi credentials. Your Factory Reset CONNECT will become a problem because it no longer has the WiFi credentials.

Overall, I’m suspecting hardware issues with CONNECT.

The best plan would be to Factory Reset CONNECT so that we have a known starting point, wire one of the other units and CONNECT to the network, then add CONNECT as a new unit. Before disconnecting the network connections make sure that the WiFi credentials are correct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No help for your dead unit but as we have iffy power here I plug every Sonos into a good quality surge suppressor. Plug a lot of other stuff into them too, not just a Sonos issue!

I’ve had very good luck with Trip_lite units over many years, just buy based on the specs, not looks or price. Amazon links here but you might find better prices elsewhere.

Four to eight outlets, these are my gold standard, had a couple burn their inner parts to ash absorbing a surge, the plugged in devices survived. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005119M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nice for Play 1s, 3s and Ones, small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Compact and higher rated than the small one above.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000510R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Really low rating, I’d get something better.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-INSURANCE-TLP6B/dp/B006KAP4AK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Exact same issue here. According to this post 

my Connect’s manufacturing date is August 2015. I’m trying to downgrade to S1 without succes. In the middle of the process my Connect doesn’t seem to be able to connect to my home network, neither by wifi nor by ethernet cable. In the ethernet connected case, I see a steady green LED and a blinking yellow LED on the ethernet port.

So, what did Sonos Support say, when you contacted them?

My Sonos Connect (2015) does not show what version it is S1 or S2. When I try S1 Android software it cannot recognize Sonos. When I try S2 software it finds Sonos but cannot connect Sonos to wi-fi. At the stage to connect to SONOS wi-fi it stops recognizing device. Is there some way to find out what S version it is?

I am having this exact issue as well. I had this connect in storage for over a year. Pull it out, plug it in, orange and white flashing, never goes green. I see it on the network, but can’t connect to it. Factory reset does nothing. Nothing about the network or set up has changed. It was just in storage. 

What did Sonos support say about it, when you called in?

Hi.  Failure to factory reset normally indicates a hardware failure.  What is the back story here?  Why are you trying to reset the device?

Thank you for you fast reply!

After running successfully for two years, the Connect was powered down for 3 weeks while I was away. 

When I returned the Connect powered up only to the stage of having a flashing white LED.    The Sonos app could not see the Connect to bring it into the Sonos system.

I tried a factory reset that did not result in a flashing orange-white but never a permanent green LED.

Interestingly, the Connect often transmitted an SSID for a connection, and the Sonos app did sometimes see the Connect, to connect to it, but the remainder of that installation frose at that point (the Sonos app did not progress with the installation).

So I tried more factory resets that failed (flaashing white-orange but no green led)

I think the Connect might have a corrupted OS-Software. 

- Is there a way to write the a base load software directly to the Connect?
 - is there a way to debug a Connect that does not factory reset?

I feel like the hardware is OK, but the software might be corrupted.   I don’t want to be forced into buying a new box for this simple prioblem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As a test, wire the CONNECT to the LAN.

In general, Factory Reset complicates issues.

When you wire to the LAN, lack of or erratic port lights indicates hardware failure.