Answered

Sonos App doesn't find existing system.

Show first post

89 replies

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have similar problem , sometimes the app tells me that system is not found and to go through find my system steps , it then gets stuck on finding the system and never does work. 

when I remove the app couple of times from background then it starts to work , but its nor reliable solution at all...

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

EITHER: Put the Deco into bridge (AP) mode

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

More robust solution? Sonos makes clear in the system requirements that all devices must be on the same subnet. The problem is that many people deploy a WiFi mesh router without knowing what it’s actually doing to their local network.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app.

What gyrations? Are you saying devices other than the iPhone 11 can’t access the Sonos system? In that case you’d better explain what you’ve done so far.

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app. 

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

No. 

The fact is that Sonos has mixed results on WiFI meshes (in WiFi mode), for various reasons, and the standard advice if problems occur is to wire Sonos to the primary mesh node. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It doesn't work satisfactorily (for me anyway) but others may have better luck.

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

I'm only speaking from personal experience.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

Not a Bridge (obviously, since that’s S1 only), but why exactly is wiring to a LAN port on the primary node doomed to failure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm on Deco S4's in "Router Mode".

Your best bet is to connect Sonos via the Deco WiFi (NOT wired SonosNet).

Once all Sonos Speakers are connected to the Deco SSID make sure your Phones, controllers ONLY connect to same SSID.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

I didn't just want Access Point Mesh, I wanted the S4's to take over running our network.

Took a bit of faffing to get Sonos onto the Deco wifi network but once on it's been as stable as SonosNet ever was imho.

Overall I was very weary of introducing a Mesh system into our house but the Deco S4's have been brilliant.

Echo above frustrations; cannot connect, early adopter of sonos products, 15+ installed base,  I have no sound in the house.  Tried hardwired suggestion it worked for that one sonos product, and that would cut in and out. Using TP Link Deco mesh network.  All other smart house non-Sonos items working.

15 speakers, Sonos boost, Sonos Port…. the Sonos system decided one day to no longer connect. Silence.  
:( including from Sonos support…. it’s my fault (aka my network) while every other device in the house has it figured out….hmmmmm

After going around in circles following the Sonos instructions numerous times without success, I finally removed the app completely from my wife’s phone. I then downloaded and reinstalled the app. It asked some new questions (specifically about access to Bluetooth) and then connected like a charm. Definitely a software problem, not a network problem. 

Once you’ve decided that the issue cannot be [...] or must be [...] it is likely that you will be blindsided. Play the percentages, For this sort of issue the high percentage case you should investigate first is the network.

I can assure you, the issue isn’t with the Sonos software. It is indeed an issue with the network you have. However, as you’ve expressed an unwillingness to accept solutions, I won’t offer any. 

Unable to connet to Sonos … this is sooooo annoying. Nearly every time I want to watch TV or listen to music same problem. The suggested solutions are really not customer friendly. Every time I should reset the router, unplug the Sonos speakers, search for equipment, etc etc 
I am pretty sure now I will receive a questions about my setup - it is simple, a simple WiFi router, no mesh, no nothing, And reading throught the list of complains, I would believe it is not an issue of the WiFi, but an issue with the Sonos software.
The Sonos app says “Unable to connect” while some (not all!) speakers are still visible in Apple Music. And that is the main issue and the main annoyance and frustration I experience. Totally unpredictable. sometimes it works, then it does not longer, then - without changing anything - all speakers are back again. Software is really terrible! And the suggested solutions are a total failure and not helpful.

I made the mistake of deleting my network from the app (not that it would matter, since I upgraded my router and the password changed). I didn’t realize that would disconnect my play ones from my router, and now the S2 app will not “Find System”, the page only refreshes without result only have to click it over and over again.

I pulled one down and hooked it up to ethernet and the app automatically connected to all my play 1’s. Stranger still is that I can stream through the other play 1s elsewhere in the house even though they are NOT connected to my router or ethernet except for the one; How is that possible?

Soon as I disconnect the ethernet, the app locks up back to “Fix it” which uses the same broken tool “Find System”

It’s worked flawlessly for years and now, I have a bunch of paperweights.

Having the exact same problem, tried everything that was suggested, no help, no solution. A horrible experience.

SonosNet is an option, you could easily just connect your single speaker to the wifi if you so chose.

SonosNet would have the Beam connecting through your router to talk to your phone. Some routers seem to have difficulties switching between data on 2.4Ghz versus 5Ghz connections, so that might be something to check.

Technically, with one speaker and no BRIDGE/BOOST, you’re not actually using SonosNet at all, you’re just directly wired to the router. 

I have only 1 sonos unit at this installation, the beam 2.  Would the sonos net be 'talking' to my cell phone over that net or my wifi 2.4ghz?  Is sonosnet necessary for a simple 1 device 'system'?

It may be helpful to provide some explanation about why having one device temporarily hardwired to a router might magically ‘fix’ some issues that cannot be fixed via a Wifi connection.

When a wired connection is available, all of the SONOS units except ROAM and MOVE will switch to a private wireless mesh network called SonosNet. SonosNet is designed to provide robust wireless audio support. As you have discovered WiFi can be problematic. Yes, I know that WiFi can usually support phones, pads, TV’s, etc., but these are simple connections. Usually the device simply needs to get out to the Internet. SONOS, on the other hand is very complex because all of the players need to be able to talk to each other and the controlling pad/phone/computer. Network issues will impact SONOS before the other, simpler devices.

In your case there would be some WiFi interference near BEAM.

Anyway, if you can establish a connection using SonosNet, you can update the WiFi SSID and Password without having an actual WiFi connection to the SONOS system. Once the WiFi credentials have been corrected, assuming that the WiFi network is healthy enough, SONOS will switch over to WiFi after all of the wired connections are removed. Give the system a couple minutes to work through the details before and after terminating the wired connection.

This excellent Hardware deserves better Software.

The Sonos 2 Android App and Sonos PC App both fail to connect to my one simple Sonos Beam 2 device nearly every time I attempt to use them.  Very occasionally, after many attempts to find and re-establish a wifi connection I am able to launch the S2 App.  Both Beam 2 and Android cell phone are on same 2.4 GHz SSID of my mesh system which includes 5 GHz branches as well.  Alexa works every time I call her name and the TV audio via HDMI ARC seems to work reliably, so the BEAM 2, or at least the Amazon Alexa part of the Beam 2 always seem to be reliably connected to my 2.4 GHz Wifi. The SONOS Beam 2 has a manually assigned ip Address in my router.  My router is physically not near the Beam 2 so a hardwired LAN cable is not something I want to do.

It may be helpful to provide some explanation about why having one device temporarily hardwired to a router might magically ‘fix’ some issues that cannot be fixed via a Wifi connection.

It would be helpful if the S2 App would save and show previously made settings for system devices even if the Device cannot be found in this instance and then highlight whichever setting is ‘causing’ a problem.

This excellent Hardware deserves better Software.

When you connect at least one device to your router with an Ethernet cable, they all are supposed to switch over to SonosNet, at least those that can. 

At that point, you can go in to the controller and enter the new SSID and password for your network, so that all the connected speakers will reconnect to your network now that you’ve changed everything. Once that’s done, removing the Ethernet cable will have everything switch back to your WiFi. 

I made the mistake of deleting my network from the app (not that it would matter, since I upgraded my router and the password changed). I didn’t realize that would disconnect my play ones from my router, and now the S2 app will not “Find System”, the page only refreshes without result only have to click it over and over again.

I pulled one down and hooked it up to ethernet and the app automatically connected to all my play 1’s. Stranger still is that I can stream through the other play 1s elsewhere in the house even though they are NOT connected to my router or ethernet except for the one; How is that possible?

Soon as I disconnect the ethernet, the app locks up back to “Fix it” which uses the same broken tool “Find System”

It’s worked flawlessly for years and now, I have a bunch of paperweights.

Such a shame that you waited 25+ years (sic) to join the forum, and then chose to try to resurrect the S1/S2 issue, and litter your post with misinformation. It's really not worth the effort - you might as well leave that to the trolls.

It sounds like a flaky network to me. Or perhaps an overly complicated/segmented one, which the ‘average consumer’ wouldn’t have but an ‘IT professional’ might.

And, yes, the first Sonos products shipped in January 2005, not 1997 or before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos was founded in 2002 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos) so you must have been a pretty early customer. Sonos has not killed all support for previous products - older products are still supplied with safety updates (though to be honest Sonos had to be persuaded by a public outcry to keep doing this). There’s just the early Sonos remote that is unsupported. Missed by some, but for most this is easily replaced by a smart phone.

You just can’t mix’n’match S1 and S2 products, but if you do not want to add old products, stay on S1 and you will be fine for some time.

Since you give no facts on you wifi (mesh, access points?) I cannot comment on you problems. Not sure what you mean by the “new systems can’t manage both wired and wireless”. Can you explain - that is if you want any help?

Userlevel 2

Just have to say…I’ve been in love with your products for like 25+ years and an advocate.  But honestly, since you made this move of versions along with killing all support for previous products, your entire system is a total mess.  What worked beautifully without a hitch for years is now a nightmare.

I say this after breaking down and spending ridiculous amounts rebuying ‘new generation products’ even though the old ones worked great.  Ever since, your entire system is totally flaky - period!  
‘The setup is excruciating and took me hours and many retries to get it going. The new systems can’t manage both wired and wireless even though all devices are on the same network!  
So after tons of frustration, I finally got everything connected and working.  Since that point, twice now, the system loses its setup and the app goes into “I can’t find your devices, so LET’S FIX IT”, and the whole nightmare starts all over again.  Your product and Software team needs to take a serious look in the mirror, acknowledge, and fix the mess.  I guarantee you are losing loyal customers every minute and people who once were advocates would now never recommend your products to a friend. Such a shame!

I am happy to correspond with anyone who wants to get the straight scoop.  Oh and by the way, I’m an IT professional with deep technical capabilities!   So if I can’t get it to work, I pity the average consumer!