Sonos App controls no longer appear on your lock screen

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

226 replies

That will teach Sonos to release a “hack” unsupported by Apple in order to provide functionality to iOS users. Given the number of complaints, and anger generated by the fact that Apple made a change that stopped the “hack” from continuing to work, Sonos would have been better off not releasing it until they could get official support for the process from Apple, which I suspect they’re still waiting on.

But they still use this "hack" as you can re-enable lock screen controls by disabling Airplay on all devices that support it. Then magically this "hack" works again! So it is not that they removed it from their software to be in line with Apple's policy.

And what we all request is simply to add a switch within the Sonos app to enable/disable Airplay2 for Sonos. It is really arrogant from Sonos to suggest disabling Airplay everywhere except the Sonos system itself. I was planning to add another Sonos speaker to my system, but after this I decided to hold on.
Userlevel 1
SOLUTION!!!

This works with my setup. Macs, IPads, Apple Watch, iPhone and 3 Airport Extremes.

1. Create a guest network.
2. Put all your devices that use airplay on the guest network.
3. Leave Sonos on your default network.
4. When need to stream to Airplay devices log in to guest network.

Have a nice day! :D

These fixes are all like one step above "if you don't use a PIN to lock your phone, you won't have to enter a PIN to access the Sonos controls!"
That will teach Sonos to release a “hack” unsupported by Apple in order to provide functionality to iOS users. Given the number of complaints, and anger generated by the fact that Apple made a change that stopped the “hack” from continuing to work, Sonos would have been better off not releasing it until they could get official support for the process from Apple, which I suspect they’re still waiting on.
This is absolutely ridiculous. It was so easy before to stop music or turn up volume. You need to fix this ASAP.
SOLUTION!!!

This works with my setup. Macs, IPads, Apple Watch, iPhone and 3 Airport Extremes.

1. Create a guest network.
2. Put all your devices that use airplay on the guest network.
3. Leave Sonos on your default network.
4. When need to stream to Airplay devices log in to guest network.

Have a nice day! 😃
If you're just venting...ok. If you aren't interesting in airplay 2 and want your lock screen controls back, read through the thread a bit as the steps to get the lock screen controls back are spelled out a few times.
The steps you mention includes disabling airplay from AppleTV and other devices using airplay. For me and many others that is not an option at all, because we use ours AppleTV`s every day.

Which is why I prefaced the statement with 'if'.

The only solution for us would be to have an option to disable airplay 2 in Sonos-meny and ger the lock-screen controls back. I dont see why we should have airplay 2 functionality at all, as Sonos functioned super for us as it was before.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying as I think auto-correct may have messed with it, but if you're saying that you would like an option in Sonos to turn off Sonos speakers as airplay compatible and thus get the lock screen controls back....yea, I don't know why that's not an option. Since airplay 2 was live with Apple before it was live with Sonos, and the lockscreen controls were there in that middle timeframe, it seems like this would be possible, but I don't know for sure. As well, Apple could resolve the issue by implementing a proper way for home audio systems to use the lock screen, as android phones do. I am kind of doubtful that Apple will get enough pressure to do that though.
Badge
If you're just venting...ok. If you aren't interesting in airplay 2 and want your lock screen controls back, read through the thread a bit as the steps to get the lock screen controls back are spelled out a few times.
The steps you mention includes disabling airplay from AppleTV and other devices using airplay. For me and many others that is not an option at all, because we use ours AppleTV`s every day.
The only solution for us would be to have an option to disable airplay 2 in Sonos-meny and ger the lock-screen controls back. I dont see why we should have airplay 2 functionality at all, as Sonos functioned super for us as it was before.
SUPER ANGRY AND DISAPPOINTED. Really? Completely functional pre-update. No warning on the app about what was getting ready to be taken away.

FIX YOUR STUPID APP. This is why no one ever wants to update, because you're either effing up the UX, or taking basic functionality away. So not impressed with your company right now.
Yeah, this is still frustrating me. I would really appreciate if Sonos would fix this immediately. Been eying some of the Alexa enabled speakers, but will not be buying any more (I have 4, a bridge and amp) until this is fixed.
This is ridiculous! Sonos - you should bring back functionality for those of us who use AirPlay devices such as Apple TV. It truly makes me re think my future options of upgrading etc. I'm not going to buy compatible devices just for you. Fix it.

You should take a look at the link @WouterT provided. It does a pretty good job of explaining the issue I think. Maybe Sonos can figure out a way to 'rehack' it to get it to work, but I think it's unlikely they haven't already fully explored the possiblitieis. An iOS change that actually supports the functionality you want would surely be a better solution. If I understand it all correctly, you aren't going to find another home audio system that has lock screen controls on an iPhone since it's not supported by Apple.
This is ridiculous! Sonos - you should bring back functionality for those of us who use AirPlay devices such as Apple TV. It truly makes me re think my future options of upgrading etc. I'm not going to buy compatible devices just for you. Fix it.
So like others I am really annoyed by the latest "update". I invested a lot in my Sonos system (5 Connects, 2 Connect Amps, 1 Play1) and I regularly use my iPhone lock screen controls and my Apple Watch to control it. I followed others advice and went through and disabled AirPlay on all my Apple TVs and disconnected my Integra receiver from my network, as apparently there is no way to manually disable AirPlay. I was then able to get my lock screen controls back.

However I noticed some odd behavior which I don't think has been mentioned here. If I play an Apple Music playlist from within Sonos, my lock screen controls disappear again. If I go back to Sirius or a non-Apple Music source, they come back. I thought I was going crazy at first but tried it a few times with the same results.

So Apple Music, even with AirPlay disabled seems to mess things up. And I was careful to close all Music-related apps (including Apple Music) on my iPhone before doing any of this (not sure if that's necessary).

Anyone else notice that Apple Music screws things up even if AirPlay is disabled?
Badge
I am just as disappointed as all others. Just writing this reply to let SONOS know. I just this functionality with my Apple Watch and phone..until the update. Please make a workaround for your customers who are using this. I don't even have AIRPLAY speakers from SONOS.
😞
I’ve disabled Airplay on all my Apple TVs, reset the Sonos controller, rebooted....still not getting my lock screen controls back. What am I doing wrong?
Interesting to read: Sonos was using a workaround for lock screen controls - playing silent music?!

https://www.johnlarge.co.uk/sonos-lock-screen-controls-broken-on-ios-after-version-9-0-update/
Shame on you Sonos! :@
You should have anticipated on the fact that a whole lot of Sonos users would be upset with this change. Acknowledge you made a huge mistake and come up with a switch (default: Airplay 2 support OFF - so lock controls work). You better respond fast with the promise to fix this within the next few weeks.
So, I went ahead and turned off AirPlay on all 3 of our Apple TV units (we rarely use it anyway, and then only on one of them). Lock screen and Apple Watch control immediately returned. I did not have to may any chances on my Mac, our two MacBooks or any of our iPhones or iPads. While not ideal, this works for now. Glad to have this functionality back.
So something weird happened yesterday. I was actually able to control everything that was being played on my Sonos Beam right from my iPhone's lock screen. And this while there was an Apple TV running on the same network with Airplay enabled.

For content that was being played on Apple TV I was only able to control volume from the lock screen. Playing music, I had access to all controls.

I figured it was a software update that fixed this, but when I woke up this morning it was gone. And now I want it back. Does anyone know how this could have happened? Is it a bug? Reproducible?

You can control an Airplay 2 source (i.e. the Apple TV) from the lock screen. What you cannot do is control the Sonos app from the lock screen.

That's the weird thing - yesterday I did control the Sonos app from the lock screen.
So something weird happened yesterday. I was actually able to control everything that was being played on my Sonos Beam right from my iPhone's lock screen. And this while there was an Apple TV running on the same network with Airplay enabled.

For content that was being played on Apple TV I was only able to control volume from the lock screen. Playing music, I had access to all controls.

I figured it was a software update that fixed this, but when I woke up this morning it was gone. And now I want it back. Does anyone know how this could have happened? Is it a bug? Reproducible?

You can control an Airplay 2 source (i.e. the Apple TV) from the lock screen. What you cannot do is control the Sonos app from the lock screen.
agree the update has caused a lot of problems and doesn't seem to have improved anything Shame On Sonos

This is sonos response to me today. They have no plans to fix the issue. It’s a big FU to all us Apple TV and iPhone users. Basically you have to turn off AirPlay every time you want to play music. I wish I never invested $500 in my system. Sonos you suck

Badge +1
Not only is the lock screen disabled, but I can’t even play music from my phone’s iTunes library without it skipping to the next track every couple minutes.

Same here: exactly this problem since last update. Plays spotify OK but it will no longer play from iTunes library (.m4a files) held on a Windows PC. This has mean I can no longer use my large music collection, all of which is held on iTunes. That was the sole reason I bought Sonos in the first place. It's a complete disaster, yet despite many other people reporting this problem in other posts I have yet to see Sonos acknowledge that there is even a problem. It used to work (I have been using it without a single hitch for years) but now it doesn't.

SONOS, are you there?? Please acknowledge the issue and let everybody know when it will be fixed.

Note: I use Sonos net (Ethernet connection) -- there are definitely no network congestion issues so please Sonos do not even suggest that that might be the cause.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos is garbage. Not only is the lock screen disabled, but I can’t even play music from my phone’s iTunes library without it skipping to the next track every couple minutes. Used to only be an issue with podcasts but now it’s gotten so bad that I can’t even play a three minute song all the way through without interruption. What a rip off.