Question

Sonos AMP crackling sound.

• 10 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi we have multiple sonos products in our system.

Been using Sonos Amp for most part of the year. Several weeks ago it started having crackling sound while watching TV on all apps.

Sonos System still on S1. Sonos Amp wired thru ethernet and hooked to an LG C8 oled via hdmi arc and paired with a Sonos SUB v2.  Tried setting the sound output to both PCM and AUTO still the crackling remains.Happens every now and then but now getting more frequently. Sounds ok when I switch back to TV audio output using the built in speakers but when i switch back to the AMP via hdmi arc the crackling resumes. Playing music thru sonos using spotify and tidal no issues. All firmware both on TV and SONOS are updated.

Will updating to SONOS S2 solve this? but i really do not want to update as I have a mix of new and legacy devices.

I know the crackling issue here on the forums are a plenty but been a SONOS user for almost a decade and this is our first time with this issue. Yeah its been a frustrating experience at times but when it works its golden.

Please HELP.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mlabadan, thanks for the update. About this concern. On the diagnostics, it detects interference on Sonosnet. and since it’s happening on HDMI input of the Amp, for further assistance, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may ask for some troubleshooting steps and give additional options on what could be causing this issue.

Let me know your thoughts on the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

interference? maybe so, if the amp is connected via wifi...
the sonos amp and all the source devices connected to the tv including the tv itself is wired via ethernet cable. crackle happens only on hdmi input of amp. no issues whatsoever streaming music via sonos app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mlabadan, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report. Upon checking the diagnostic report that you’ve sent. It detects Interference on your devices. Kindly check this link about reducing interference on Sonos. Thanks for trying some troubleshooting steps on changing the cables as well. If this issue persists, we’ll take this further. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

crackling happens on any app or any sources (shieldtv, appletv) connected to the tv with sound output over hdmi arc to sonos amp.

no crackling at all if i chamge back to tv speaker output.

issue happens over hdmi arc to sonos. changing hdmi cables also does not help. used a different set of powered speakers over hdmi arc with no issues.

no crackling also when streaming music. 

diagnostic confirmation number : 1244947123

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @mlabadan, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to know about what’s happening with your Sonos. Thanks for checking all the necessary settings on the TV and trying some troubleshooting steps on this issue. Is this randomly happening on any content like TV or music or specific content only? I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.