Answered

Port digital output lacking treble

Hello,

my recently acquired port seems ti be a little dull when I connect it to myself Audiolab DAC .

I’m a sonos owner for more than 15 years now . I A/B compared myself old sonos connect plug in the COAX1 of my DAC and myself PORT connected to the COAX2 port.
Everything is OK with te connecte but the PORT seems to be muffled. The cymbals sound level is very low compared to the connect sound. With the RCA output there is no problem. I also swapped the DAC input , same problem.

The output setup of both sonos is fixed volume.
 Did you notices this problem and did you fixed it?
Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 April 2023, 13:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

What is the source of your music?

Deezer-->sonos port→ Audiolab Dac-->Naim amp
I have contacted the support.
The root cause is a recent update of the system, Sonos teams are working to solve the problem.
The workaround is to use the RCA outputs.

Wait and see.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Literally, a few minutes ago a PORT firmware update was released. While there is no claim that it addresses this issue, it’s worth checking this out.

my current version is the 

15.2 (nb 72239316) 

And there is no update available…..

I have the same problem with my Port in a simular setting. No treble, sounds dull, after the last update 2 days ago. I use a NAS. It must be an issue with the last update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The sound signature on the analog output also, again - again, has changed with this update, and when you adjust the balance control via System, the bass and treble also still changes completely randomly.

I'm getting a little tired of never knowing how my Port sounds after an update.

Same issue here, both on my Schiit Modius and ADI-2 DAC FS components. My ADI detects and warns me that the “Pre-Emphasis Flag” is detected on the SPDIF signal coming form the Port. Pre-emphasis means the highs have been boosted to mitigate potential signal noise, and requires “de-emphasizing” for proper playback. 

However, the signal from the Port’s SPDIF out is not actually pre-emphasized, so your DAC detects the flag in the signal, kicks in its de-emphasis support, and attenuates the high frequencies (~2–15KHz) leaving you with a muddy sound. Who knows what the code is actually doing, but this is how it manifests in my systems.

Glad to hear they’re working on a fix, but between SPDIF not working at all on some systems (fixed via recent firmware update), and now this, I’m pretty disappointed. 

I’m disappointed too.

No news from Sonos Support since they asked me if “I have an Audio Precision test device, or equipment that can generate Channel Status Bit metadata over SPDIF” 10 days ago…. 

Testing the 15.3 revision. It’s better. 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

But still on the analog output, when you adjust the slider on fx the balance control, the bass slider still changes completely randomly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Karimg et al

We now consider this issue fully resolved. If anyone is still experiencing problems, I recommend they get in touch with our technical support team. 

Thank you for your patience.