Playing different Spotify content in different rooms no longer working

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been using Sonos with Spotify for many years now, and have always been able to play different songs in different rooms without any problems.

However, after receiving and setting up my Roam earlier today, this is no longer the case… :-(

Every time I try to start playing one song in one room, and then start another in another room, the first room stops playing, and the Sonos App (S2) says the following:

«Playback stopped in XXX. The Spotify account is beeing used elsewhere» (May not be 100% correct, as it is loosely translated from norwegian, but anyway)

And yes, before anyone suggest the limitations related to Alexa/Google etc; this is using the native Sonos App only. No Spotify Connect involved either ;-)

If there has been made any changes to the terms and conditions, and/or how the integration with Spotify (and other services) works, and this is the case, I cannot recall being «warned» about this.

The ability to play different content in different rooms with one (1) Spotify-account has always been one of Sonos’ core strengt in my opinion.

I REALLY hope that this is just an temporary issue, or a bug introduced with one of the latest software-versions? Otherwise, the Sonos+Spotify experience is rendered somewhat useless… :-(

If anyone else is experiencing the same, please reply. I also hope that a representant from Sonos also reads this and can give feedback on this issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Opened a discussion today in the morning about this exact topic, but in German SONOS forum …

Using SONOS für 3 years, right now 4 Play:1 and 1 Move.

Problem started to occur yesterday in the evening.

Hope that it is fixed when I’m at home today in the evening; post by @ullefutz makes me hope for the best. 

Badge

It’s working again for us as well!!!  Thanks Sonos!  

As a note, I have automatic updates enabled, but didn’t have to manually apply a new update.  So, it either updated itself to a new version or they fixed it on the backend without creating a need to update locally.

Badge

As a note, I have automatic updates enabled, but didn’t have to manually apply a new update.  So, it either updated itself to a new version or they fixed it on the backend without creating a need to update locally.

Spotify fixed the problem. ;) And I can confirm it’s fixed.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Different-music-in-different-rooms-Sonos/td-p/5191774/page/2

Yea, it’s hard to conceive of this as being a Sonos issue, since the stream isn’t handled by Sonos at all until the point it reaches the speaker. I suspect they had a misconfigure of their server, but that’s only a guess. 

Badge

Spotify fixed the problem. ;) And I can confirm it’s fixed.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Different-music-in-different-rooms-Sonos/td-p/5191774/page/2

I was guessing it was a Spotify problem, but Sonos had to work with them to resolve the issue.  

I can confirm its now working again too - thanks to the Community for raising the issue and Sonos/Spotify for resolving it.  

What a relief!

I’m frustrated to tears. I can’t get back the hours I’ve poured into this. My Sonos is acting like I’m trying to play multiple streams from Spotify except I can’t even play ONE stream. It’s unusable. How can I fix this from my end? I’ve exhausted every forum, every article, every q&a. I’ve disconnected and reconnected the sonos, force signed out all Spotify logins, etc. I want to just return all my Sonos speakers at this point. I’ve spent two hours just today working on it… not to mention all the other days from when I added the roam speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried contacting Sonos?

Yep. Waiting for a response. Looks like this problem goes all the way back to 2016… hopefully there’s a solution. 

I have the same exact problem except the error message I receive is "unable to play (song name), connection to spotify was lost" Prior to last week, everything was working perfectly. A few days ago, I could stream the same song to different rooms, but couldn't stream different songs to different rooms. And now, I can't even stream to any room. Please help!

Update: After unplugging all of the speakers, I can confirm everything is functioning back to normal! 

I have found that the Sonos Roam cannot switch spotify accounts. I can ask my Sonos One to switch accounts and it works every time. Hopefully this will get fixed.