Playing different Spotify content in different rooms no longer working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

For years a single spotify account could play different playlists on multiple (non grouped) speakers.

Since last Friday you get that error message that your account is in use “somewhere else”!?!? and playback in the other room is stopped.

Spotify support says that they did not change anything!!!!!

Spotify Premium Family account.

I have the exact same problem since last Friday!

Spotify Premium Family account.

And Spotify support says that they did not change anything!!!!!

Same question as to @kingofcomedy  - have you added all Spotify Family accounts to Sonos and can you play from two different accounts simultaneously?  (I know this doesn’t address the single account question, but may allow you to listen as you wish until that is settled.)

Hi,

Same problem with my Sonos infra

Spotify Premium Account

Started somwhere between last Friday & Saturday

Thank you for you help on this

These concurrent stream limitations are enforced by the streaming service, not Sonos.  I’m guessing you didn’t change your subscription recently, but you might want to check with that.  A possible test to try would be to play spotify through Sonos and on your phone at the same time and see if that’s allowed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

These concurrent stream limitations are enforced by the streaming service, not Sonos.  I’m guessing you didn’t change your subscription recently, but you might want to check with that.  A possible test to try would be to play spotify through Sonos and on your phone at the same time and see if that’s allowed.

Yes, I know that such issues might also be related to the streaming service itself, and I know that there are limitations on playing Spotify on Sonos and other devices (such as Mobile, Laptop etc.) at the same time.

However, this is not the case here, as this is within Sonos eco-system only, and no other non-Sonos devices are involved at any time.

My subscription/plan with Spotify has not changed either...

I am pretty sure that it was possible to play multiple streams on Sonos from a single Spotify account when I last used Spotify, although that must be at least a couple of years ago.  

I now use Amazon Music and that definitely allows multiple streams from a single account.

This does not apply if Alexa is used - only one stream is then possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s strange. Can’t replicate the behaviour described above now. Seems I can play two different songs from the same Spotify account. Maybe I used a combination of streams earlier (from the Sonos app and from the Spotify app). Sorry to confuse you all.

The Roam can only be connected by wifi, while other speakers can be connected by Sonosnet too. Can this be the reason you have this problem? Or are your other speakers also on wifi.

FWIW, I can play a different Amazon Music stream through a Roam just as with any of my other speakers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @balle3201, understood.

Just to confirm when you mention the routine to start music at bedtime, is that via a voice assistant, or alarms set via the Sonos app?

If you’re using a voice assistant for the routines, then it’s expected that this wouldn’t work - multiple Spotify streams can only be started via the Sonos app. If you are indeed using a voice assistant for these routines, is it possible that you were previously using different music services for each routine?

Regarding multiple streams via the Sonos app though, this should definitely be working. I don't see a reason for the introduction of the Roam to have changed this - however, as it lines up with when the Roam was added, it may well be worth performing a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then rebooting your router to refresh the network to see if there’s any change.

If you’re still having issues without the Roam however, then feel free to include a diagnostic with your next reply and I can take a quick look :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I seem to remember you can definitely play multiple songs on different speakers from the same Spotify account when played via the App.  I think Sonos has a kind of dispensation for this feature.

However, initiating the playback via ‘Voice' resulted in the above issue.

I am happy to be proved wrong, but I shall be amazed if the installation of the Roam is anything other than a coincidence. 

I would definitely reboot the Sonos system and the router.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @balle3201, understood.

Just to confirm when you mention the routine to start music at bedtime, is that via a voice assistant, or alarms set via the Sonos app?

If you’re using a voice assistant for the routines, then it’s expected that this wouldn’t work - multiple Spotify streams can only be started via the Sonos app. If you are indeed using a voice assistant for these routines, is it possible that you were previously using different music services for each routine?

Regarding multiple streams via the Sonos app though, this should definitely be working. I don't see a reason for the introduction of the Roam to have changed this - however, as it lines up with when the Roam was added, it may well be worth performing a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then rebooting your router to refresh the network to see if there’s any change.

If you’re still having issues without the Roam however, then feel free to include a diagnostic with your next reply and I can take a quick look :)

Hi, @Xander P 

Aaaarghhh, this is driving me nuts :confounded:

I just tried the following:

• Removing/Resetting the Sonos Roam
  • Rebooting my router
  • Rebooting Sonos Boost
  • Removed and reconnected Spotify

...And it is still acting up. I don’t get it :sob:

Regarding the routines: Yes, they are initiated through native alarms in Sonos, so it should (and has) work perfectly.

I just submitted Diagnostics with ID: 483321382