Question

Playbar optical input poor quality sound

Badge

The sound output on some channels keeps dropping/poor quality - Sky main event on BT sport is the worst!. The cable no longer held in sonos playbar firmly. Changing cable makes no difference. 

Is this a known fault ? Seems that the physical input has failed. Works on wifi ok. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pjf749, thanks for the quick update. If this issue only happens on specific or certain channels and not on all, it may be the channel itself. But to check on this further. If it’s on the channels or the outlet for the optical cable. Kindly contact our phone support team so they can check further and give options on this issue. 

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge

But the sound is fine through the tv sound system - so are you saying its a broadband issue? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pjf749, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report. Upon checking. It shows and detects the optical cable connected now. If it is still the same issue in terms of sound quality and happening on almost all contents, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may be able to give further assistance and options regarding this matter. 

If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Badge

I have repeated the diagnostic this time holding the optical input in. place - sound wasn't perfect on the channel being viewed. 

Also see photo of input - the cover no longer springs back 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pjf749, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report. As I check the information, it shows that the Toslink or the optical cable is inactive. Kindly try to unplug it for 1 minute and also check the covering and replug it back in. If this won’t still work, then we need to take this further. 

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pjf749, thanks for the update and the information that you provided. And for checking and changing the cables of the Playbar. So we can gather further information about the status of your Sonos system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Badge

No plastic cover - its the same cable that has been used for several years. Tried new cable but returned as made no difference

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Make sure you removed the plastic protective tip from the end of the fiber optic, that would prevent the plug from firmly fitting into the Playbar (or TV).

Badge

This issue started a few weeks ago - on one channel only - Sky Sports - occurred with the “crowd” noise added to football matched with no crowd. I then thought it was the sound transmission at that time. Was worse on HD version of the channel.

Recently changed tv, and mounted playbar on the wall. Optical input then coming into the top of the unit. The cable doesn't “clip” in - its loose. Bad sound now on more channels. Has got to the point using TV sound for films etc. WiFi music  all ok . 

Careful manipulation of the cable can improve sound but will drop in and out. A new cable has the same issue. 

Do you want photo of the input? 

Regards

Peter

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @pjf749, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up, and I know where you're coming from. for the sound output issue you have with your Sonos Playbar, I’ll be asking some questions to further check on this concern.

• When did it start happening for this issue?
  • Are there any changes made in the setting son the TV or the Sonos App?
  • Is it happening all the time? All the time or randomly on specific channels?
  • Have you tried music content? If the same issue is happening? or just on TV channel channels?

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.