Answered

Playback was interrupted because your wifi network is unstable - while playing internet radio

• 1 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I am confused here. I didn’t change anything in my setup and my radio playback (both TuneIn and myTuner) and gets choppy (random brakes every couple of minutes/seconds).

If my ios app is open I see the message as in the title. 

Spotify/Airplay runs fine - no breaks. 

I did reset the app and devices. I even switched to wired setup and created mesh network. Then I turned off both of my wifi networks: 2.4 and 5 GHz. 

It’s still the same on all of my receivers (play 5, play1, move, one). It even persist on the one which is directly connected to the router.

My router has enough of bandwidth: 

Downstream :

85.1 Mbit/s

Upstream :

38.8 Mbit/s

I could buy Sonos Boost but now I am bit doubtful if this will help. Can I get into some kind of logs/debug messages to see what is causing buffering issues?

Any clues? 

icon

Best answer by piotr.dz 5 August 2021, 15:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The speed your router has to the outside world is not the issue being referenced. The speed/reliability/bandwidth between the speakers themselves and your router is the key thing. I’d recommend reading the wifi interference FAQ. 

Refrain from factory resetting any SONOS units without further consult.

Submit a Diagnostic and post the confirmation number here. We don’t have access to the Diagnostics but SONOS staff can comment.

If you can wire one or more units to your network, BOOST will not likely to provide any benefit.

Since SPOTIFY runs OK, the issue is most likely out in the Internet somewhere. Is the issue present with all Internet radio or only your favorite station?

If you play only on the wired unit (no Group) is the issue still present?

Diagnostic confirmation number: 656179251

I’ve split the play 1 units to leave only the one with ethernet cable for tests and still having buffering issues. It’s happening on all radio stations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @piotr.dz 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It looks like your speakers are having trouble receiving the stream. I recommend you unplug your router from power for at least 30 seconds.

I also recommend that you keep one Sonos unit wired, to minimise disconnects. Alternatively, separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on your router so they have different SSIDs (broadcasted names).

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Hello,

I am getting back to you with the results. I’ve check all devices in my network again and one was experiencing high network load due to the bug in the software running on it. After fixing this playback got back to the stable state.

On the bright side, I have now wired/dedicated mesh setup for my speakers so the whole thing is running snappy now. 

Thank you very much for your support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @piotr.dz 

Thanks for sharing that update! I’m glad to hear things have improved for you, and you are very welcome!