Question

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

• 19 February 2015
  • 91 replies

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

I am having same issue diag 7218635 have rebooted tried different op cable just no tv sound
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I am having same issue diag 7218635 have rebooted tried different op cable just no tv sound

Hey gbond - welcome to the community and for passing along the diagnostic. As a test, can you wire the optical cable to a different device, such as a cable box or a DVD/Blu-ray player to see if you then get audio?

Can you also let me know the make and model of your TV?
Hi
I think it appears to have sorted itself I ended up power all the device off for a couple of min & the problem appears to have gone away for the moment
I too am having issues with my Playbar. It streams music from Pandora fine but no sound from TV through optical cable. I checked the cable and it's lit red coming from TV. I've tried pulling the power cord, plugging another device directly to Playbar, and no luck.

Here's the Diagnostic number: 7227423

I hope you can help!
While you wait for Sonos to swing by and look at that diagnostic, may I suggest that you look at the audio settings for both the TV and for the devices that are connected to it? It's feasible that there was a background update that changed the settings that you made to keep it at Dolby Digital or PCM/Stereo.
Bruce,

Thanks for your help. I went in to double check my settings and they are set properly. Still no luck.
Well, now we wait for Sonos folks to look at that diagnostic. Sorry my suggestion didn't pan out.
Userlevel 2
Hi There my diag number is 7234511.
My sound bar is neither visible nor playing. I have cycled the power and saw momentarily but now can't see. I can't see my sub either. I can't see other players from time to time and the alarm hasn't worked the past two days.
can you please take a look.
thanks,
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I too am having issues with my Playbar. It streams music from Pandora fine but no sound from TV through optical cable. I checked the cable and it's lit red coming from TV. I've tried pulling the power cord, plugging another device directly to Playbar, and no luck.
Here's the Diagnostic number: 7227423
I hope you can help!

Hi mikeqhoang, welcome to the community. Your diagnostic shows no signal coming into the PLAYBAR from the optical cable. This could be a problem with the cable or the port. Are you still using the original optical cable which came with the PLAYBAR? Ensure there are no sharp kinks or crimps in the cable. Please remove it from the PLAYBAR end and tell me if you see a red light shining through (maybe point it at some blank paper). If you don't see the red light,, then you may need a new cable. If you do, we might be looking at problem with the PLAYBAR's port and in that case we'd set up a replacement for you.

Hi There my diag number is 7234511.
My sound bar is neither visible nor playing. I have cycled the power and saw momentarily but now can't see. I can't see my sub either. I can't see other players from time to time and the alarm hasn't worked the past two days.
can you please take a look.
thanks,

Hi babythirteen, your issue seems a little different. I can see other players in range of the BRIDGE which are not properly connecting for some reason. Please tell us more about your network; other than the main router, is there anything else like a secondary router or wireless extender in the house? If you restart your router, does the Sonos system come back? If it does, try to send us a diagnostic showing all the players on it. We can get the logs from them then showing what was happening when they were disconnected.
I have same problem. It was working perfectly for 1.5 years but suddenly stopped yesterday. Restart didn't work. Checked all cable connections are secure. Updated software on Sonos and Samsung TV. Diagnostic number 7364937. Please help!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have same problem. It was working perfectly for 1.5 years but suddenly stopped yesterday. Restart didn't work. Checked all cable connections are secure. Updated software on Sonos and Samsung TV. Diagnostic number 7364937. Please help!
Hi apatt, welcome to the community. I've reviewed your diagnostic. Please back sure the optical cable is fully pushed in on both sides. Also, please check that the TV settings haven't changed.
Hi apatt, welcome to the community. I've reviewed your diagnostic. Please back sure the optical cable is fully pushed in on both sides. Also, please check that the TV settings haven't changed.

The cable is fully pushed in on both sides and the TV settings are set to external speaker as they have been for the last 1.5 years. What is the next thing to troubleshoot?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
apatt, The next step would be to isolate where the breakdown is happening as the PLAYBAR is not registering there is an optical cable plugged into the PLAYBAR. Can you temporarily disconnect the optical cable from the back of your Samsung TV and plug it directly to a source device like your cable box? When you make the connection check again to see if you hear any audio being output from the PLAYBAR. If you are now hearing audio from the PLAYBAR it would indicate that the TV itself is not outputting a signal through its optical port. Please let us know the results of these steps.
Hello

Sorry to bother but I appear to be having a similar issue. Code 7377664

I've unplugged all devices
Restarted tv
Checked sound setting on TV (pcm )
Optic cable is shining on end going into play bar, but not into tv

Can play music to play bar just fine

Thank you so much for your help
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Azzigp,

Thank you for submitting that diagnostic. Can you let us know what media devices you are using (Apple TV, Cable Box, Blu-Ray player, etc.)?

If you have not already done so, please check for firmware updates on your TV as well.
I have same issue: TV LG 49UH7707 (latest software version 04.31.12) connected through original optical cabel to SONOS playbar (latest version 7.2 build 35339010), red light is visible, but there is no sound. Output from TV is set to optical digital sound out with PCM (but I tested all other possibilities like auto). I also tested alternative optical source from CuBox-i with KODI and same behavïour, red light is visible, but there is no sound (I tried many other sound setup). Music playing directly from playbar without any problem, only issue is with optical cabel. Diagnostics 7422198. Thank you for help.
Hello Milos, and welcome.

The diagnostic is reporting that no signal is making it to the PLAYBAR. Would you happen to have another optical cable to test?

Unrelated but still important, there are a few settings on your ASUS router to modify in order for your players to maintain a reliable wifi connection. I'll send you a direct message with the instructions.
Help, im facing the same problem. My diagnostics number is 7440514.
In my case was problem in original optical audio cable. After replacement everything works fine. It is shame that product with this price have problem with cheapest part. Anyway, thank you Nico for your help.
I have replaced the optical cable but to no avail.
Oh, my problem is now solved. It decided to play after i try playing youtube.
Glad to hear it's working for you.
I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.
Diagnostic # 7671146. New LG C7 TV - the sound stops randomly when I watch TV. It has not dropped yet while playing Xbox. Please help, this is ridiculous.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.

Have you resolved this issue? My tv and Sonos system has done the same thing after a Sonos firmware update. I had to change my tv setting to PCM instead of Dolby Digital and I now have sound but unfortunately only in Stereo. I no longer have Dolby Digital 5.1 when I watch tv (Cable, Netflix, Blu-Ray). I hope a fix will be coming out soon because this is annoying...