Question

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

• 19 February 2015
  • 91 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

The same problem just reared its quiet head. I've had the Playbar for months and everything has been fine (well, except for Spotify disappearing fairly often), but tonight there was suddenly no sound on TV playback, from either of two sources (Roku and TiVo). Music plays fine. I power-cycled with no change.

Diagnostic 7028916.

Thanks very much.
Hello same issue here. No TV sound but able to play music. Optical cable functioning tried power cycling to no avail. Diagnostic number 7024772. Thanks!
No TV Sound: diagnosis number 7019974
Same problem TV volume suddenly gone - diagnosis number 7007430
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hey gregc...

This may be a messy place to place your questions (given it is among a few others having potentially different challenges and in a discussion thread that is a year old... not being critical, just hoping to help troubleshoot your issue specifically separate from the rest of the thread...) Having said that, your issue may be quite different from many of the others here in that it seems you have not yet had your system working for any TV audio. I'm no digital audio expert, but I believe you will need to make sure that the audio format your TV is "sending" to the playbar through the Toslink cable is one that is compatible with the playbar, as perhaps a first step in troubleshooting your specific problem... For the standard setup, If you are absolutley certain that you have a 5.1 audio source, your TV should pass Dolby Digital 5.1 to your Playbar over optical when you’re watching something with that format.

This link may be helpful: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/home-theater-and-television-recommendation-megathread-6735001

Best of luck 🙂
Setting up play bar for first time. Music plays fine but no sound from tv. Optical cable attached from tv to play at. Red light can be seen. Powered on and off, no change. Disconnected cable and reconnected, no change. Diagnostic 6951436.
Same problem. I have the player for 5 days now, worked fine. Now for 2 days, when watching tv, the sound suddenly stops. Switching channel makes it come back for about 10 seconds. Then it disappears again.
same problem. sound bar worked fine for a long time. All of the sudden stopped playing anything. unplugged it, checked optical connection and can't get it to work. diagnostic 6949845
Sorry my Diagnostics number is 6926400
Hi, I am all of a sudden havong same issue. My TV is set to PCM and is a samsung, it has an optical with a red light. i tried rebooting, resetting, and different optical cable. when i reset it said getting no audio signal from TV. my ID number is 111091644
Thought I should add Spotify still plays through all of our other speakers in different rooms just not in the room with playbar & 2 play3's.
My play bar plays my tv and radio but when I try to play music library or Spotify no sound comes out. Diagnostic 6916584
Thanks
I am having this same issue. My sound bar plays music and bluray player but not my tv. Diagnostic 6916369
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Correction as I posted wrong diagnostics number: 6823064

Hi Kt327639,

The PLAYBAR shows that it is receiving a stereo signal from the optical cable. It may help to check your TV's audio settings to make sure it's set to output audio through the optical output. What model of TV do you have?
Correction as I posted wrong diagnostics number: 6823064
Correction: 6823064
I am having same problem as original question and power reboot does not help. The optical plug is fine / brand new. I bought the playbar this morning and the TV worked through the bar for a few hours and then stopped. Wireless traffic should not impact the TV sound since hard wired in. Diagnostics 6283036
Sorry I did not make it clearer..My cable TV set top box goes to my blu ray player (HDMI in)...the HDMI out from my blu-ray is connected to the TV..the TV audio is off. Another optical cable connects the bluray player to playbar.

No worries, Sandeep. Generally we expect to see your HDMI devices connected to your TV via separate HDMI ports, and the PLAYBAR connected to the TV via digital optical cable. This being said, the PLAYBAR should still be able to pass any audio signal it receives. If you are seeing "Silence" for the audio source, the PLAYBAR is not detecting a signal from whatever source it's plugged into. This may be due to a bad optical connection, or a problem with the source.

I'd recommend plugging the optical cable into another source (TV, cable/satellite box, Xbox), to see if you can get audio from a source other than your Blu-ray player. This will also confirm that the PLAYBAR and optical cable are receiving signals correctly.
Badge
I also noticed that when I click on 'About my sonos',..the auio in for the playbar shows: Silence.

Sandeep
Badge
Also there is no audio when I play a bluray disc.

Cheers,
Sandeep
Badge
Hi Manny,

Sorry I did not make it clearer..My cable TV set top box goes to my blu ray player (HDMI in)...the HDMI out from my blu-ray is connected to the TV..the TV audio is off. Another optical cable connects the bluray player to playbar.

This system has been working fine for past two years. It just stopped suddenly two nights ago.

Thank you.
Sandeep
@OSUKrazyKate, welcome to our forums and thanks for providing the diagnostic. The report is showing at least 3 of your rooms (2 PLAY:1s, and 1 PLAY:5) as "unnamed", which means they've somehow lost their configuration settings.

Additionally the PLAYBAR is showing only a SUB attached to it, and no rear speakers. You should probably start by reconfiguring these players, or rebonding the PLAY:1s to the PLAYBAR, then testing audio.

@sandeep Thanks for providing the diagnostic code. Your system appears to be communicating correctly, and the PLAYBAR is showing that it's receiving a stereo signal.

The cable goes from my blu ray player to the sound bar.

If this is the case, you will only receive audio from your Blu Ray player. In order for you to receive audio from your TV, the PLAYBAR needs to be wired to it.
Badge
Hi,

My TV sound stopped suddenly. Music plays normally. There is a red light at the end of the optic cable. The cable goes from my blu ray player to the sound bar. Have tried powering down..reinstalled everything..still not sound

My diagnostic code is 6704217

Please help.

Sandeep
My sound at nor any of my speakers will play any sound from the tv or blue ray player. My diagnostics code is 6693856.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My TV stopped playing through my play bar yesterday. I have tried unplugging it and nothing is working . My diagnostic # 6545188 please
Can you please tell me which PLAYBAR you are referencing? Which one is presenting the issue?

I am having the same issue. No sound. Light is visible. Diag code is 6546928. Thank you
Have you checked the connections on the optical lead? Are you able to play anything else through the PLAYBAR?