Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Yes, that would be my recommendation.

But if those two actions didn't resolve the disconnects, then indeed I'm not sure I know what is causing it. Posting that diagnostic is a great step in getting Sonos to look at data in the log files that I don't have access to, and hopefully point them to figuring out what's going on.

I don't think you need to open up a new thread, but maybe if you haven't gotten a response in 48 hours, it might be worth it. On the other hand, it also might be wise to try one of their other forms of communication. Ah, good, you're here in the US. Take a look at http://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact/contact-options%23 , they have 24/7 support options, in addition to these boards, and they might be more synchronous 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes, that would be my recommendation.

Thank you, I will reach out to Sonos. But first I will test with my new settings for a longer period to see how it goes and how often it happens. It's always been intermittent, even before buying a new router or changing any setting, so it takes time to judge if it's any better now.

Typically, it will work great for a few hours, and then it'll behave erratically for an hour. I really want to get to the bottom of this. I have invested a lot in these speakers and right now it leaves me with a feeling of unreliability. Not what I was hoping for.
Understood. Once you've got this taken care of, they'll be rock solid. Mine have been so for 4 or 5 years now, and I'm quite happy.

Be sure to run the diagnostic within 10 minutes of a disconnect, so that the data about it will be in the log files that get submitted to Sonos.

Best of luck!
I was having issues with Sirius and Amazon music cutting out, then the players disappearing. Taking the advice of others in here, over the weekend I did a full reboot of my network and assigned all my Sonos units reserved IPs in a grouped range. I also unhooked my Playbar from ethernet (coming via powerline adapter that was a holdover from before I bought a Boost that is plugged directly into my router) so I only have the Boost wired to the network.

So far, so good. No issues with service cutting out. I've also noticed that the sending audio from my Playbar to other Sonos units is clear without cutouts (something that did happen previously). So I can say that the dedicated IPs is a good idea (not sure if the extra unit connected via ethernet was an issue as well).
Hi. Ive recently started with this similar problem. Ever since i added spotify to my system. I have a bridge, a play 1 and a play 5 gen1. The players keep vanishing from my system. Once i manage to add them, after resetting them, i have to add all my favourites and library back in. Diagnostic 806
Thanks lee
Badge
Intermittently music has been cut off since version 8 of the controller app. Plus I have hot been able to upgrade the speakers to 8.2. The About My Sonos System states:
Controller: Version 8.2
Bridge: Version 8.0
Sonos Speaker: Version 8.1 (All 11 speakers)

Tried resetting the controller and bridge, but music still cuts off at times and can't upgrade the bridge and speakers.
Submitted a diagnostic, confirmation number 8101163.
What happens when you try to update the bridge? Is it connected to your router with an ethernet cable?
Badge
What happens when you try to update the bridge? Is it connected to your router with an ethernet cable?
The bridge is connected via Ethernet to my witeless router, and it will not update. I get the can not update error in the controller then the bridge resets, blinks orange for a few seconds then becomes discoverable again.
Sorry, is there a number associated with that error "can not update"?

If it's connected with an ethernet cable, I may be unable to help you. The only other suggestion I could have would be to try a different cable to the router, and the other port on the back of the bridge. But if it's not that, there's likely a hardware fault that might be seen by Sonos when they look at your diagnostic.

Rather than waiting for a response here, you might want to try one of the other methods of contacting them, as explained at https://www.sonos.com/contact
Hi All,
I have a problem with my setup. I have 2 Play5 and 1 Play3 speakers. Up until recently, everything worked. Now I can't get more than two speakers to work at the same time. I have removed the groups, redid them using different speakers to start with no effect. I have shutdown my entire network system, including shutting routers, APs, computers, etc. Powered everything back up in order - router first and out from that. Connected everything back and I still can't get more than two speakers to work at the same time. Software says they are all working but nothing out of the 3rd speaker. What can I do?
Badge
Was able to fix the upgrade issue by resetting the bridge and reassigning a new IP to the bridge. No drops so far.
Hi Sonos Support,

Running a Play 1, Play 3 and Play 5 connecting to digitally imported premium over tune in. I get frequent cut outs that last anywhere from 1s to a few seconds. Other streaming music to all sonos equipment is ok (via Apple Music for example). It would indicate something with tunein? However I am listening to di.fm direct from their site (as a premium member) as well as adding the station to iTunes and listening through there via my laptop. Never a drop.

Submitted 8120013. Would like some help if you can!

Thanks.
Diagnostic submitted (8121997). Speakers keep dropping. Happens to all speakers at different times. Put Boost on Channel 1 and moved everything else to 6 and higher but still seeing issue. Power cycled all devices, latest version software. Really frustrating.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have been experiencing constant dropouts since the last software update. I do not have wireless issues with any of my other wireless clients - even those streaming UHD and HD video. I also didn’t have any of these problems prior to the aforementioned update.

Really nice timing guys. You’ve definitely left a bad impression with my out-of-town guests this holiday weekend.

Diagnostic number: 8122644
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Still my sonos groups/ungroups or loses/gains speakers almost every minute.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For anyone interested. I started my own thread https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/8-2-drops-room-group-daily-6794659/

It seems that I am talking to myself. My current system is so unstable I cannot play anything for more than a minute. All my play speakers are on fixed IPs btw.
Hi, Having issues with tracks skipping and going in and out. We are using 3 Google Wifi routers and have 4 total Sonos speakers. Please let me know what I might do to fix it. The diagnostic number is 8129370. Thanks!
Hi,

I have a Play:5 and two Play:1 distributed in three different rooms. Sound is periodically cutting out and sometimes the players disappear from my app. Play:5 is connected via Ethernet cable, while the Play:1 rely on WiFi.

I initially thought about wireless covereage and tried use both my home WiFi on different channels and the Sonos WiFi network from the player connected to Ethernet with no appreciable difference.

Moreover, lately even the player connected via ethernet started cutting out and disappearing. Sonetimes this player is not visible in the list, while the other players, which currently rely on the Sonos WiFi broadcasted by this device, are reachable

Diagnostic 8131990 sent.

Thanks
Gianluca
Diagnostic report number 8135208
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
My Diagnostic number 8135374
Using with Spotify app on android
Music was just cutting out then intermittently starting again. However I turned the system off and found my kitchen Sonos was not on my list of Sonos players and I had not deleted it so reset up and so far everything is now working ok. System has been playing up for a few weeks and this is not what I expect of a Sonos system. Very frustrating
Can't tell if my issue is sonos related or Amazon echo randomly ducking my sonos. I have 5 echo s that will duck the sonos when being used, but when I'm listening in bed at night (no one else in the house) my sonos randomly quiets. Diagnostic 8142623
I've noticed a similar issue the last 48 hours. Usually, I've attributed this to the TV triggering one of my Echo devices, but I know for a fact last night the TV wasn't on, I was just listening to music in the kitchen. And it was instrumental, so there was no "voice" that could have said something that remotely sounded like the trigger word. Next time that happens, I'll do a diagnostic as well, but I'm guessing that the data that's necessary may not be in Sonos' files, but in Amazon's, since it's their software that's triggering the ducking feature.

Thanks for the post. I'd brushed it off last night as being a 'weird' thing. But now you've got me thinking 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I've noticed a similar issue the last 48 hours. Usually, I've attributed this to the TV triggering one of my Echo devices, but I know for a fact last night the TV wasn't on, I was just listening to music in the kitchen. And it was instrumental, so there was no "voice" that could have said something that remotely sounded like the trigger word. Next time that happens, I'll do a diagnostic as well, but I'm guessing that the data that's necessary may not be in Sonos' files, but in Amazon's, since it's their software that's triggering the ducking feature.

Thanks for the post. I'd brushed it off last night as being a 'weird' thing. But now you've got me thinking :)

Intrigued to know what "ducking" is? Not having used an Echo or similar, where does the term ducking come into it?

Intrigued to know what "ducking" is? Not having used an Echo or similar, where does the term ducking come into it?

Ducking is the feature that lowers the volume on Sonos speakers when the Alexa wake word is said. It allows the Alexa device to hear clearly. At this time, all Sonos speakers across your system will duck, which is not optimal. It is hoped that new functionality that allows you to assign a default Sonos speaker to an Echo will make only that Sonos duck, and Sonos said they are working on this.