Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

My sonos keeps cutting in and out (moreso in some rooms than others). My diagnostic number is: 7975906 Please help
Badge +1
The audio cutting out is getting worse for me. I swear it didn't start until a recent Sonos update (not the latest one). While watching TV using sonos 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, two play 1s) audio cuts out on the rear surrounds. It then comes back without me doing anything. I thought it was streaming music at first, or maybe an iPhone issue but now I know it's not. I uploaded a diagnostic a while back but never heard back.

My sonos is setup in BOOST configuration (playbar is plugged into ethernet) and all other speakers are using wireless. I'm wondering if I need to change the channel on my Airport extreme or something, but the boost mode mentions specifically how it helps not interfere with other devices.

It's super annoying!

edit: new diagnostic submitted: 7975298

Also, is there anything in the Sonos desktop app or iOS app that can show performance issues?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I experience intermittent problems with playback and I have isolated it to one of my units, my Play 5 (gen 1) purchased Nov 2009 (serial 00-0e-58-50-7c-a4:e for you Sonos people checking the diagnostics).

Checking http://ip-address:1400/status/proc/ath_rincon/phyerr this unit has consistent terrible WiFi-performance and when connected causes playback problems and the controller apps to grind to halt. Moving music between the rooms is also problematic, as is missed alarms in the mornings on other units (supposed to be playing from Spotify but I get the fall-back Sonos chime 4 days out of 5). If I disconnect this unit all is well.

The units are running on a separate 2,4 GHz wifi dedicated for Sonos (since they seem to be confused by dual 2,4 and 5 GHz networks that we use for the rest of the home and office). Network equipment from Ubiquity. All units have DHCP reservations. Unifi Controller reports 10-20% interference on the channel when the Play 5 is connected. Moved the sonos network to different channels but still same problem.

To isolate this I tried putting all 5 units in the same room as one of the APs, separated by at least 1,5 meter and checked the phyerr statistics. All units well below 250 except for this Play 5 unit that was above 2500 most of the time.

Diagnostics 7956766 submitted when they were all in the same room.

Time to retire the Play 5...?
Diagnostic report 7952025

Streamed music intermittently cuts out from Deezer and TuneIn radio. When the music cuts out from TuneIn radio the Android app also loses connectivity with the speakers (2 x Play 1; 1x Play 3). All speakers are on fixed IPs through DHCP reservation at the router and one of the Play 1s is connected to the router (Sonosnet on Channel 11, normal wifi on channel 6). I have no problems when streaming my library music. Whilst this all seems to point to broadband (UK Virgin Media) and wifi issues I've had a very solid system previously, with these problems only seeming to occur since the latest update Any help appreciated.

Thanks
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.

1) He wasn't replying to you, he was replying to someone who posted nothing but a rant; no specifics as to what he was experiencing, no system specifics, no nothing. It was harsh, but appropriate.

2) You can post your reference number here and a Sonos tech will get to it.

3) In the 9+ years I have been posting here, I can count on one hand the number of connection and/or stability problems that were not solved by eliminating IP conflicts via a network refresh, then assigning permanent IP addresses to your Sonos units via the router setup. For the refresh, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.

Assigning permanent IP addresses is a little harder, but you do not need to be a total techie to do it. You need two things, access to your router setup and the MAC address of each Sonos unit. How to access the router setup is in your router manual, and the MAC address of each Sonos is in the app under Settings->About My Sonos System. Each unit will be listed with a serial number, the MAC is the serial number minus the last two characters.
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!

Sigh.

Did you even bother to read anything above your post?

Have a problem. Explain it and your system in maximum detail. Run a diagnostic. Post diagnostic number so it alerts Sonos to your problem.

Unless you think Sonos are able to read your mind and know how your system is set up.

So why not try "how to" rather than pointlessly, and stupidly, do the forum equivalent of shouting at the pigeons in the park (unless, of course, that is your hobby)
Also having an issue with certain streaming services cutting out. So far this has only happened with Amazon Music and Sirius XM. Apple Music, Spotify, Concert Vault, local music, Tune-In are all fine. I have 3 Play 1's, a Playbar, 2 Connects, and a Connect Amp. Also recently added a Boost hoping to take care of the issue. While it seemed like grouping was improved, the issue wasn't solved. Configuration is using the Sonos Mesh network and not my wifi. I've tried different Sonos Net channels along with different wifi channels (operating on a mesh Amplfi HD system). Layout of the house is a 3 story + roofdeck row house. Brick exterior, drywall interior.

When the issue presents itself the music stops and won't start up again for a few minutes. During this time I can't select alternative sources either, and some of my Sonos nodes disappear. Not sure if it is related, but I do sometimes have audio drop outs (though not full cut outs) running audio from my Playbar to a Play 1 installed in my bathroom. Last time it dropped was with Amazon Music and I logged this diagnostic: 7919382. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi I'm having the same issue with my system. Streaming from spotify and the music keeps cutting out, same with the tune in radio and playing music off my phone. I had submitted diagnostics 7933578. I have tried switching router channel and sonos to 1 and 11. Unplugged all the speakers and router and deleted the app, re-installed it and added the speakers back onto the network and the same issue is happening. It's starting to become very frustrating. Yesterday I had limited success with soundcloud playing but again none of the other services. Please can you look into this issue for me.

Many Thanks
gurbar2305

This is a thread about music cutting out. I think you want to be posting your diagnostic in the thread about TV issues, which is here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
When I'm play an app on the TV such as Netflix or youtube, the sound cuts out for a while and then returns. This is happening regularly. I tried resetting the tv, and changed the optical cord but no change.

I have submitted a diagnostics report : 7886076
"Connection to Spotify was lost" This error message comes when i try to play from Spotify and the music stops, but only on my play 5 1. gen. I have a playbase and a play 1. And they can play spotify with out any problems. I can also play Tidal on the play 5 . Can you help ?. I have had this problem for months. Diagnostic 7882443
Hi I have followed instructions and have reset the wireless channel to resolve issues with a paried set of play 5s using line in. This has not worked and have submitted diagnostic 7882152. It was on channel 11. It's now on channel 1. Please let me know what you find.
Thanks
Kyle
I am finding the play 1s are dropping out and just the playbar is working, about 10-15 sec later the play1s kick back in.
I have submitted a diagnostics report 7867441.
After a year of wonderful use I've now spent the last months trying to fix the track skpping problem. Is there anyone out there who can help. I've rebooted everything several times. It happens no matter where I am or who's system I'm connecting to.
Am loosing my cool a little as I've loved the system for so long and now I can't listen to any of my albums or playlists.
I live on a narrow boat and use a 4G dongle which has worked will be over a year.

Play1 dropping audio frequently. Should all be running ethernet but still dropping out. Seems to just be Kitchen Play1 which is odd.
I think your issue and associated diagnostic would be better posted in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
I get no sound from my playbar. My TV is basically mute right now. I get no sound with any channel. Sometime is does work, but when I switch to a different channel the sound goes away. Help!!! My confirmation number is: 7815470
I do also have huge problems with my two Play:1.

Everything has worked great until a couple of days ago. Now they can't play music without huge dropouts, and it is very hard to reach them thru the app.

I have read everything, restartet everything, tried all channels, and I have not done any changes to my wireless setup. I don't have problems with noise in my wireless setup. I have a 150mbit internett connection with a fiber cable into my apartment...

Right now my sonos sytem is total useless! I postet on this forum yesterday, and no respons.

How can I get in contact with Sonos? I don't understand the support service here?

It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem and it seems that it is something "rotten" with a software update. Please fix it. Don't tell me that "your neighbour must have bought a new wireless device that changed everything..." My Play:1 is 2 meters next to the wireless ruter with nothing between them.

System diagnostic number 7808095

Please please advice!
Hi

I have changed my wireless channel on my router to 1, 6 & 11 but still I get my speakers vanishing and music dropping from them. It's driving me crazy and I am ready to give up and sell them if this cannot be fixed. It never used to happen until the last update??

I have submitted a diagnostics report - Number 7809007

I would appreciate it very much if you could look into this and provide a solution please?

Thanks
I have similar issues). Nothing in my home wireless set-up has changed but the App and my macbook lags heavily at times and speakers are cutting out intermittently - every 5-10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds. Sonos boxes will disappear form my phone and macbook as well. This happened all after installing the latest version of Sonos. I have 2 play 1, and 2 play 5 boxes. At the moment I only see and hear 1 box, and cannot add other boxes. Very frustrating.

Would appreciate any support to solve this issue, my diagnostic report number 7794697. Thank you in advance
As a guess, you may have been exposed to duplicate IP addresses when updating to 7.4, which forces the speakers to do a soft reboot.

I'd recommend that you unplug your speakers, then reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes for the router to finish rebooting, then go to the closest Sonos speaker and plug it in. Again, wait a couple of minutes for it to finish booting up, then move on to the next speaker.

If that fails, it's possible that a neighbor has installed something new that's causing interference in your existing wifi, so going through the FAQ on that might be helpful as well.
Suffering similar issues but only recently in the past 1/2 weeks, system has been stable prior to this (Play1 and Play3, separate downstairs rooms). Nothing in my home wireless set-up has changed but the App lags heavily at times and speakers are cutting out intermittently - every 5-10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds. Would appreciate any advise please?

Any known issues with latest software update?

Diagnostics 7791984.

Many thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thanks for the response. This was very helpful.
The boost is on top of a cabinet that is about 3 foot high.
I have an Xclaim AP that is about 2 feet from the boost.
I also have a cordless phone near there but it is not one that works on 2.4Ghz.

I will move it to a new location tonight is it OK to be near other Sonos Players? do they cause any interference?
Does the bosst create a true mesh network where the boost only needs to be near one player that can complete the connections to the other players as long as they are relatively near to one another?

Thank yo so much for your response.

As a general best practice we advise to make sure the BOOST or any other Sonos player have about two to three feet of space when near another device broadcasting a wireless signal. Moving the BOOST next to another player shouldn't be an issue, but I would still advise having a bit of space between them. Since moving the BOOST have you noticed an improvement?

Yes, the BOOST and any other Sonos player that is wired to the network will create a true wireless mesh network (BOOST Setup) for all other Sonos players to communicate over.
Thanks for the response. This was very helpful.
The boost is on top of a cabinet that is about 3 foot high.
I have an Xclaim AP that is about 2 feet from the boost.
I also have a cordless phone near there but it is not one that works on 2.4Ghz.

I will move it to a new location tonight is it OK to be near other Sonos Players? do they cause any interference?
Does the bosst create a true mesh network where the boost only needs to be near one player that can complete the connections to the other players as long as they are relatively near to one another?

Thank yo so much for your response.