Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Hi All,
I have a problem with my setup. I have 2 Play5 and 1 Play3 speakers. Up until recently, everything worked. Now I can't get more than two speakers to work at the same time. I have removed the groups, redid them using different speakers to start with no effect. I have shutdown my entire network system, including shutting routers, APs, computers, etc. Powered everything back up in order - router first and out from that. Connected everything back and I still can't get more than two speakers to work at the same time. Software says they are all working but nothing out of the 3rd speaker. What can I do?
Sorry, is there a number associated with that error "can not update"?

If it's connected with an ethernet cable, I may be unable to help you. The only other suggestion I could have would be to try a different cable to the router, and the other port on the back of the bridge. But if it's not that, there's likely a hardware fault that might be seen by Sonos when they look at your diagnostic.

Rather than waiting for a response here, you might want to try one of the other methods of contacting them, as explained at https://www.sonos.com/contact
Badge
What happens when you try to update the bridge? Is it connected to your router with an ethernet cable?
The bridge is connected via Ethernet to my witeless router, and it will not update. I get the can not update error in the controller then the bridge resets, blinks orange for a few seconds then becomes discoverable again.
What happens when you try to update the bridge? Is it connected to your router with an ethernet cable?
Badge
Intermittently music has been cut off since version 8 of the controller app. Plus I have hot been able to upgrade the speakers to 8.2. The About My Sonos System states:
Controller: Version 8.2
Bridge: Version 8.0
Sonos Speaker: Version 8.1 (All 11 speakers)

Tried resetting the controller and bridge, but music still cuts off at times and can't upgrade the bridge and speakers.
Submitted a diagnostic, confirmation number 8101163.
Hi. Ive recently started with this similar problem. Ever since i added spotify to my system. I have a bridge, a play 1 and a play 5 gen1. The players keep vanishing from my system. Once i manage to add them, after resetting them, i have to add all my favourites and library back in. Diagnostic 806
Thanks lee
I was having issues with Sirius and Amazon music cutting out, then the players disappearing. Taking the advice of others in here, over the weekend I did a full reboot of my network and assigned all my Sonos units reserved IPs in a grouped range. I also unhooked my Playbar from ethernet (coming via powerline adapter that was a holdover from before I bought a Boost that is plugged directly into my router) so I only have the Boost wired to the network.

So far, so good. No issues with service cutting out. I've also noticed that the sending audio from my Playbar to other Sonos units is clear without cutouts (something that did happen previously). So I can say that the dedicated IPs is a good idea (not sure if the extra unit connected via ethernet was an issue as well).
Understood. Once you've got this taken care of, they'll be rock solid. Mine have been so for 4 or 5 years now, and I'm quite happy.

Be sure to run the diagnostic within 10 minutes of a disconnect, so that the data about it will be in the log files that get submitted to Sonos.

Best of luck!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes, that would be my recommendation.

Thank you, I will reach out to Sonos. But first I will test with my new settings for a longer period to see how it goes and how often it happens. It's always been intermittent, even before buying a new router or changing any setting, so it takes time to judge if it's any better now.

Typically, it will work great for a few hours, and then it'll behave erratically for an hour. I really want to get to the bottom of this. I have invested a lot in these speakers and right now it leaves me with a feeling of unreliability. Not what I was hoping for.
Yes, that would be my recommendation.

But if those two actions didn't resolve the disconnects, then indeed I'm not sure I know what is causing it. Posting that diagnostic is a great step in getting Sonos to look at data in the log files that I don't have access to, and hopefully point them to figuring out what's going on.

I don't think you need to open up a new thread, but maybe if you haven't gotten a response in 48 hours, it might be worth it. On the other hand, it also might be wise to try one of their other forms of communication. Ah, good, you're here in the US. Take a look at http://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact/contact-options%23 , they have 24/7 support options, in addition to these boards, and they might be more synchronous 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It will work if you have a complex network, as well. Or, if you prefer, you could set up reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices.

What's the recommended setup exactly? Group all Sonos in a dedicated IP range pretty far from all other devices on the same LAN? I've already worked on separating the Wifi Channels as far as possible, now looking into assigning IPs correctly.

So far, even with the two settings above, I have disconnections mid-song even playing songs in local, the playbar is wired to the router, which is wired to a NAS where the songs are stored, the rest is wifi.

At times, when I play in all rooms, the app becomes erratic and I end up having error messages on the app.

(Diagnostic 8047561) - Should I open a dedicated thread?
It will work if you have a complex network, as well. Or, if you prefer, you could set up reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices.

The simple fact is, 99% of the time, the issue is resolved by taking that action. It's entirely possible that yours doesn't, so on Monday when the forum staff is back in the office, they will hopefully take a look. Or, you could avail yourself of the 24/7 option of contacting Sonos, which is on the www.sonos.com/contact page.
That may work if you have a simple network. I have 33 wireless devices on my WLAN. And those devices aren’t having issues. So can someone please look at the diagnostic and let me know what’s going on.
I'd encourage both of you to read, and follow, jgatie's post above.
Hi!
Still no reply on my problem and diagnostic. And my connect is still disconnecting.
Hi, my sonos system has become extremely unstable since the latest update. Please see review 8042496 and let me know what's going on.

Thanks!
Badge +1
Thanks Jgatie... instructions followed and all seems good so far. Let's hope it stays that way.:8
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge +1
Similar issue to above, but maybe not exactly the same? I should also say it only seems to be occurring since we moved home (i.e. changed location, router and performed a recent software update) - TV sound plays via the fibre link into the Playbar, without any interruption. Other play devices (Play1s and Play3) grouped to this same feed all suffer frequent brief interruptions (Diagnostic 8038874)
I am recently having the same issue. Diagnostics report: 8008611
Hello!

I am a brand new Sonos customer with 1 Play5 and 2 Play1. Thanks for the Amazon discount :)

My apartment has a "L" shape with a staircase in the middle, which was already challenging for the Wifi (since my router is at the very end of the little side) - I now use a Amplifi wifi router (mesh with 2 repeaters).

Unfortunately I experience music cut-outs with Sonos (diagnostics 7999017) in Standard Mode; not always, but frequently (daily). I know that the Standard mode is not officially supported with repeaters, but I've tried the Boost Mode (one Play1 connected with Ethernet) and it's worse - it seems that that Play1 cannot even reach the 2 other speakers at the other end of the apartment.

I wonder about my options. Should I trust that buying a Sonos Boost would be enough to allow the Boost Mode to work?
Should I buy an additional Play1 instead (nice to create a stereo pair in the bedroom), would adding a new speaker/repeater be enough to have a strong Boost Sonos mesh network?

thanks for advice
Hi!
Have problem with my Sonos connect that is disconnecting after som minutes of playing, after it has disconnect it flashes White and it looks like it reboots and gets back but im not sure about the reboot part. My diagnistic number is 7989841
Badge +1
I keep posting here because I can tell you that this problem can be solved, on my basic IT troubleshooting skillset. If something works the majority of the time, then it must be fixable. It works fine most of the time, then out of nowhere the rears and the sub (not positive but pretty sure only the Playbar is left working) cut out. I don't believe it's anything to do with streaming music or what the source is, as I've noticed it while watching Fios, while watching an UHD Blu Ray, while streaming music from Sirirus, while streaming music from my wife's phone. And I swear it was not a problem until a recent update. I really hope someone is looking at the diagnostic and trying to figure it out. When I first got my Sonos, support was quick to respond here. I'm guessing theres been layoffs at Sonos, hence no more replies. Maybe I'm wrong and they are about to release some fix? BOOST configuration makes me think its nothing to do with wireless interference but I'm willing to try anything.
Userlevel 1
Same as the others. This system is CRAP! I continue to buy pieces and follow your useless suggestions, and my system gets WORSE. It used to be easy to get to a helpful person, now it's almost impossible. The 1st line people are rude and uninformed. I can google a topic faster than they can. When I need help, you're closed. My wifi is GREAT. I don't have a single problem with any wired or wifi device in my home, and I'm a heavy user. Yet, sonos can't play 5 seconds of a song without cutting out. It's embarrassing, Now you are forcing these updates on us more and more often with stupid, useless features when you should be fixing what's broken. And, take away the stupid messages that pop up every time you add a song to your queue for example...we added it...we know...we don't need a message to pop up every time and tell us what we just did. And, it's the same thing with clearing a song or queue. Its not an atomic missile launch code, it's a SONG. Quit changing mobile app devices around AND STABILIZE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!
Badge
I've tried just about every recommendation listed in this forum with no luck. Music on iPhone skips about every 4 to 5 mins. No issues when streaming SiriusXM, just content on my phone. My diagnostic confirmation number is 7979777.

Thanks-JLH