Here we go again...

• 19 December 2021
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes repeat for other two speakers. You can't use the Bridge on S2 and they are old.tech.

Wiring any Sonos device to the network triggers Sonos devices to communicate over their own mesh. Originally that was the only way Sonos could work. Now it is one option with purely WiFi being the other. The Bridge was used where no speaker was close enough to the router to cable.

I see so the speaker that is wired to my router now, must remain wired to it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

OK I repeated this for the next PLAY3, that went OK and the device is listed in the iPhone app.

When I select the device it reports a message “Not registered” I have no idea what that means.

OK I’ll reply to my own message - it means the setup was not quite complete that’s all, its updating the unit now...

I would stick with SonosNet if one of your speakers is close enough to router to keep wired.

If not then you would need to buy a Boost, which replaced the Bridge, or you could try fully WiFi.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

OK the third of the four PLAY3s is now done too, but during the setup it mentioned something about “adding the PLAY3 to your account” and I have no idea what “account” means.

It seems to also imply I have a subscription to “Sonos Radio HD” whatever that means (yes this is something to do with “the account”).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Of course I’ll need to setup the ROAM again I guess, I suppose I should just dig out the original setup guide for that.

Because you factory reset the devices your system treats them as new devices and registers them to your existing Sonos account.

I believe Sonos Radio HD is a paid subscription service but none of this resetting could have triggered that.

Of course I’ll need to setup the ROAM again I guess, I suppose I should just dig out the original setup guide for that.

I would try just powering off and on first. Btw the Roam can connect only to WiFi not SonosNet but that doesn't stop other devices connecting via SonosNet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

What I loathe about the roam is the audio cue when I switch it off, but silence when I switch it on, this is the kind of detail that is just hard to understand how nobody cared to do that.

Anyway I’m having trouble with this part, the app can’t detect it (or it doesn’t seem to even after several minutes) and I wonder if the ROAM is somehow connecting to a different WiFi network (rather than the apparently transient one created by the PLAY3 setup).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The ROAM is not acting as expected.

Here’s the instructions, (red is what I think is missing and should be included):

1. Press and hold the power button on the back of your Roam for 5 seconds to power it off. You will hear an initial chime and after the five seconds another, different chime, the status LED on the front near the top, will turn off.
  2. While holding the Play/Pause button, press and release the power button on the back of your Roam, the LED will initially be a slowly flashing white.
  3. Continue holding the Play/Pause button until the light on the front flashes orange and white, this usually takes between X and Y seconds.
  4. The light will eventually flash green when the process is complete (this usually takes between J and K seconds) and your Sonos Roam is ready to be set up.

Mine doesn’t ever flash orange/white even after holding for like a minute, it just stays white…

My mistake - the need to hold the power switch for five seconds when switching it off was overlooked, I heard the chime and had no idea there was a second chime to wait for.

That’s not how you factory reset the Roam… try this:

1. Power off the Roam (5+ second press) on rear power button until you hear the 4 descending shutdown tones.
  2. Wait 10 seconds
  3. Hold down Play/Pause - and power on with rear power button - keep Play/Pause button pressed until you see LED flash Amber. Then let go the button.
  4. Status LED will switch to flashing Green, at which point open the S2 Sonos App and setup the device on your existing system.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

That’s not how you factory rest the Roam… try this:

1. Power off the Roam (5+ second press) on rear power button until you hear the 4 descending shutdown tones.
  2. Wait 10 seconds
  3. Hold down Play/Pause and power on with power button - keep Play/Pause pressed until you see it flash Amber. Then let go the button.
  4. Status LED will switch to flashing Green, at which point open the S2 Sonos App and setup the device on your existing system.

Well I got all this now but it just won’t play ball, after setting it up the app says something like  “it might not appear in the system” tab so hold the power switch for 5 seconds and then switch the unit back on then “in the app, continue with the rest of the setup” but the app sees nothing.

In the app searching for “nearby products” again just seems to hang endlessly.

During setup I could see it was connecting the ROAM to one of the WiFi channels generated by my repeater, not the network the PLAY3 are connected to.

Maybe switch off the repeater temporarily and see if it switches/appears in your App (fully close and reopen the App).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The physical setup here is as follows:

Main house

WiFi router wired to incoming internet, WiFi network named “HOUSE”

PLAY3 connected to router

Three other PLAY3 units setup earlier.

One is the main house, two in the Casita

Casita

A WiFi extender wirelessly connected to “HOUSE” and generating two networks “HOUSE_2G” and “HOUSE_5G”

Two PLAY3 units, setup without issues earlier, setup in the Casita 

ROAM setup a few minutes ago - message in app said it was being connected to “HOUSE_2G”

The phone itself, while in Casita, was auto connected to “HOUSE_2G” (the strongest signal when in Casita).

The credentials are identical for all three wifi networks.

The ‘wifi repeater’ should ideally have the same SSID/Password/WiFi Channel and channel-width (20MHz preferably for 2.4Ghz band) as your main router.

If you have different SSID’s for your WiFi network, at the very least you will need to add those to your Sonos App network settings (see screenshot example), but I think you’re much better off ‘mirroring’ the WiFi of your router (same SSID’s etc.) on your repeater.

A WiFi extender wirelessly connected to “HOUSE” and generating two networks “HOUSE_2G” and “HOUSE_5G”

ROAM setup a few minutes ago - message in app said it was being connected to “HOUSE_2G”

The phone itself, while in Casita, was auto connected to “HOUSE_2G” (the strongest signal when in Casita).

So just to clarify, is your router WiFi called HOUSE_2G (2.4Ghz band) and HOUSE_5G (5Ghz band) and is this the same as your repeater SSID’s? (They should be the same). .. if you add devices to your 2.4Ghz band, I would also the 5Ghz SSID to your Sonos App network settings too and ensure each separate band on your router and repeater are on the same channels, so as an example you might have…

HOUSE_2G SSID on both router and repeater set on channel 11 (20MHz channel width)
HOUSE_5G SSID on both router and repeater set on channel 48 (20/40/80MHz channel width)

and both SSID’s listed in your Sonos App network settings. 

In the above example, don’t forget when using SonosNet for your non-portable Sonos devices, to set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App, so it’s at least 5 channels away from your chosen 2.4Ghz WiFi channel... so in this (example) case you would set SonosNet to channel 1 or 6 …and not 11.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So just to clarify, is your router WiFi called HOUSE_2G (2.4Ghz band) and HOUSE_5G (5Ghz band) and is this the same as your repeater SSID’s? (They should be the same). .. if you add devices to your 2.4Ghz band, I would also the 5Ghz SSID to your Sonos App network settings too and ensure each separate band on your router and repeater are on the same channels, so as an example you might have…

HOUSE_2G SSID on both router and repeater set on channel 11 (20MHz channel width)
HOUSE_5G SSID on both router and repeater set on channel 48 (20/40/80MHz channel width)

and both SSID’s listed in your Sonos App network settings. 

Hi Ken,

The main router - wired to the external internet is named HOUSE (not really it’s name but you get the idea). The extender - situated in our casita - exposes two networks HOUSE_2GEXT and HOUSE_5GEXT

Naturally these two networks provide a stronger signal to devices situated inside the casita like my desktop PC and a TV etc as well as portable devices people bring into the casita.

As for the specific RF channels used, I’ve simply never looked at these and have no idea what they are set to, I haven’t even “logged in” to either the router or extender for years!

Also bear in mind the ROAM was working fine most of the time until yesterday’s running around, the only difference now is that the BRIDGE has gone and one of the PLAY3 units is wired to the router (HOUSE).

I wasn’t aware about any sensitivity regarding specific RF channels, is there a doc somewhere?

Thx

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The sonos app on the iPhone, under “Network” says:

Manage Networks   >

SonosNet Channel  >

Channel 1

Clicking the “Manage” arrow, lists the single name:

HOUSE_2GEXT

there’s an Update Networks option too, it displays:

“Do you want to add a trusted network to Sonos or make a change to an existing network?”

I really have no idea where this leads or whether any of this plays a part with the ROAM misbehaving.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I can’t find a manual, detailed documentation on the S2 app, anywhere, even this just talks about what the app is used for but not the meaning of numerous features and options.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This is a huge problem IMHO, with modern computer centric products. The user is often compelled to resort to experimentation, trial and error using a mix of judgement and experience to resolve issues.

Familiar questions like “did you try resetting” or “did you pull the power cord” or “have you tried resetting your router” and so on.

These really indicate to me that the company - Sonos - does not have a firm grip on the technology, not sufficient anyway to make customers lives much easier.

I’m a competent software engineer, decades of experience and a former hardware engineer with significant experience of radio, audio, radio, digital and analog electronics and even I get frustrated like hello with all this.

It seems Sonos just don’t care, it’s not important and can I blame them? most computer based products today are like this, designed to work easily for the simplest configurations but simply not caring when things are out of the ordinary.

The crazy thing is that if Sonos did invest more effort in these areas they’d start to reap benefits like:

1. Customer support calls would be both fewer in number and less difficult to resolve.
  2. Their own staff would benefit in their ability to test these products as they enhance them.

For example a “debug sonos” app or mode might be hugely helpful in that it could gather lots of data about the user’s network(s) channels, attached devices etc etc etc and make it much easier to identify conflicts or poorly set configuration.

If my ROAM doesn’t appear in my S2 app then why not leverage the fact that the app was able to communicate with the ROAM because I was able to go through the ROAM setup? Why can’t the app connect to the ROAM over bluetooth and interrogate it as a an aid to understanding the problem?

There is no way at all that I can “see” inside the ROAM to see what it is doing or anything.

Perhaps its time to run the old Intel UPnP power tools...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The ROAM certainly is not accessible or not responding to UPnP probe messages:

Every UPnP device on the network should have responded to the UDP probe requests that thos tool just sent...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I reran the ROAM setup from the iPhone app and during that I used the spy tool to rescan the network. At no point did the ROAM appear on the network, not even after the iPhone said that device had been connected to HOUSE_2GEXT.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

OK here’s some details:

This is the wifi settings for the main house router, I don’t care that you can see the SSID name, I’m past caring!

Here are the settings for the extender a Netgear WN2500RP:

These are the settings that have been in place for several years.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The SonosNet channel in the iPhone S2 app is set to 1 and I think it has been throughout this excercise.