Having trouble setting up Sonos system over mesh router

I had a Sonos arc connected to my wifi before. I am trying to add a sub and 2 more Sonos amps to power the in ceiling Sonos speakers. When I add the new devices, they go through the set up process, but right before being added to the wifi network, they throw an error something like, “The device was added to network. But it may not show up in system. Try add product to continue”. But I wont be able to add them. After trying factory reset around 50 times, I was able to add 1 more amp into the system. But no luck with sub and the other amp. 

I have a Google Nest Mesh router which is connected to Verizon Fios Router(which is in Bridge mode).

When I looked up the devices connected to routers. The devices show up in the sonos amp have an ip in the format 192.168.1.**. But the devices that dont show up in the Sonos amp are only found in Google Home router page with ip address in the format of 192.168.86.**.

I spent over 2 hours with customer care already. They did nothing but factory reset factory reset and rebooting. I sent the diagnostics messages to them. But they couldnt share that with me. So I am not sure what is the error log in the final step. 

Can someone help me to resolve this and make all my devices to connect to same network and show up in my Sonos app under system.

10 replies

Badge +20

The Fios router - double check to make sure DHCP is disabled

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I had nothing but problems with Google Wi-Fi and Sonos - sorry to be the bearer of bad news!  The issue I had was around the constant channel switching.

The fact that you have two different IP ranges implies that you have two devices that are allocating IP Addresses across Wi-Fi connections.  Have you turned Wi-Fi ‘Off’ on your Fios Router?  You will need to leave DHCP ‘Enabled’ on the Fios Router, otherwise the Google Wi-Fi won’t be allocated an IP Address.  However with Wi-Fi turned ‘Off’ on the Fios Router, only devices physically wired into that device (Your Google Wi-Fi) will be allocated an IP Address from that device’s DHCP range.  All other network devices will be allocated an IP Address by the Google Wi-Fi.  Please see below my set-up when I was using Google Wi-Fi (Your Fios Router would replace my 4G Router):

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, are you able to connect a Sonos device via an Ethernet cable to your Base Google Wi-Fi hub?  If yes, then please remove the Wi-Fi credentials from the Sonos App and reset the Wi-Fi adapter.  After about 3-5 mins your Sonos devices should connect via SonosNet (Sonos’s own mesh network)  This is the connection set-up in the bottom left hand corner of the diagram. The Sonos Connect can be replaced by any of your Sonos devices.

I havent disabled DHCP yet. But have disabled SSID broadcasting and turned off WIFI from Verizon. Because I still connect to that router via Ethernet wires which are hardwired to couple of my rooms. I was not sure if I disable will it still work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I havent disabled DHCP yet. But have disabled SSID broadcasting and turned off WIFI from Verizon. Because I still connect to that router via Ethernet wires which are hardwired to couple of my rooms. I was not sure if I disable will it still work?

If you disable DHCP, your Google Wi-Fi won’t work….

Badge +20

Sorry… DHCP needs to be off on the Google mesh as UKMedia says, then all your devices need to be rebooted / request a new IP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, you can’t connect any other device to your Fios Router other than your Google Wi-Fi, as per my diagram.  You will need a unmanaged network switch connected to your Google Wi-Fi, for your other ethernet connected devices to connect into - again, as per my diagram.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry… DHCP needs to be off on the Google mesh as UKMedia says, then all your devices need to be rebooted / request a new IP.

Sorry but this is wrong. DHCP needs to be ‘On’ on both the Fios Router and the Google Wi-Fi, as per my diagram.

Badge +20

Sorry but this is wrong. DHCP needs to be ‘On’ on both the Fios Router and the Google Wi-Fi, as per my diagram.

Yeah… but he is using the ports on the Fios hence the Google mesh need DHCP off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My setup was as per the diagram and it all worked, apart from the channel changing issues…

Edit:

I should have explained that the reason for leaving both DHCP's Enabled was so that I could use the Google Wi-Fi App for configuring the Network.

In UKMedia’s setup the SONOS system will not be aware of the Google Wi-Fi’s credentials.