Connect Amp won't update and now won't (ironically) connect.

Userlevel 1

Hi. My Sonos system consists of a Connect Amp wired up to non-Sonos speakers and a Play 1. Both have been working fine on the S2 app until a few weeks ago the app informed me that the Amp required a software update. The update didn’t work and I got a 1013 message. Since then I’ve tried all the different things suggested re. the 1013 message and spent an hour on the phone with Sonos trying to resolve it.

I realise one possibility is that my Connect Amp is no longer supported by Sonos. However I don’t know this for sure - I’m not sure which “Gen” my Amp is. One of the things I tried, though, was to downgrade the Amp from S2 to S1. However when I did so the S1 app didn’t appear to be able to connect the Amp.

I have now tried again with the S2 app. The system appears to recognise the Connect Amp. However now on my system the Connect is showing as “Not connected” but every time I try to resolve this all my app says is “All products seem available”. The Connect Amp is no longer showing as registered on my full Sonos Account page.

I should point out that my Play 1 is absolutely fine.

Can anyone help. This is enormously frustrating!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

If your CONNECT:AMP was once operational on S2, it is still supported. As a test, have you attempted to deal with the unit while it is wired to the network?

We cannot rule out hardware issues.

Did support offer any insight?

The CONNECT:AMP disappearing from your registration list is not normal. The more typical complaint is the opposite. Users who have discontinued use of or sold their unit complain that the unit does not disappear from the list.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your response.

When you say “while it is wired to the network”? Do you mean have I connected the router to the Connect Amp by a physical cable? If so, yes, I did so, when I was simply trying to update the software for the Amp, but I haven’t tried that in order to to re-connect the Amp.

Regarding the call with Sonos Support - this was at the stage that I was still simply trying to get the software update for the Connect Amp working. We spent our time going through the reset process and checking to see if a firewall was the problem. Towards the end of the call the person I spoke to suggested that it might be because the Amp was no longer supported for software updates, at which point we talked about potentially downgrading to the S1 app. I had to end the call however and then tried out the downgrade process after that by myself.

Regarding the registration list, I’m not sure at what point it has disappeared. Over the last few weeks I have tried to reset the Amp and re-connect it to the system so many times that I’ve lost track.

Perhaps I should try phoning Support again.

@Steven Tallach,

I personally suspect the Support Staff was probably not inferring the Connect:Amp (gen2) was no longer supported for software updates, as nothing has changed as far as that’s concerned if the Amp was previously operating on an S2 system, but it’s possible the mobile (controller) device is no longer supported for Sonos system administration if it’s OS does not meet the latest Sonos App requirements - see this link to ensure your mobile is still compatible for Sonos device installation & administration…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken. Thanks for your response. I may have misunderstood what the person from Sonos Support was telling me, but we did talk about downgrading to S1.

The device I usually use as controller is on Android 11. The page you linked to indicated that S2 works on Android 8 and higher, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, the controlling device seems to work with my Play 1 fine.

Just to add that if a device is both S1 and S2 compatible which a Gen 2 Connect is, you still cannot create a new Sonos S1 Household/System with such a device… it can only be added to an existing S1 system. To create a new S1 system you would need an S1 only device, like a Play:5 Gen 1 speaker, or a Gen 1 Connect.

So if you do not have an existing S1 system and it’s a Gen 2 Connect it will not be able to create a new S1 system. I would just leave it on S2 if it’s a Gen 2 product. There’s no way it’s suddenly become incompatible with S2 as that’s not been announced anywhere in this community.

edit: It could of course just be a case of faulty hardware, particularly if it’s status LED does not flash green, post factory-reset.

Userlevel 1

OK, so here’s something interesting. I tried to connect my Connect Amp back into the system after a factory reset. I managed to connect it but it still won’t take the update. However I also had re-downloaded the Sonos Controller on my PC laptop a few days ago. Tonight the PC Controller told me that it needed an update, but it has been having similar problems updating. I’ve been getting similar error messages every time I try - 1013 or 1101.

I assume this suggests some firewall problem - but as far as I can see the firewall should be allowing updates through. I suppose this leads me to think that there might be something going on with the router or IP ports, but I don’t really know what I’m doing with this aspect of things and I’m reluctant to start mucking around with it in case I screw up the wifi for the whole house.

Can you update the PC controller if you power down CONNECT:AMP?

Userlevel 1

Hi

Thanks for your reply Buzz , and sorry to take so long to respond. I’ve just tried to update the PC controller with the Connect: Amp powered down but the Play 1 speaker on.

The PC controller still won’t update. I get an error message “Error code 1002: Living Room” (the Connect Amp is the “Living Room” device.

Do you have any ideas about what this indicates?

This is likely some sort of network stumble. Make sure that your PC network Profile Type is set to “Private”. 

Let’s close the PC controller, keep CONNECT:AMP powered down, restart the PC controller, and wire both the PC and the PLAY:1 to the network.

I have been having the same issue with my CONNECT:AMP where the S2 app asks me to update and keeps failing the update with error code 1013. I have called Sonos maybe 3 times and spoken with them a total of 4-5 hours. I think I am going to give up since I’ve been given several different reasons why it won’t work. I’ve done all the re-booting, connecting to ethernet, downgrading S1 (wouldn’t work), and I’ve checked with Comcast Business re: my router firewall and they said there are no issues there. Sonos kept telling me to download the XFi app which does not even exist in the app store. The last solve is to call Technicolor (the manufacturer of my router) to tell them allow me to download the XFi app. Does this even make any sense? I feel like this is a Sonos issue.

Here are some firewall settings to check.

Userlevel 1

Hi Buzz

This is likely some sort of network stumble. Make sure that your PC network Profile Type is set to “Private”. 

Let’s close the PC controller, keep CONNECT:AMP powered down, restart the PC controller, and wire both the PC and the PLAY:1 to the network.

Thanks again for responding. My PC network profile is certainly set to “Private”.

I opened up the PC controller just now (with the Connect Amp still powered down - I unplugged it the other night and had left it unplugged) to follow the rest of your suggestion. There was no message about having to update software, so I checked under “Check for software updates” - it now says “No update  required. Your Sonos system is up to date”!

I’ve also had a look at the firewall settings. As far as I can make out the Sonos app is set to “allowed” through the firewall.

However when it comes to the stuff about firewall ports I’m not really sure what I am looking for. E.g. how does the IP address listed against the Connect Amp relate to the TCP or UDP port numbers listed on the Sonos page you linked to, buzz? I assume I want to make sure that TCP port 4444 (which is listed as the port that Sonos uses for software updates) is open to the relevant IP address. But how do I know whether it is? I have googled some results on this (e.g. https://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-a-Port-Is-Opened) but I still don’t really understand.

Userlevel 1

I have been having the same issue with my CONNECT:AMP where the S2 app asks me to update and keeps failing the update with error code 1013. I have called Sonos maybe 3 times and spoken with them a total of 4-5 hours. I think I am going to give up since I’ve been given several different reasons why it won’t work. I’ve done all the re-booting, connecting to ethernet, downgrading S1 (wouldn’t work), and I’ve checked with Comcast Business re: my router firewall and they said there are no issues there. Sonos kept telling me to download the XFi app which does not even exist in the app store. The last solve is to call Technicolor (the manufacturer of my router) to tell them allow me to download the XFi app. Does this even make any sense? I feel like this is a Sonos issue.

Hi vcdub - as you’ll have seen all I can say is I feel your pain, even though I’ve only spent an hour talking to support staff about this! It’s (sort of) good to know that someone else is having the same issue however. Maybe the knowledgeable people on this forum can help us come to a solution.

Habe das gleiche Problem , kann nicht sein das Sonos keine Lösung hat 

is there no solution yet?

Userlevel 1

No - no solution yet. I’m wondering whether if I take it to my friends’ house I might be able to update it on their network and then bring it back to my own house and see if I can then re-connect it. If that doesn’t work I’m going to have to give Sonos another call!