Answered

Connect:Amp very quiet

• 27 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So I’ve had a Gen 1 Connect:Amp from new for years, but I’ve never connected any speakers (because reasons). Just got a new house with speakers in the ceiling, so wired them up to the amp.

And nothing, really. At max volume I can just about hear the speakers.

I don’t have a ladder yet so haven’t checked out the speakers themselves (impedance, make etc) , but I’m assuming this isn’t normal?

There doesn’t seem to be any hard-wired volume control that might affect it.

icon

Best answer by controlav 27 November 2022, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Lol. Like the rest of us have never made an error ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

SOLVED! How embarrassing. It was a Connect, not a Connect:AMP. That would explain why it was so damn quiet. Off to eBay to get an actual AMP now :-)

Sorry to waste your cycles @buzz and @Airgetlam 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I assume that you are testing with an input other than Line-In and I suspect that you haven’t yet located the Volume control or other device inserted into the speaker wiring.

I am testing with Apple music and other services, not line-in.

A hidden hardware inline volume control does seem the most likely culprit, I need to ask friends if they have any speakers I can test with to verify the Amp is ok. It has been “used” with no speakers connected for a decade or so, I guess I could have fried something.

I assume that you are testing with an input other than Line-In and I suspect that you haven’t yet located the Volume control or other device inserted into the speaker wiring.

I wouldn’t think so. I know this is kind of a stupid question to ask you, but have you submitted the diagnostic and called in? My assumption is some failed electronics in it, likely due to age. Although if you did grab the ladder, you might see if a power cycle, or reset ‘fixed’ the issue. Nothing like the old control-alt-delete test….