Answered

4yr old Connect amp failing?

• 12 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, I have a connect:amp, and a bunch of ones and play3s.  The amp is 4 years old, and recently started losing connection. I've followed the instructions and it reconnects.  My google wifi shows 'great connection' to the amp.  Is the amp starting to fail, or is this a software issue? is there anything I can check?  the play3s are on the same access point, but a little closer (none are more than ~30 feet), and haven't had the problem. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 March 2023, 19:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge

That’s what it needed. Works fine again. Appreciate the help.

Mother Nature is never fair and units can fail at any time, however, there are legions of much older units still in service.

Wireless mesh systems are not always kind to SONOS units. If the mesh system suddenly changes wireless channel, the CONNECT:AMP will react poorly. If I was playing the percentages in your system, I’d first look at network issues. Follow Airgetlam’s suggestion with the Diagnostics.

Badge

I’m having the same issue as billq. Just started. Only affects the connect amp speakers, not any of the Play 1’s on my system. I’ve restarted my router but that didn’t help so I’ll go the “unplug” everything route this time and see if that helps. My question: do I unplug the connect amp as well as all the Play 1’s?

Thanks...John

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For this to work properly unplug ALL Sonos devices.

Badge

Perfect, Thank you.

Unlikely to be a software issue, but you haven’t mentioned the possibility of a network issue, beyond stating that the network claims ‘great connection’. This indicates a measure of signal strength, which is fine, but not the only issue that can occur with a network connection. 

The two areas I’d be looking at next are potential areas of wifi interference, causing a brief disconnect between the CONNECT:AMP and your router. Signal strength may be fine 99% of the time, but occasional bouts of interference could force a dropped connection. Second, I’d do a simple network refresh, on the off hand possibility that the router has accidentally handed out duplicate IP addresses.  Unplug all Sonos devices from power, and reboot your router. Once the router has had a couple of minutes to come back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. Note that if this does ‘fix’ the issue, I’d recommend looking at the router’s manual to work out how to assign reserved IP addresses, which would help guard against this issue recurring.

But we can’t rule out potential hardware failure, as rare as it may be. The next time this happens, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting it back online, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.