Victrola Carbon Stream

• 29 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

https://victrola.com/

Didn’t know if anyone was aware of this but thought I would throw it out there. Not a vinyl guy myself but looks interesting. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Man did this topic drift off the rails!  Yes Jeffrey, the Victrola is an interesting addition to Sonos. In fact, I bought one and it’s fantastic. I live in Canada and was able to order through K&W Audio in Calgary, AB. It has some really cool features. When the tonearm reaches the end, it just stops spinning and shuts off. The control knob on the front adjusts volume and the unit comes with a decent cartridge. Setup couldn’t be simpler and the instructions are very easy to follow. The “Fun Factor” is off the charts but honestly what really surprised me was how good it sounds, I was not expecting that at all.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I read about the Wi-Fi dropouts as well, … you can see the white ethernet cable from my Victrola. I have Wi-Fi noise so most of my Sonos devices are hard-wired. I recently resolved drop out issues on Play 1 units upstairs by removing Sonosnet where they connected to the 5ghz band. The Victrola is able to connect to 5ghz so in my experience at least, that could eliminate a good deal of the drop out issues you’ve read about. I have not encountered any software bugs do date and found the app to be rock solid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@blahlex I do not live in the U.S., and I do not understand your negativity. This record player is not a Sonos device and the manufacturer is American. Setting up a dealer network outside the US may be al lot for a (possibly) small outfit. No manufacturer is obliged to sell anything everywhere.

It baffles me that the only turntable that works with Sonos can only be purchased if living in the US...

1. Why would it baffle you that some things are only available in the US?
  2. What makes you think this is “the only turntable that works with Sonos”.  There are hundreds of turntables that work with Sonos. 

I’ve been looking to upgrade my old TT and this looks like a great fit for a Sonos system.  I currently have a CD changer feeding a Yamaha amp and have the line out going to the Port and it all works very well.  Since this TT has the Sonos capability built in it looks like a good way to integrate.  My only concern from reading reviews is the drop outs that most people seem to have.  I know this is a new product and probably could have some software bugs so I’m waiting to hear that this issue has been resolved.  Anyone have input on it?

This seems like a decent unit. Most of the turntables that people talk about now are low end <$200 units with dreadful cartridges. You get what you pay for.

As I recall, there was a failed kickstarter for a similar device. Not that I know, particularly, but wonder how large the audience is. Although it may be that a larger company has a better chance of doing this sort of thing on the long term. 

It baffles me that the only turntable that works with Sonos can only be purchased if living in the US...

1. Why would it baffle you that some things are only available in the US?
  2. What makes you think this is “the only turntable that works with Sonos”.  There are hundreds of turntables that work with Sonos. 

Because Sonos sells its products world wide? Because besides this product the peasants outside the US have no other choice than purchasing a way-too-expensive-for-what-it-offers Port? I understand that by living in the US you feel you are entitled to better treatment, but in almost-2023 companies should know better.

I guess there is a reason Sonos doesn’t even list it on their website, they must not share jgatie’s mindset and it’s not truly part of their ecosystem.

Because Sonos sells its products world wide? Because besides this product the peasants outside the US have no other choice than purchasing a way-too-expensive-for-what-it-offers Port? I understand that by living in the US you feel you are entitled to better treatment, but in almost-2023 companies should know better.

I guess there is a reason Sonos doesn’t even list it on their website, they must not share jgatie’s mindset and it’s not truly part of their ecosystem.

Ahhh, now I see. Thinly veiled US bashing from someone with an obvious inferiority complex.

<Backs out of thread slowly>