Answered

Using a Roam on Ethernet / RJ45 - Possible via USB-C?

• 28 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Morning all,

In getting support on another Roam related question, I started to consider wifi strength and possible RJ45 connectivity.

There are many devices out there that indicate that they are wifi only but in reality do support a wired connection e.g some Roku boxes, even my treadmill that has essentially an inbuilt android tablet in it.

Adding a Ugreen usbc to RJ45 device can often introduce a wired link to replace a wireless one.

Does anyone know if that is possible on a Roam unit?

Reason to ask is that I’m off to a location that has notoriously poor wifi services but were rooms do have RJ45 ‘s outlets at the desk and room level. It could be a nice insurance policy.

Very interested to hear if anyone explored that route.

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by ratty 28 September 2022, 14:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

There is no documentation to support this and I don’t recall asking the question before, for the Roam or Move.  Roam is designed to be used as portable speaker, so there really isn’t a need for it to have a wired connection or transmit data through the USB port at all.  That said, USB it’s entirely possible that the standard hardware Sonos may use may have this in place by default.  Though perhaps not useful for the vast majority of consumers, it could be useful for development ad testing,.

I’d say it’s worth a test.  I don’t see how you could damage the Roam by trying.

To the best of my knowledge the USB is for power input only. Sonos would have had to deliberately add driver support for an Ethernet dongle, together with network stack changes.

If the location you’re headed to is relaxed about you connecting a device like Sonos then why not simply take along a small WiFi access point -- preconfigured obviously -- and plug that in instead.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

To the best of my knowledge the USB is for power input only. Sonos would have had to deliberately add driver support for an Ethernet dongle, together with network stack changes.

If the location you’re headed to is relaxed about you connecting a device like Sonos then why not simply take along a small WiFi access point -- preconfigured obviously -- and plug that in instead.

Hi Ratty … possible to expand on how that might work please? Do you mean to buy a device like this one below and plug it into an RJ45 port in room?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Wireless-Pocket-Sized-Repeater-White/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=travel+WiFi+access+point&qid=1664390856&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjcxIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

There is no documentation to support this and I don’t recall asking the question before, for the Roam or Move.  Roam is designed to be used as portable speaker, so there really isn’t a need for it to have a wired connection or transmit data through the USB port at all.  That said, USB it’s entirely possible that the standard hardware Sonos may use may have this in place by default.  Though perhaps not useful for the vast majority of consumers, it could be useful for development ad testing,.

I’d say it’s worth a test.  I don’t see how you could damage the Roam by trying.

It’s surprising how many times this type on connectivity does work. even when it seems highly unlikely. 

It’s definitely a niche need for sure and somewhat flies against the concept to some extent. But where a decent signal is not available then this could be interesting. 

I’ve ordered a Ugreen device that I have used successfully on a few application …. just to test it. Will report back and let folks know how I get on …. it’s a dice roll but …… 😀

Hi Ratty … possible to expand on how that might work please? Do you mean to buy a device like this one below and plug it into an RJ45 port in room?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Wireless-Pocket-Sized-Repeater-White/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=travel+WiFi+access+point&qid=1664390856&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjcxIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=electronics&sr=1-4

That could do the job, but as well as having an AP mode it’s also a router. This has the side benefit of giving you a private network for your Roam and Sonos controller (your phone presumably). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

That could do the job, but as well as having an AP mode it’s also a router. This has the side benefit of giving you a private network for your Roam and Sonos controller (your phone presumably). 

Super stuff Ratty and worth a play with that before travel. But just to ask, do you have a preferred device that you would suggest for that job? Fear not, happy to have a play at own risk time and money wise 😀 …. I can usually wade through most things eventually.

Indeed weight allowance is key on this trip … unusual for us but is an island trip where the last leg is seaplane and baggage limited to 25kg for 4 weeks! So pairing everything down to the smallest configuration possible  …  a fun little project in it’s own right.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Afternoon all.

A late report back and not good news. The RJ45 option on USB C does not work on the Roam.

As was said, there was no real expectation that it would but now we know it doesn’t at least. Worth a go :-)

Just to add, I use this when travelling -  it works great with the Roam…

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-2101-5g-wifi-6-mobile-hotspot

It also works fine on (another) mobile WiFi Hotspot - I have had it working on an iPhone-XR Hotspot whilst controlling it from an iPad.

It is just as easy though to use it over a Bluetooth connection, particularly as unlimited mobile data plans can be got quite cheaply in some region’s/countries or you can have the music stored on the controller device.