Turntable Recommendation

Userlevel 2
Hi, moving house and celebrating by bumping up our stereo system. We plan on adding a turntable than using a new sonos system to distribute the output (and enjoy our music all over the house).

I understand that a turntable must have a preamp to use the line in on a connect. Struggling to find if the turntables we are looking at meet the bill. So if someone could suggest a good turntable that will connect to a sonos i would be grateful.

Our budget would be up to £500.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Yes, turntable into the Phono jacks. Connect Out to Tape In, Tape Out to Connect In. Use the Tape Mon button to play music from the Connect via the Marantz.

I use an old Marantz 1060 amp in my vintage setup (‘cause it looks so cool). The Connect is wired via one of the tape loops. The Marantz doesn't need to be powered up to route line-level devices like a CD player to the Sonos network, but would need to be powered to use its internal phono preamp.

Hey there chicks so just wondering if you could confirm you have your turntable into your marantz 1060 amp and then from the marantz 1060 amp into your sonos system via a line in ? I’m very interested in purchasing a marantz 1060 amp but want to make sure I can connect to my sonos connect. Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks.
I use an old Marantz 1060 amp in my vintage setup (‘cause it looks so cool). The Connect is wired via one of the tape loops. The Marantz doesn't need to be powered up to route line-level devices like a CD player to the Sonos network, but would need to be powered to use its internal phono preamp.
As an alternative do you know if we would be able to run an output from the amp to the line in on the connect. Need to check if there is a line out from the amp but just wondering uf its a possible set up.

If you have an existing system with phono preamp capability, or will connect the new turntable and preamp to an existing amp, then yes, many amps have line-level outputs -- sometimes for a remote zone, sometimes for recording deck purposes -- that are suited for connection to a Sonos Line-In. Your owners manual should shed some light there.
We want a turntable as we are "inheriting" a decent collection.

Lucky you :)

I'm with Kumar though and suspect that after the initial enjoyment you'll start to wish they were more accessible. Then you'll rip them to digital (preferably lossless) and suddenly they're always available in a moment, full disc or track by track and playlists.
As an alternative do you know if we would be able to run an output from the amp to the line in on the connect. Need to check if there is a line out from the amp but just wondering uf its a possible set up

If it is a phono preamp, it has to have a line out that will deliver the low voltage signal from the turntable, amplified to a line out level by the preamp, for use by any amplifier with line level audio inputs, similar to the ones the Connect has.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for recommendations. We want a turntable as we are "inheriting" a decent collection. As an alternative do you know if we would be able to run an output from the amp to the line in on the connect. Need to check if there is a line out from the amp but just wondering uf its a possible set up
We plan on adding a turntable than using a new sonos system to distribute the output (and enjoy our music all over the house).

I have a Rega P5 that works great, but I have to ask - unless you have a lot of records you must listen to, why add a turntable? Once you get Sonos, even CDs are a pain to use. My CDs, records and turntable do not see any use now. The Rega is just a great conversation piece, that I run once in a few months just to keep it in working condition.
Lots of choices. I'm running a 1980's Sony PS-X65, which is well-regarded in its price range, but lots of internal electronics starting to act up, mostly old capacitors. Other vintage decks worth investigating include Dual 1019/1219, several of the Thorens line, Empire 298/398/598, Technics 1200, ELAC / Benjamin Miracord, among many others.

New, it's hard to go wrong with Rega, though almost all new turntables will be fully manual, and all the quality ones will require an external preamp. Some of the better Pro-Ject tables might be within your budget. Lots of other brands to choose from, including the upcoming U-Turn one on Kickstarter.

The best place to discuss turntables may be vinylengine, but be prepared for a huge diversity of opinion, and a lot of audiophoolishness there.

Phonopreamps.com is a good place for quality, no-nonsense preamps. Prices for preamps can get downright silly, and claims made for them can sometimes be dubious, at best.