Sonos contributing to electronic waste

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

I don’t - but I find the concept of selling new kit to people that in a few months time you’re going to be saying simply isn’t up to scratch - to the degree that you’re offering trade-in terms - to be a bit bizarre...

But that is not what you said.  You stated “we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago”, as if they were actually Connects being bricked a few months after a sale. 

Nothing but melodrama and FUD (as usual).  

What would help make this a good scheme is for Sonos to declare prominently that it will remain a Sonos policy from here on out: Put up an approved/registered model for recycling at any time in the future and the new unit will be discounted by 30%. That should allow for software upgrades that render units obsolete to be not as unpopular as they are now, and also not have people rush to recycle simply in anticipation of this happening.

From my understanding, Sonos intends to keep the program going indefinitely, but obviously, they cannot promise that the program will continue for as long as Sonos remains in business.  If it proves to be bad for business in whatever way, I’m sure they will put an end to it as a reasonable time.  As far as people rushing to recycle, your assuming that people are actually doing that.  It’s possible, but as far as know, Sonos hasn’t released any numbers on that.  There are those on here that think it’s a sign that older programs will be de-supportted, but it’s just speculation that the general Sonos customer thinks that way.  Regardless, there isn’t a reason to think that Sonos would end the old products without giving customers a chance to apply for the discount.

The smart thing for a customer to do would be to weigh in the personal value of the old products and whether or not it makes sense for them to get a new product.  This is what I’m doing and what everyone else who’s shared their plans is doing.  I’m not sure why the general Sonos customer would just panic and trade in their working units under some assumption that they have to.

One thing that bother’s me about the whole argument that the Sonos program trade up program is environmentally flawed is it places all ‘blame’ for recycling instead of reuse on Sonos and not on the individual person who chooses to participate in the program.   I get that Sonos is changing the dynamics of the decision to recycle or reuse with this program, but if reuse is important to the customer, they will make the choice to reuse instead of recycle despite incentives.  It’s ultimately still the customers values that matter, and the customers decisions to make.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

@melvimbe thanks for your comments. I contacted Sonos support on Social media and they confirmed that a brand new Connect bought from them today would be eligible for recycling right away. They also said it won't be getting updates for much longer. They would not respond when asked why the website description is so inaccurate.

So thank you to everyone for stopping me from buying a POS. A Port would be logical but I would like optical. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

@melvimbe thanks for your comments. I contacted Sonos support on Social media and they confirmed that a brand new Connect bought from them today would be eligible for recycling right away. They also said it won't be getting updates for much longer. They would not respond when asked why the website description is so inaccurate.

So thank you to everyone for stopping me from buying a POS. A Port would be logical but I would like optical. 

I wold take that bold statement with a grain of salt.  It’s vague, and contradicts what’s been said by staff here on these forums...that being that Sonos does not have plans to end updates to the Connect.

Regardless, I don’t think it makes much sense to spend $350 on a Connect, instead of $400 on a Port.

But after next week will it make sense to spend $450 on a Port instead of $350 on a connect? A lot of folks will have trouble finding $100 worth of extra value in the Port.

The Port is missing features that I would like. I think I would have been happy with the Connect. But since it will be bricked in a couple of years not so much...If Sonos was upfront about when updates will stop it would be an easier decision especially since buying used now is way more risky than it was before the Recycle program. 

There are other options and I'm very still happy with my Amp.

The Port is missing features that I would like. I think I would have been happy with the Connect. But since it will be bricked in a couple of years not so much...If Sonos was upfront about when updates will stop it would be an easier decision especially since buying used now is way more risky than it was before the Recycle program. 

Nobody has even intimated the Connect “will be bricked in a couple of years” or “it won't be getting updates for much longer”, except for you, an anonymous forum poster claiming Sonos support said it.  That hearsay is contradicted by what actual Sonos support personnel have stated on this forum.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Nobody has even intimated the Connect “will be bricked in a couple of years” or “it won't be getting updates for much longer”, except for you, an anonymous forum poster claiming Sonos support said it.  That hearsay is contradicted by what actual Sonos support personnel have stated on this forum.

Sorry to have triggered you but you need to keep up. Sonos can feel free to correct their CS if this is wrong. If you look at my other post I quoted what support said which imo is a lot less alarmist than "much longer". But whatever they seem pretty silent on this which speaks for itself.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

That bold part above regarding support is incorrect. I’ll make sure the team has the right information going out. 

A new Connect purchased today from our website will continue to get updates and support, though it will be eligible for trade up, since all Connects are. That said, for people making the choice between a Connect and a Port, they’re still deciding between the new technology and the old generation. On paper, the two have mostly the same functionality today, no optical on the Port, and it support AirPlay 2 which the Connect doesn’t. However, Port has far better components in regards to networking, computing, and processing audio. It’s a brand new product that has been fully upgraded, which does make it more future proof than the older hardware of the Connect.

No offense but this is almost the same non response I received from your Twitter bot. And doesn't contradict what your CS said.

I want to buy a Connect but it is impossible to get accurate information. 

How long will I get updates for if I purchase a Connect today? 

A. 1 year

B. 2 years

C. 3 years

D. 4 years

E. 5 years

F. More than 5 years

Also a suggestion,  should change the last chance product page for connect as it says that it delivers incredible performance and sound. You are quoted in the Verge as saying that recycle eligible products are incapable of providing the modern Sonos experience. This seems contradictory and misleading.

since buying used now is way more risky than it was before the Recycle program. 

Why?

The sound and performance of the Connect is incredible, that hasn’t changed. The fact that the older devices can’t support the modern Sonos experience doesn’t change their sound or performance from being incredible. 

Since except in the wonderful world of marketing there really can't be anything audibly better than “incredible”, thank you Ryan for a realistic Sonos assessment of the sound quality of Port v Connect, notwithstanding the fact that the Port has perhaps a DAC of newer design with better measured specs.

Buying used is more risky as folks are now selling traded gear as fully functional. You might be able to get a refund but the scammers are likely to try to avoid that. There were folks selling broken gear before so it is just additional risk, not something new.

Got it, thanks. I had not thought of that first part, not devious enough to have realised it:-).

Buying used is more risky as folks are now selling traded gear as fully functional. You might be able to get a refund but the scammers are likely to try to avoid that. There were folks selling broken gear before so it is just additional risk, not something new.

Got it, thanks. I had not thought of that first part, not devious enough to have realised it:-).

I guess there is also a risk for sellers as somebody could buy a used unit from you and add it to their system then put it into recycle to get a voucher and then demand a refund claiming it was already in recycle when you sent it. Maybe Sonos would help resolve this by verifying who actually got the recycle credit but I don’t know how much they want to get involved in used equipment sales.

@upstatemike : Lol. That is the next level of deviousness. There is this thing called the law of unintended consequences that may come into play here, with this program, though there is no knowing how large an effect it will have on the used market.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

since buying used now is way more risky than it was before the Recycle program. 

Why?

Simply because one now runs the risk of buying a device that was disabled as part of the upgrade programme. It’s an additional factor that wasn’t there previously.

@pwt: right, Stanley explained it a little earlier today.