Answered

RCA analogs out from Sonos port

• 21 November 2022
  • 10 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

The analog RCA outputs are said to be 24 bits. Is this per channel or is it 12 bits per channel 24bits combined?

icon

Best answer by buzz 22 November 2022, 03:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

It's analog. There are no bits.

OK, so I guess the real question is can you stream 24-bit audio signal out of the RCA analog ports to a mixer without losing any of its signal quality? 
I know the Sonos port can stream 24 bit audio but nowhere in their component literature does it say that it streams that out of every output it has. You have ( Wi-Fi signal ) - ( analog outputs) and a (digital coax output). Digital coax output is capable of higher bit audio signal than analog. I asked the Sonos tech if the port could stream 24 bit audio through all of its outputs and or its wi-fi signal. They could not give me an answer. For my application, I can only use the RCA analog outputs. I’m trying to find out if all of the Port outputs are 100% capable of streaming a high quality 24bit signal file form or is it just one of the output sources like its “digital coax output.” The Sonos tech is supposed to call back with an answer, but could not give me a direct answer on the phone when asked.

OK, so I guess the real question is can you stream 24-bit audio signal out of the RCA analog ports to a mixer without losing any of its signal quality? 
I know the Sonos port can stream 24 bit audio but nowhere in their component literature does it say that it streams that out of every output it has. You have ( Wi-Fi signal ) - ( analog outputs) and a (digital coax output). Digital coax output is capable of higher bit audio signal than analog. I asked the Sonos tech if the port could stream 24 bit audio through all of its outputs and or its wi-fi signal. They could not give me an answer. For my application, I can only use the RCA analog outputs. I’m trying to find out if all of the Port outputs are 100% capable of streaming a high quality 24bit signal file form or is it just one of the output sources like its “digital coax output.” The Sonos tech is supposed to call back with an answer, but could not give me a direct answer on the phone when asked.

The math used to perfectly convert digital to analog has been around for over 100 years.  It's not rocket science.  If it's in the digital, it will be in the analog.

ArtG,

Set PORT for “Fixed” output. Now, you will have full 24bit resolution available at the analog outputs.

Although many have tried, there are no peer reviewed studies proving that we need more than 16bits at 44K for final distribution and playback. 48Kbps is a common sample rate used in professional equipment. 44/16 is the compact disc rate.

During recording and post processing there are advantages when running at high bit rates, such as 384 or 576K and 32bits, but attempting to push these rates through to the final listener is simply vying for bragging rights with no practical benefit.

ArtG,

Set PORT for “Fixed” output. Now, you will have full 24bit resolution available at the analog outputs.

Not that it should matter audibly - there has been so much nit picking here in the past on the Port sound that I no longer recall all the detail. But I remember a recommendation by ratty to use variable to bypass some tinkering that Sonos is said by some to have done with the Port sound. Or does that variable recommendation apply to only the digital output?

Also, setting any Port output to fixed means losing remote volume control via the Sonos app for some imagined audible benefit.

One also should set the EQ to Flat and disable Loudness.

I am not an A/V tech or I wouldn’t be asking these questions in the forum. You don’t know until its learned. Thats what I’m trying to do here learn.
 Thank you for the information regardless. 😉 Jgatie

Thank you Buzz big help. Appreciate it.

I am not an A/V tech or I wouldn’t be asking these questions in the forum. You don’t know until its learned. Thats what I’m trying to do here learn.

In that case, the key learning would be that 99 percent of what you hear would be quality dependent on how well the performance has been recorded and the kit attached downstream of the Port - especially the speaker side of things. A typical home room acoustic and ambient sound levels will keep all else to 1% or less.