One SUB for Two Rooms

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I’d also like the same sub to eighter play 2.1 music content or 5.1 theater content. I think the solution would be for a front stereo pair of speakers (Play 5, 3, 1, or Ones) to be bonded to the home theater setup, and the allow for a “2.1 music mode” where just the front stereo speakers and Sub play (with the option of music playing out of the other speakers as well). I wouldn’t mind if the bonded front speakers did nothing while in home theater mode, but it would be a bonus if they did. Having a 2.1 and 5.1 setup in the same physical room that shares one Sub is what matters to me. Please?!
I wouldn't expect one soon, unfortunately. This kind of request is quite old, and so far, they've not acted on it. Plus it would probably impact their sales of the SUB.
The Sub is a bit pricey, however I could justify the cost of one sub to my customers if it could serve 2 areas, versus zero sub's. . I don't have any data on this, but I think they would sell more subs if you allowed this feature.
Understand your perspective, but I'd imagine the reason that they haven't done that is due to some sort of market information that they have. Or perhaps there's a software limitation, who knows.
I’m jumping on this bandwagon as well, although it doesn’t appear likely that it will ever come into fruition...

I found this thread as i was searching for “ share sub between rooms” . And as i read it is not possible.

Why i want this!

I have 2 plays and a sub. Perfect for music. I bought a beam for better tv quality, but the beam has poor bass.

So i want to share the sub….

TV OFF = SUB WITH THE PLAY’S

MUSIC OFF = BEAM WITH SUB.

NO MORE NO LESS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not set up your room as a surround package?

+1 for the ability to move a Sub between two “rooms” in the same physical space.

I own a Stereo pair of ones with a sub (Placement of ones left and right of the tv in order to get a stereo experience while sitting on the couch. The couch ist the main music listening area and the only area to watch tv).

Im thinking of purchasing a beam. As i can‘t pair the sub with the beam and the ones - what about bonding the sub with the beam (for tv only) and group the stereo pair of ones with the tv setup for music?

Or would the music experience of the grouping scenario be worse than my current setup?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

+1 for the ability to move a Sub between two “rooms” in the same physical space.

I own a Stereo pair of ones with a sub (Placement of ones left and right of the tv in order to get a stereo experience while sitting on the couch. The couch ist the main music listening area and the only area to watch tv).

Im thinking of purchasing a beam. As i can‘t pair the sub with the beam and the ones - what about bonding the sub with the beam (for tv only) and group the stereo pair of ones with the tv setup for music?

Or would the music experience of the grouping scenario be worse than my current setup?

Thanks!

@Cronos147 

I have a very similar set up and I made the “compromise” of putting the Ones in the rear – even though it’s not ideal for music, it sounds pretty cool for surround.

Ones in stereo with Sub sounds amazing, but I don’t like the way music sounds quite as well when the Beam is included though... Not sure exactly what it is. Seems to me like it shifts the focus of certain frequencies, but it could also just be something to do with a third source of sound feeling out of place in “stereo” recordings.

Not to say that the combination sounds bad, but I have tried various configurations – as well as tweaking the settings to put the emphasis on the surrounds (to the point the Beam is hardly present), but I still prefer the Ones+Sub on their own (without the Beam) for music.

I sometimes switch them between home theater mode (with all 4 speakers) and stereo (without the Beam), but while 2 minutes to rerun Trueplay may not seem like much in theory, in practice it’s a real hassle to have un-bond, re-bond, and re-run it each time… to the point that I usually just live with it in one or the other for a while until I get irritated enough to take the steps to change it back. If there were a way to “save” the settings for different configurations it would make life a lot easier.

Another vote for this.

I was designing out my ideal setup for an open main floor living space that is used for both TV/Movie viewing and for playing music on the whole floor. Ideally, I could share the sub between the two “room” configurations:

1. TV/Movies: Playbar + Sub
  2. Music: Play:5 + Sub

The main floor is not nearly large enough to justify 2 subs (price notwithstanding!) so it’s frustrating this can’t be configured.

Now I’m considering ditching Sonos altogether.

Now I’m considering ditching Sonos altogether.

For? 

Andrew Jones Pioneer system + traditional amplifier (undecided).

Certainly, a whole different feature set but a bit more predictable.

Andrew Jones Pioneer system + traditional amplifier (undecided).

Certainly, a whole different feature set but a bit more predictable.

So there is no comparable system to Sonos that allows you to bond a sub with more than one room?