ZP90 Dead or Dying?

• 31 December 2018
  • 13 replies

Guys we have a long established Sonos network.
As part I use a ZP90 (which) is hardwired to the router to drive a B&W zeplalin speaker.

This speaker is the least used in the house.

In trying to use it yesterday it did not appear as a speaker in the Android app.

So i have tried to add it (as a connect as ZP90 not listed as an option) i have tried new ethernet cable, no eithernet cable, power cycles and a factory reset (which it does not seem to do as no lights on front).

Any suggestions?

On a side note the system did a wobble yeaterday, loosing all conectivity requiring speakers to be re added, by hardwire of one speaker to the router.
I mention this as the ZP90 was the original hardwired connection (yes i know this not required for some time but it is an old setup). This may be indicative of the ZP90 dying and a new mesh being required.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds dead

and don't think worth getting Sonos to repair when the new Sonos Amp is SO much better in sound.

May still be worth call to Sonos as maybe they will give you a loyalty discount on the new AMP.
A B&W Zeppelin is an active speaker. Incompatible with an Amp.
Cheers Chris, i suspect you're correct, just grabbing at straws i suspect.

Hi ratty, the zp90 has phono outputs which connect to the zeplalin input. It's was set up by the original installer back in 2009, if it's incompatable I've done pretty well with 9 good years 🆒

Thanks for taking the time to reply..all the best for 2019
Hi ratty, the zp90 has phono outputs which connect to the zeplalin input. It's was set up by the original installer back in 2009, if it's incompatable I've done pretty well with 9 good years 🆒
That's not what I said. I said Zeppelin was incompatible with Sonos Amp (which Chris mentioned as a potential substitute). Amp is for driving passive speakers; it has no line-level output.
Gotcha.. cheers for the clarification
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My fault - I was thinking ZP100 … so your running yes an old Connect.

Still - sounds like dead. Thanks for catching my mistake Ratty.

I had in my head the amp since I run B&W passive speakers off my Sonos Amps.
Couple of points:

If the ZP won't factory reset it is likely to be beyond the pale, as Chris suggests. Interesting that it was still providing a SonosNet wireless function for the rest of the system, though it sounds like that was getting flaky too. If Connect is too pricey I'd suggest a ZP90 off eBay as a replacement. (ZP80 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and only has SonosNet 1.0.)

Substituting an alternative Sonos component for the ZP as the wired node didn't require "speakers to be re added" at all. They'd all just work.
Cheers again.

Confusing a bit as the eithernet lights still seem active, will prob just bin this location ( hallway) as it only gets used at house parties and only there as i didn't want to chuck out the zeplalin, it has the original apple mounting/ connector had it years so owes me nothing.
Confusing a bit as the eithernet lights still seem active.

My ZP90 died a couple of weeks ago and just looking at it now. Won't reset, no lights. Except for both ethernet ports flashing away like they are doing stuff. I wonder if it was a recent update that bricked it?
Unlikely. There would be hundreds of posts here if that were the case, with all sorts of caterwauling. It probably was at its end of life, and the reboot process kicked it over.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A call to Sonos support might be worth the time, if they can't get it working maybe they could get you a deal on a replacement.
Userlevel 2
Unlikely. There would be hundreds of posts here if that were the case, with all sorts of caterwauling. It probably was at its end of life, and the reboot process kicked it over.
My ZP90 died a couple of weeks ago as well. Maybe this is due to an update.Or is there a built-in end-of-life?
Ethernet lights blinking like crazy. I used the ZP90 (other than with my Sonos speakers) to feed music through to my (Devialet) receiver using the cinch and optical ports. What choice do I have to use Sonos app to send music through to the receiver via wire?
There is no forced EOL for ZP90. This is a hardware issue. CONNECT replaces ZP90. CONNECT is simply a renamed ZP90. Only the product label was changed.

If you visit a large service facility you'll see piles of a given model and each model usually fails in a unique characteristic pattern that changes with the model's age. It's similar to a hospital situation where, at this time of year, "everyone" has the measles or the flu.