zp80 or media centre PC?

• 23 April 2008
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
In my living room I will be having a media centre PC which I could use as the desktop controller for sonos and could be connected to my av amp, would the sound quality be better if I had a ZP80 instead of using the audio out on the media PC

4 replies

Userlevel 2
If you use a digital output from the media center pc to your amp there shouldn't be a difference in sound quality. What you'll lose out on is using the handheld Controller (you'll have to have your TV on to figure out what's playing) and the chance for multi room expansion.

-Jason
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks Jason,

I'll probably go with the ZP80 to integrate with my other zones as most media pc's don't have digital audio out
Thanks Jason,

I'll probably go with the ZP80 to integrate with my other zones as most media pc's don't have digital audio out

You can get a USB digital out for $25. Please note that the desktop controller doesn't play music on your computer. It only controls your Sonos equipment. There is currently no way of playing music on your pc through Sonos. So your media center pc will always be separate.

Actually, I have a Media PC and a ZP80 sitting right next to each other. I wouldn't want to use my Media PC for audio though, because I'd have to turn on the TV to control it.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Jason,

Till yesterday I had only a mediacenter pc (MCE) and I always had to switch on my pc, tv and amplifier. Yesterday I bought the Sonos ZP80 and the controller! So now I don't have to switch on the tv to control the music! Because my amplifier is already an old one I am not able to connect it through optical. But the music still sounds better through the zp80 then when it was playing through the MCE.