Answered

ZP120 and ZP90 connection issues

• 29 March 2020
  • 7 replies

After hours of connecting, hard wire, wireless, rebooting everything and then re-setting back to factory settings. Nothing. Both these units get to the end and come back with cant connect. 

I have not yet re-set the bridge. Is this advisable??

So desperately wanting to go through all my old casettes and ply them over my old home made 12’’ speakers:) Oldskool.

Any help would be great

Cheers

icon

Best answer by ratty 31 March 2020, 17:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Resetting devices rarely fixes any underlying problems. And in this case, it’s liable to be the power supply on the BarIdGE that may be failing. Try unplugging the BRIDGE, and instead wire to one of the other devices, and see if you can get it set up that way. You may need to move a device so it can be reached by a Ethernet cable, but it’s a temporary solution to get it set back up. Once it’s set up, you can move to a setup where the devices connect to your Wi-Fi.

If you do still need a BRIDGE type device, you should replace it with the BOOST. It’s an upgrade device. 

Hi and Thanks for your response.

The system I have works fine, the bridge and the Play3 speaker work fine. The problem is adding the ZP120 and ZP90. These are both seem to work, have been re-set. They just cant be seen by the existing system. Is there another way to firce the connection?

Sorry for this additional note. I have just understood what you may be getting at.

Can this sytem run without a Bridge, just use the ZP items? I thought everything went through the Bridge.

Yes, just wire one of your currently working devices, instead of the BRIDGE. It will then take on the same functions as the BRIDGE did, without pThe issues that have been associated with the BRIDGE’s old and potentially failing power supply.

ZP120 and ZP90 are old models. Have they been out of action for a long time? If so the outdated firmware may be having a hard time communicating wirelessly with the rest of the system. The units may need to be wired temporarily in order to be added and updated.

I have a system working with the bridge and Play3 speaker. A freind of mine was not using the zp items and left them with me.

I thought they would just drop into my existing system so I could play old formats and listen in other rooms with my old speakers while also still using the play3 speaker through the bridge.

What i am not following is if I should do without the Bridge and use the zp’s to connect, old style speakers and also be able to still use my Play3 speaker, or ??

All documents online suggest that the Bridge is the connector and all the other items work through it.

Any ideas before I start all over again? The nice part, I have plenty of time now we are into day 8 of self isolation.

Cheers

Presumably the system is working okay with Bridge and Play:3. To start with you need to get the ZPs connected.

Temporarily wire the ZPs to the network as well as the Bridge. If you lack spare ports, wire the ZP90 to the Bridge’s second Ethernet port, and the ZP120 to the ZP90’s second port. Daisy-chain fashion.

Next power up each ZP in turn while holding down the Play/Pause button (it may still be labelled Mute). Keep pressing, and only release when the LED flashes amber. Then wait for green. This will factory reset the ZPs.

When both are flashing green, try to add the ZP90 then the ZP120. If they add okay, update them.

You can then deploy the ZPs wirelessly. 

If you want you can then dispense with the Bridge entirely. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3458