Question

Zp100 stops responding. Works for a while after reboot.

• 7 August 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge
I have a zp100 that I bought used and does not qualify for Rma. Recently, it began dropping off the network. After troubleshooting with tech support, it seems the unit freezes up. It begins working again after reboot, until it freezes up again. It can last anywhere from 1 to 10+ hours between incidents.

By freezes up, I mean to say that it does not respond to button pushes on the unit itself. The led remains solid white, but no response to buttons and it is no longer visible on the network. After reboot, it behaves as expected for a while.

We have identified it is not an ip conflict. Also, the network ports continue to work on the back, even when the unit is frozen.

This behavior happens whether connected via wire or wireless. Tech support says it is a failing unit and not a network issue.

I am looking for others who have had similar problems to see if they were able to diagnose and repair the unit on their own. Or, I am looking for advice for a good repair center that I can send/take it to for repair.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

picolla1,

Since SONOS has not released any documentation, field service is not practical.

Each electronic device has a few typical failure modes that can vary over the life of the unit and your ZP100 symptoms are familiar. Some users have attempted their own repair with varying success. This is not a project for the inexperienced or those without proper tools, but if you dig around you can find disassembly discussions. Power supply issues are the most likely cause, but some have reported FLASH memory failure.
Userlevel 2
This is happening to me right now following the new SONOS software updates. The ZP100 appears as an available player and then drops off. Very frustrating. Maybe the ZP100 is no longer compatible with the newest software update? They should have warned me.
The ZP100 is fine. You are experiencing IP conflicts due to a router problem. These will show up because the update causes the units to reboot and the router hands out addresses it thinks are free, but the are assigned to other devices. You have to reboot your entire network, modem and router, then Sonos devices, then computers and printers, then phones, tablets and other wireless devices. That will eliminate the conflicts.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The ZP100 is compatible with the 6.4 update. They stopped making the ZP100 at least 5 years ago, so your unit has been in use at least that long, perhaps as long as a decade. And since you bought it used, who knows how it was deployed in the previous owner(s) home. Temporarily wire it to your router and see if it drops still. If it doesn't, that means that the wifi on the unit is kaput. You can rig up a workaround by setting up a wifi extender that has an ethernet port on it and wiring into the extender.
I have found the solution to ZP100 dropping of issue. It's a simple fix but does mean you have to open it up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273193642186?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649