Answered

Xbox controller headphones won't play sound - why?

• 20 January 2020
  • 4 replies

I have an Xbox One X and want to hear the sound on the headphones that plug into the controller.  All I hear is the (awesome!) sound from the Playbar, Sub and two One’s.  The optical audio cable currently goes from the Vizio TV to the Playbar.  I’ve tried running it to the Xbox and there is no change.  

How do I get sound to the headphones?

icon

Best answer by patteacher 20 January 2020, 15:48

Thank you both for the replies.  I have solved my problem!  Simple answer - updated the controller software.  I checked Sonos, Razer (headphone brand) and then Xbox for solutions.  Everybody pointed fingers at the other.  While exploring Xbox help center options, I discovered that there is a devise driver update available for each controller.  After a few minutes, all updates were completed and then everything worked like a charm.   

I can control, game audio, chat or a mix. It was far simpler than everything I tried.  I have 2 pairs of high quality headphones and neither of them worked.  I bought a great new pair of gamer headphones over the holidays and they were returned to Amazon because I figured they didn’t work either.  Then ordered another pair, gave my problem solving skills a work out and wha-laa, problem solved.  

Thanks again!  All good here.  Check for device updates - even on ALL brand new stuff.  

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Since you Playbar is connected to the TV by optical, the Xbox does not have any way of knowing it is connected. This leads me to suspect this is an Xbox problem. Do you have any sound from your headphones on the Xbox if you unplug the Playbar?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There are (approximately) a zillion options on the Xbox for how audio gets delivered to headphones. Do you want game audio, or chat, or a mix? I’d have to check with my teenage son for more details.

However as 106rallye says, don’t mess with the optical cable as that has nothing to do with this scenario, leave it going from the TV to the Playbar (I assume the Xbox is feeding the TV over hdmi).

Thank you both for the replies.  I have solved my problem!  Simple answer - updated the controller software.  I checked Sonos, Razer (headphone brand) and then Xbox for solutions.  Everybody pointed fingers at the other.  While exploring Xbox help center options, I discovered that there is a devise driver update available for each controller.  After a few minutes, all updates were completed and then everything worked like a charm.   

I can control, game audio, chat or a mix. It was far simpler than everything I tried.  I have 2 pairs of high quality headphones and neither of them worked.  I bought a great new pair of gamer headphones over the holidays and they were returned to Amazon because I figured they didn’t work either.  Then ordered another pair, gave my problem solving skills a work out and wha-laa, problem solved.  

Thanks again!  All good here.  Check for device updates - even on ALL brand new stuff.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I had to upgrade the firmware in my grill this week. Yeah.