Would I notice an upgrade from 2 x One surrounds to 2 x Play:3?

• 15 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

We have two Sonos surround set-ups, one we use much more than the other, and I’m wondering whether to reconfigure to maximise the sound quality of the one we use most. 

Current set-up:

Room 1: Playbar and 2 x Play:3 

Room 2: Beam, 2 x One, Sub

We use room 2 far more than room 1. We’ve already moved the sub, which was originally in room 1.  But now I’m wondering whether also to swap the surrounds. Swapping the sound bars themselves would be more hassle so I’m disinclined to do that.

I care mostly about music playback, and have the surrounds in ‘full’ mode, but improvements to TV sound would also be nice.

On the face of it, “three” is better than “one”, right? So I’d assume swapping the surrounds would improve room 2.  But… given there’s already a sub in room 2, does that render some of the Play:3’s advantages redundant?  Similarly, the Play:3 is older tech than the One. Does that matter?  Finally, I don’t want to completely ruin room 1 so if downgrading the surrounds there will make things noticeably worse, especially with no sub to compensate then that would militate against.  Oh.. and the rooms are 150 miles apart so “just try it” would be easier said than done… I only want to go to the logistical hassle if it’s likely to have been worth it!

Hence my question: how much difference would I likely notice by swapping the surrounds for the systems described above?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

On the face of it, “three” is better than “one”, right? 

No. The One is a much more recent model (2017 vs 2011), and sounds a whole lot better.

Since you already have the units, just try swapping them over and testing for yourself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

On the face of it, “three” is better than “one”, right? 

No. The One is a much more recent model (2017 vs 2011), and sounds a whole lot better.

Since you already have the units, just try swapping them over and testing for yourself.

I can’t agree with this  

I own a pair of 3s and a couple pairs of ones. The 3s are a step up from the ones when used for surround and music. It might have something to do with an extra woofer…..

Dunno, it may be a personal preference. I’ve tried both, and ended up with the PLAY:3s for use for strictly music, and the Ones as surround speakers. 

Badge

I’ve tried both, and ended up with the PLAY:3s for use for strictly music, and the Ones as surround speakers. 

@Airgetlam interesting.  In the same room?

Anyway - thanks for the replies. Sounds like I’ll just have to try it.

Yes, actually. The pair of PLAY:3s are in front of me for music playback, the Sonos Ones are behind me, bonded to the sound bar in front. I’ve got the two Sonos ‘rooms’ labeled differently, so I can use voice commands, particularly for music on the PLAY:3s.