Question

Wiring Question - Should I use a Connect to talk to a Connect Amp, or something different

• 25 October 2017
  • 8 replies

I have a TV outside with a Directv mini Genie. I want to push my audio from the TV into the two outdoor speakers, and have the ability to change the source from the TV to any of my other music services. I have an unused coax cable that is running back to my wiring closet. I have drawn up the attached diagram for what I think I need to do, but I'm not sure if it is the best practice. Is there a better way?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Using either the Connect or the Connect:Amp, you would need analog RCA cables (1 for each channel) coming from an analog output on the TV to the analog line-in on the Sonos device. The Connect only has digital optical and coax outputs, not inputs. Your best bet would be a Playbar or Playbase connected to the optical out on the TV, which can then be grouped with any and all other Sonos devices.
So, you are saying I should get the audio signal from the TV instead of the Directv box? The other problem is that the TV is mounted in an outdoor fireplace with not much room. I haven't measured, but I don't think I have the room for a playbar. I barely have enough room behind the TV for the connect. The connect AMP may not fit (again I haven't yet measured)
So, you are saying I should get the audio signal from the TV instead of the Directv box? The other problem is that the TV is mounted in an outdoor fireplace with not much room. I haven't measured, but I don't think I have the room for a playbar. I barely have enough room behind the TV for the connect. The connect AMP may not fit (again I haven't yet measured)

No, just saying that any audio output that you send to the Connect or Connect:Amp must be analog, not digital. If your Directv box has analog output and the TV does not (some only have digital outs), and Directv is your only source, then use that. The main point is the input to the Connect:Amp or Connect must be analog, in the diagram above the cable is digital. As to using the Connect or Connect:Amp, if the Connect:Amp is going to be near the TV, no need for the Connect. Run analog RCA cables from the source (TV or Directv box) directly to the Line-in on the Connect:Amp.

Note: The analog line-in introduces a slight (70 ms) delay in order to buffer the input for streaming. You may or may not notice this delay as a lip-sync problem when video is playing.
Okay, I understand what you are saying. I missed the whole part about the Connect only having analog input. I have redone the diagram... How well do the digital to analog converters work?

They work, but try to get one that doesn't inject more delay into the system. Best would be analog outputs on the DirectTV or the TV itself, but a DAC will do if it has no delay.
They work, but try to get one that doesn't inject more delay into the system. Best would be analog outputs on the DirectTV or the TV itself, but a DAC will do if it has no delay.

I have a new Sony TV, and it has one analog output. Would that be better than using a DAC?

1 (rear/hybrid with headphone and subwoofer out)
Yes, but sometimes headphone outputs are not that high quality, so try it out first. Not saying that one is low quality, it is a hybrid, but try it. You can also adjust the input level on the Line-in in case the output is too low.

PS - So far I've saved you $350 for a Connect and ~$50 for a DAC, you can send me a new Sonos One and call it even. 😉