Answered

Wired speakers

• 18 May 2019
  • 3 replies

I currently have a PlayBar, Sub, and 2 Play1s configured in surround mode. I am moving to a new home soon that has 4 ceiling mounted speakers that seem to terminate in a built-in cabinet below where the TV will be mounted. I'm wondering how to best utilize those speakers in a new configuration. Should I get a new Sonos Amp to drive those and let them "replace" the Play1s (if that can even be configured that way)? Could the Sonos Amp live in a cabinet without any problems with heat? I'd appreciate any advice the community can provide. Tony
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 20 May 2019, 22:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi tonysdca

Let’s address the obvious…
You currently have $1,796 –USD invested in a Sonos DD5.1 setup. Do you really want to put it in moth balls (unless you can repurpose it elsewhere)?

Using the Sonos Amp...
You could use a Sonos Amp to drive two (2) of the ceiling speakers as surrounds. You wouldn’t want to use all four (4); as Sonos only supports DD5.1. So in essence you’d be wasting two (2) of the four (4) speakers.

As a What If…
The Sonos soundbar delivers LF/C/RF channels. Using a Sonos Amp you would lose the “true” center channel using two (2) of the in-ceiling speakers for front audio. The sub could still be used. You could use the two (2) remaining ceiling speakers for rear surround but doing so would require a 2nd Sonos Amp*. However, the biggest factor is the positioning of the ceiling speakers…meaning they may not be placed properly for effective DD5.1 sound. Voice sync may pose a problem as well coming from overhead.

The cost-effective way to use the in ceiling speakers for HT
Purchase a 3rd party surround AVR. You would then repurpose your Sonos in various ways (either as a complete HT setup in another room; or broken apart for use in other rooms). Note: Voice sync may still be an issue🤔

The alternative...
The other alternative is to keep the current Sonos setup in tack. You could purchase a Sonos Amp or 3rd party AVR to drive the four (4) in-ceiling speakers for music. *

* The less expensive (although discontinued) Connect: Amp can still be found on eBay or just search the internet as an alternative to the Sonos Amp. Also it has the benefit of being grouped with other Sonos which a 3rd party AVR does not offer natively.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Thank you for the thoughtful response!
Userlevel 7
Hi tonysdca

I checked your profile and saw that you have a Sonos Connect. The Connect could be integrated with a 3rd party AVR to allow Grouping the in-ceiling speakers connected to it with other Sonos 😉

Cheers!