Question

Wired House Amplification

• 5 June 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
We live in a historic home that was fully renovated around 2000. This included installation of several (8) sets of hardwired speakers and volume controls, but the head end was never installed - nothing but a bunch of wires coming out of the wall in what should have been the media closet. When I built a new attached office I plunged into the SonoS biosphere, never to look back again. I bought a Play:5 for the office and shortly thereafter purchased a Connect:Amp to hook up a couple of the wired speakers. Worked great. I just added a second amp for a pair of outdoor speakers. No problem. However, I really don't want to have a two-foot tall stack of amps to power the remaining speakers.
My questions are these:
How many 8 ohm speakers can I safely connect to a single amp? (Individual room program control isn't an issue and given the local volume controls, neither is balance.)
How much persuasion would be required to get SonoS to build a true multi-channel amplifier? Four stereo pairs would be great. Just a suggestion.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/connecting-speakers-to-a-connect%3Aamp should answer your first question.

The second one I'd have to guess it would be a huge amount, perhaps up to purchasing the company. I can't imagine that they'd sell enough of them to commit to making a manufacturing line to make them.
If as stated, individual room control is not an issue, then a solution already exists. Just use a Connect with any brand multi-zone amp you like and you can expand to any number of wired speakers. Why reinvent something that is basically already available?

How much persuasion would be required to get SonoS to build a true multi-channel amplifier? Four stereo pairs would be great. Just a suggestion.

Sonos has done more; get enough appropriate pairs of play units and also get better sound quality by virtue of it coming to your ears in the normal way - horizontally - now that the one place where Sonos does not have its speaker solution for out of doors has already been addressed by you.
Or, if you must have speakers remain completely invisible, do what Mike suggests.