Answered

Will the new AMP work wirelessly with my other components if its situated in a loft?

I have current set up using Playbar and some Play1's.

I'm looking to include 2 x BOSE ceiling speakers (left by previous owner of house) and a CD player by using the AMP.

Would I be able to set it up in the loft so it connects to the speakers easily and then work with my other components wirelessly?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 5 June 2019, 18:34

The short answer is yes. You'd set the amp up as another room in your system, and can then group it with your other room or play separate audio. Both rooms would be able to play audio from the CD player. 'work with' is a pretty generic term, so you'd have to be more specific to confirm the features your expecting would be delivered by adding an Amp.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The short answer is yes. You'd set the amp up as another room in your system, and can then group it with your other room or play separate audio. Both rooms would be able to play audio from the CD player. 'work with' is a pretty generic term, so you'd have to be more specific to confirm the features your expecting would be delivered by adding an Amp.
How do you plan on connecting the CD player? Is there enough 5Ghz signal to reach between the PLAYBAR and the Sonos Amp? I’d be concerned about both distance and material absorption between the two spaces.

I would be more tempted to rewire the speakers so they terminate closer to where the TV is, and put the Amp there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@Airgetlam, the Amp would have to be a separate room, not used for surround speakers. If used for surrounds, the input on the amp would be disabled. Therefore, it's going to be 2.4Ghz, not 5.

And I'm assuming the play:1s are already used for surround.
Ah, it wasn't clear. When someone discusses built in speakers with conjunction of a PLAYBAR, my mind jumps to the "and the built ins will be surrounds".

It's a toss up as to which of our interpretations is correct, but that's why I asked about how the OP was intending to connect the CD player. If it was pushing the built ins as surrounds, the input wouldn't, as you say, be available.

We'll have to see what they say. More information would be helpful 🙂