Answered

Will Amplifier control Play:3?

• 21 January 2020
  • 12 replies

I have a Sonos Bridge which connects with my Play:3 speakers. I recently purchased a Sonos Amplifier to connect with my stereo receiver and in-ceiling speakers. I just received notice that the Bridge will no longer be supported. Can I use the amplifier now the control my Play:3 speakers?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 21 January 2020, 21:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I have a Sonos Bridge which connects with my Play:3 speakers. I recently purchased a Sonos Amplifier to connect with my stereo receiver and in-ceiling speakers. I just received notice that the Bridge will no longer be supported. Can I use the amplifier now the control my Play:3 speakers?

You have 3 choices: 

1. Wire one of your other Sonos units to where the Bridge is now.
  2. Purchase a Boost to replace the Bridge.
  3. Switch to Wireless Setup.
Userlevel 7

Hi alan716

The Sonos Bridge never controlled your Play 3 speakers. The bridge only created the SonosNet to replace your home Wi-Fi signal. The SonosNet can be created by a Sonos speaker wired to your router including the Play 3. 

However, if placement is an issue (meaning it would be inconvenient to wire the Play 3) you can purchase the Sonos Boost module ($99-USD) to replace the bridge. 

Regarding this comment of yours...I recently purchased a Sonos Amplifier to connect with my stereo receiver and in-ceiling speakers.

1. If you were trying to integrate a receiver with say a TT that is connected to it you would not need a Sonos Amp. A Sonos Port would be the go to product.
  2. If you are trying to drive in ceiling speakers then you would need a Sonos Amp.

If I have missed something please clarify. Cheers!

thanks

excellent response, One last question, it’s not convenient to connect either PLAY:3 to the router but  I can connect the AMP to my router - will it create SonosNet?

Yes, any Sonos device except the Move, when connected to your router with an Ethernet cable should create the SonosNet mesh. 

great, thanks. Ill try it

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes, wiring any Sonos primary device will work. 

Userlevel 7

@Alan716

Excellent answers by my fellow community members.  Just one more point although it probably does not apply to your current situation. 

In a Sonos home theater setup it is not recommended to wire the sub or surrounds to create the SonosNet. In that situation you would wire the Beam, Playbar, Playbase or Sonos Amp as those components control the sub and surrounds. 

Is there a better way to say that? Any Sonos speaker except the Move, a SUB, or speakers set up as surrounds? What’s the best way of getting that thought across?

Userlevel 7

@Airgetlam 

I don’t think there is a better way to identify the Move and certain Sonos speakers when used in a HT setup that should be omitted as wired options to establish the SonosNet. Heck… it took me several minutes to formulate that long run-on sentence response. Not that I’m a whiz at writing anything.

Yea. I know what it is in my mind, it’s hard to write it in an English sentence. Was hoping you had something nifty all ready to use. 

Userlevel 7

The following is as nifty as it gets for me. If you can tweak it be my guest. Cheers!

The Sonos Move cannot be wired to create the SonosNet. Likewise in a Sonos home theater (HT) setup neither can the sub nor speakers used as surrounds be wired. In a Sonos HT only the Beam, Playbar, Playbase or Sonos Amp may be used to create the SonosNet.