Question

Will a Sonos Boost help reduce sound dropouts

• 10 December 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Through the daytime I like to listen to Sky News through My Sonos system all around my house. I generate the sound source from my Samsung TV through a Sonos Connect to my Sonos Speakers at certain times of the day mostly between 7.00am and 9.00 am. I have been advised that a Sonos Boost will improve my WiFi signal throughout the house and eliminate dropouts is this correct.

Cheers

RoyP

9 replies

Userlevel 7

@RoyP

Thanks for the explanation. As it appears the source of your problem could be anyone of the devices being used. (i.e. TV, Connect, Hi-Fi, Play 1). 

As you have a Play 1 connected via Ethernet you are using the Sonos Net. The Boost may provide a stronger signal as the antennae are better than those in the Play:1 and are omni-directional.  Follow the steps in the link to add your Boost module.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3458#boost

Note: Treat the Play:1 as if it were a Bridge in the instructions. After the Boost is running the SonosNet you can wire as many speakers as you like to your router just to strength the it; but hopefully that won’t be necessary.

If your issue is resolved by adding the Boost then no worries. If not here are other areas to consider.

1. Replace the cables between the Connect and the TV
  2. Make sure the connection points (ports) are free of dust
  3. Check your routers Admin page for updates and install if available. 
  4. If your router is over 6 years old (as internal components do burn out) and/or does not support the 802.11AC Wi-Fi standard; consider replacing it. 
  5. Possible Faulty Sonos Connect: Try replacing it with the Sonos Port. You can purchase from Sonos and have 30 days to test and return within 45 days if no improvement.

I hope you are able to get your Sonos to a full state of enjoyment. Cheers!

Badge

Maybe I didn't explain it properly, my Soundbar is connected to the Samsung TV in the lounge and we only use this TV in the evenings. The dining room Samsung is on all day usually with the news or a music channel, this is the Samsung which uses the Connect to deliver the sound from the TV to my Sonos Speakers all over the house and this is the setup that gets the sound dropouts, I am not very technical and have probably not got things setup in the best configuration.

Cheers

Roy

Userlevel 7

@RoyP 

Maybe l’m missing something. However, I assume your Playbar is connected to your Samsung TV. That said I fail to see the need for a Connect being used with your TV. The Playbar can be grouped to any Sonos speaker including the Connect connected to your AVR. Although you may not reduce the lag in TV audio sent to other Sonos you will eliminate a hop between the Connect and other Sonos.

Badge

One of the Connects takes the sound output from the earphone socket on my Samsung TV so I can listen to Sky News all round the house on my Sonos system. The other Sonos Connect connects the sound output from my HI FI system CD player, tuner etc and distributes that sound all around my house. It has all worked for years depending on which Sound source I want to use at the time. dropouts only seem to occur when using the TV sound. With all other sound sources Spotify etc everything seems OK.

Cheers

Roy

Badge

Thanks for your help buddy, I have ordered the Boost so will give it a try. Do you have any advice re which tablet is best to use as a Sonos controller, I have been using 2 generations of Fire HD but the second one a Fire HD8 has now gone unsupported as did the first, not sure what to try next.

Cheers

Roy

Userlevel 7

Hi RoyP

The dropouts mainly occur when I am playing sound from my Samsung TV through a Sonos connect to all the speakers or different groups of speakers.

Can you elaborate more on how you are using the two Sonos Connects?

You are correct that I am sceptical about the likely benefit of adding a Boost when you already have one device wired, in these circumstances.  However, it’s not impossible.  If you buy a Boost then I suggest buying it from Sonos (as they suggested it would help) because that gives you a long period to test it and return it if it makes no difference.  Maybe give it a couple of weeks before you order and see how it goes?

Badge

Thank you JohnB. My current setup has one Sonos Play One linked directly to my router with an ethernet cable, Sonos advised me to do this some time ago to eliminate sound dropouts, however I have started experiencing dropouts again although they are infrequent. Sonos Tech support talked me through changing the network sonos net channel from 1 to 11, this seems to have sorted things out for now. They advised me a more permanent solution would be installing a Sonos Boost as it will provide me with a clearer Sonos Wifi network, my system has the following devices attached;

2 Sonos Connects

2 Sonos Play 3s

3 Sonos Play 1s

1 Sonos Soundbar

soon to be added 1 Sonos Boost.

The dropouts mainly occur when I am playing sound from my Samsung TV through a Sonos connect to all the speakers or different groups of speakers.

It appears you don't think the boost will help matters as I have already connected one device to my router.

I am not technical enough to know how Sonos Net channel works. 

Cheers Roy 

Hi. The Boost has no effect on your WiFi signal.  Wiring a Boost to your router triggers SonosNet, which might prove more robust than your WiFi.  If any of your devices is already wired to your router then a Boost is unlikely to help.

You can do an imperfect test of whether it may help by connecting one of your speakers by Ethernet to your router (assuming there isn’t a wired device already).