Answered

Will a Connect let me do this?

• 24 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi, so I'm looking for a way to wirelessly send audio, in this case CD, tuner and phono, from my old Kenwood receiver to wireless speaker(s) in my kitchen. I want to be able to play the same music out of the speakers connected to the current receiver at the same time.
Is this possible with the Connect? If no, what would you reco to make this happen? I've tried the Denon HEOS an Onkyo NR575 to pull this off and neither works in one way or another
icon

Best answer by Chris 24 October 2018, 15:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
If your kenwood has an Audio Out or headphone connection you can connect that to the input of a Sonos Connect, and you will be able to stream that to other wireless Sonos speakers. However, your own receiver with speakers and the Sonos part probably will never be in sync due to buffer delay on Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Being its an older receiver it most likely has TAPE IN/OUT. That is the perfect place to connect the CONNECT.

Use Tape Out to the connect and then the connect will send whatever is playing on the receiver to any other Sonos speaker in the house.

You can use Tape In to be able to play Sonos music from your Sonos app on the receiver itself and its attached speakers (in combination with Sonos speakers around the house).

Essentially a Sonos Connect makes your receiver completely a Sonos unit.

As far as sync goes when playing Sonos music you should be good - depends on the receiver. If really older and doesn't have all the DSP / Surround processing it probably plays fairly direct and will be in sync with other Sonos speakers. If a little new and has DSP functions etc. hopefully it has a Direct Mode that bypasses all that circuitry in the receiver to keep the sound across the receiver and other Sonos units in house in sync.

But - if play music from source on receiver and Sonos speakers in house then the sonos speakers will have a 70ms delay and be slightly behind your receiver - in this case a dsp mode on receiver delaying its output would be good. As long as not right in same room it won't have to much of a stadium effect.
Thanks, everyone.
Yes, it has TAPE REC connectors, which I assume are outs. Any tips on how to test to see if this works? I don't have another amp/receiver to send out to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea the tape rec are the outs. Hook those to connect and all sound from that receiver can be routed to any Sonos speaker.

Hooking the output of the connect to tape play and you can play Sonos music on your receiver and even control volume. Essentially turns your receiver into a connect:amp. These older receiver actually work better with Sonos than thr newer fancier ones.

You will find yourself using cd etc less and less.
@Monkeyman, what speakers are you connecting to the receiver? Since you didn't mention TV, I'm assuming just stereo speakers...2 speakers. If that's the case, you might want to consider getting a connect:amp or the new Sonos amp instead of a Connect. Both of these products can power your existing speakers and wireless connect to whatever sonos speakers you want to put in the kitchen without any delay regardless of music source. Because Sonos can get most radio stations through the internet, you won't have much need for a tuner. The amps do have only one input, so you'd need to share between your CD player and phono, but as Chris pointed out, you'll likely use this less and less in favor of streaming audio.

As a bonus...
- You'd get airplay 2 compatibility
- The amps are physically smaller than your receiver.
- There's no concern about your receiver failing due to age.
Badge
Hi all. New Sonos user. I have similar set up. I have been successful to attach Connect to Yamaha amp htr-5835 so that I can play from Sonos Controller thru amp to hard wired speakers (thx to Sonos support and friends) and have volume grouped. That works fine. BUT I still can’t get phono,dvd,tv,karaoke to play out thru Sonos Connect from Yamaha. I don’t have TAPE. I have vcr and cd mr in/outs. Either work to take in Sonos signal in to the Yamaha but I can’t figure ou how to do the reverse to Connect. Thoughts? I have looked at Yamaha manual about reassignment of ports but is that necessary? I have never tried to do that. Is it because line out signals from Yamaha is to low? How do I increase that signal strength? Thx in advance
Badge
Hi all. New Sonos user. I have similar set up. I have been successful to attach Connect to Yamaha amp htr-5835 so that I can play from Sonos Controller thru amp to hard wired speakers (thx to Sonos support and friends) and have volume grouped. That works fine. BUT I still can’t get phono,dvd,tv,karaoke to play out thru Sonos Connect from Yamaha. I don’t have TAPE. I have vcr and cd mr in/outs. Either work to take in Sonos signal in to the Yamaha but I can’t figure ou how to do the reverse to Connect. Thoughts? I have looked at Yamaha manual about reassignment of ports but is that necessary? I have never tried to do that. Is it because line out signals from Yamaha is to low? How do I increase that signal strength? Thx in advanceHi all. New Sonos user. I have similar set up. I have been successful to attach Connect to Yamaha amp htr-5835 so that I can play from Sonos Controller thru amp to hard wired speakers (thx to Sonos support and friends) and have volume grouped. That works fine. BUT I still can’t get phono,dvd,tv,karaoke to play out thru Sonos Connect from Yamaha. I don’t have TAPE. I have vcr and cd mr in/outs. Either work to take in Sonos signal in to the Yamaha but I can’t figure ou how to do the reverse to Connect. Thoughts? I have looked at Yamaha manual about reassignment of ports but is that necessary? I have never tried to do that. Is it because line out signals from Yamaha is to low? How do I increase that signal strength? Thx in advance