Question

Will 2 play 5's Work with playbar? Or did I make a mistake?

• 12 February 2013
  • 58 replies

Badge
I just bought into the Sonos Experience on New Years. The sales rep. said their was rumor of the playbar..which led to my decision to buy (2) play 5's, in hopes that in the near future I could also use them for Hometheater experience. What I have read thus far concerns me. No mention of Play 5 combined with Playbar.?? Will they work, or did I make a mistake....??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Just arrived at this thread Oct 2016. Thanks for clarifying about the next generation of Play:5s! Your presumption was correct!
My post was not to educate the knowledgable .. My search for sonos playbar play 5 led to 3 such posts (1 year - 2 year) and both posts not concluding that the the latest play 5 infact works (unlike gen1 play5) - and my update was for the benefit of such people arriving from search engine.

(I'd have expected mods here to have closed this thread if it was expected none of us to update with the latest on this question "Will 2 play 5's Work with playbar?")
sonos 5 (gen2) works fine with playbar
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2938/

Yeah we know but this is a two year old thread...
sonos 5 (gen2) works fine with playbar
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2938/
i was able to make this work..... although you cannot pair the play 5's w the playbar, you can still use them when watching tv by grouping them together. I have a setup with playbar, sub, and 2 play 3 surrounds, and I then add the play 5's in "stereo" to the mix while watching tv..... i was able to eliminate the audio echo tw the playbar and play 5's by manipulating the lip sych setting within the playbar advanced audio. works fine, all synched up and awesome! For SURROUND purposes, the play 3's with the sub and the playbar are more than adequate for my room - 20' x 20'. The play 5's just give another kick to the mix

Hi did you just connect them together or need a brigde? I looking for the same set up
No 5.1 is the max. I mean you could add other stereo speakers but that is all they would be stereo speakers.
Jgatie, LG does have a wireless sound system it's called the LAS851M I returned it to try out the Sonos play bar and sub but I'm disappointed in the fact that it lacks HDMI in put but overal sound quality it's great
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
No 5.1 is the max. I mean you could add other stereo speakers but that is all they would be stereo speakers.
If you are looking into 9.1 or 12.2, wireless may not be the preferred option, even it has the capabilities. While audio streaming might be manageable, HD and 4K video content will push most home appliances to the edge with subsequent dropout potential.
...and Bose sounds awful....great at marketing, rubbish at speakers.  A purely personal, biased opinion, I admit. 
Bose and LG's offerings are not wireless, and they are not part of a multi-room audio system that allows for perfectly synchronized audio in up to 32 units all around the home.
Then what's so special about Snos's home theater compared to Bose?!!!... even the LG guys have a 9.1 surround home theater that's a blast with 25% the cost of Sonos. I am sincier in my question and i really hope to receive an answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How many surround speakers can you add.... Can a 12.2 home theater system be created with Sonos components ???... i.e (Sound bar, 2 subs + 7 surround speakers)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I personally think the Connect:Amp, Connect, and Play:5 are getting a little long in the tooth and wouldn't be surprised to see updated versions.... in next few years.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
If anybody wants to modd the Play5, the public FCC records for Sono's components can be found here http://fccid.net/search.php?cx=partner-pub-0545639743190253%3A4869533996&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=U...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Despite the technical incompatibility, a pair of Play5 as surround speakers would be an overkill.

I don't disagree Peng!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I read somewhere else that the issue is because the play 5 is old and doesn't have 5GHz wireless... If this is the case, when doesn sonos plan to update the current play 5's to meet the requirement and if my speakers were all wired (ethernet connected), this should cancel the need for the faster wireless? I was just looking to buy a second play 5 but looking at these threads really makes me unsure if I want to invest in a product that is already outdated... I'd probably get the play 3 or 1 just to find out that the next feature they release isn't compatible. 
@Smoki666

One of my setups consists of a Playbar and a grouped stereo pair of Play5 
(i don't care much for surround sound). The Play5s add the depth and base to make this all around a great listening experience.

In this setup, i do not experience sync issues whatsoever. Dropouts and distortion are usually caused from WiFi interference, routing issues, and daisy chained components that utilize the inbuilt switch in the Sonos components and add network traffic to the SonosNet.

Might be worth to submit diagnostics immediately after you experience the sync issue and to contact Sonos. Their great support team can help you to sort this out.
Despite the technical incompatibility, a pair of Play5 as surround speakers would be an overkill.

sound right, but if has the possibilities, then that would be more flexible, isn't it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
OK, I'm tracking this conversation somewhat. I have a Play 5 and Sub - they work exceptionally well. Just deciding to get a Playbar. I'm not so concerned about the surround sound effect at this time. You surely can add a Play bar to an existing 5 and Sub set-up, right? And will a bridge on the Playbar solve this?
is here anyone know when SONOS can release a new "play 5" which can connect to playbar for surround sound?
OK, I'm tracking this conversation somewhat. I have a Play 5 and Sub - they work exceptionally well. Just deciding to get a Playbar. I'm not so concerned about the surround sound effect at this time. You surely can add a Play bar to an existing 5 and Sub set-up, right? And will a bridge on the Playbar solve this?
Hi Brian.  You can certainly add a Playbar to a Play:5 and Sub.  The Playbar can be grouped with the Play:5, or played independently, just as any two Sonos speakers.  The Sub can be used with them as you'd expect.  You just can't use the Play:5 as part of a surround sound setup with the Playbar.

John
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I read somewhere else that the issue is because the play 5 is old and doesn't have 5GHz wireless... If this is the case, when doesn sonos plan to update the current play 5's to meet the requirement and if my speakers were all wired (ethernet connected), this should cancel the need for the faster wireless? I was just looking to buy a second play 5 but looking at these threads really makes me unsure if I want to invest in a product that is already outdated... I'd probably get the play 3 or 1 just to find out that the next feature they release isn't compatible. 
Is your latest entry from before or after having spoken a Sonos technician?
I've reset my whole system and the Playbar cannot match the volume of the Play 5's with dance music, the Playbar distorts, simple as.. Be warned if you are thinking of purchasing the Playbar for dance music or any loud music. It's a great TV speaker and that's all.
Thank you , I'll call you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi smoki666, that doesn't sound like the PLAYBAR at all, it can get extremely loud. Have you worked with our team live before?

I'd recommend giving us a call so a technician can take a closer look. You might have some settings or trouble with the system we can help with.