Why can't Sonos sell me an extended warranty like this?

• 28 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A longer version of this is stuck in the spam filter.

I was looking on Amazon and they are offering Squaretrade service plans (extended warranties) for a very good price and I wondered why Sonos can't offer the same plans when you buy a device directly from Sonos instead of having to go through Amazon?

Play 5 -- 4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($450-500) -- $17.70

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not interested in arguing about the value of purchasing an extended warranty or who to purchase one from. My only question is to Sonos and it is why I have to buy my next Sonos device from Amazon instead direct from Sonos to get one.

It just aggravates me to have to buy from Amazon and cut into the Sonos folks profit margin.

I'd have bought the plan Amazon is selling direct from Squaretrade but I sure couldn't find it on their website and I'm not sure I could get it from Amazon without buying the Play 5 there too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As someone who works in retail, I know there are plenty of people that are skeptical of or don't care about extended warranties. But I also get plenty of stories that go in their favor. The retailer that I work for happens to extend manufacturer warranties on TVs and computers for an additional year, but even still, I've had plenty of people tell me that "two months after the warranty expired, the TV started getting lines on the screen" or something similar.

Different plans for different devices... like Stuart says, they're more like an insurance policy... you buy it so that if something does go wrong, you don't have to pay for the repair or spend the money to buy a new device. Yes, electronic devices have a failure rate... some fail sooner than others, though most will last a long time if taken care of. Are they worth it? I would say it depends on the device, how you plan to use it, and your tolerance for having to purchase a replacement if it happens to fail before you were prepared to buy a new device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If Sonos sell or promote a particular insurance over another then call me a cynic but they aren't necessarily doing that because THAT insurer offers the best policy for ME.

Basically I trust Sonos to design and make excellent music systems.

I don't trust them to make financial decisions on my behalf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stuart, I'm confused by your reply.

I thought Squaretrade was a "non-manufacturer service policy provider" and offers a variety of plans that you can pick from to meet your needs.

I'm just curious why I have to buy from Amazon instead of from Sonos to get the plan from Squaretrade.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't generally touch a manufacturers or retailers extended warranty with a barge pole.

Basically it's an insurance policy. If you are concerned enough about it I'm sure there are plenty of policies available that you can select and tailor for your own requirements