Question

Whole home audio for 5 pairs with one Sonos Amp?

• 30 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am looking to complete an install that was started a while back.

I have 5 zones (5 pairs) of speakers with volume controls already installed. 

3 zones have a pair Proficient C621 ceiling mounted speakers with PVC2 volume controls on each pair.

1 zone has Proficent AW650’s and a PVC2 volume control. These are outdoors.

1 zone has a Proficient C635 TT dual voice coil with a volume control.

All of these pairs home run back to a central location and are hooked up to a Niles SS-6

My intent is to have the Niles SS6-6 on and all zones turned on at all times and use the volume controls to control volume and just turn all the way to zero when music in that room is not needed. the SS-6 is strictly used for the impedence protection at this point.

I have a Sonos Connect but I do not have a amplifier currently. Since the Sonos Connect is discontinued product my thought was to sell it and purchase a Sonos Amp and feed that into the speaker selector to power my speakers. This would reduce the amount of components in the cabinet and simplify the system.

Am I on the right track and would the Sonos be able to power all my pairs of speakers? Or should I keep the Connect and ditch the speaker selector and purchase a multi channel amp instead and use the VC’s for impedance matching. I am looking for a simplified and cost effective option to have whole home audio from one source. 

Thanks for your input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Jake D,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern.

I would like to share with you the Sonos amp features, limitations, and guidelines. The Sonos Amp is a versatile amplifier for powering all your entertainment. It works with traditional 8-ohm bookshelf speakers as well as pairs of 6 or 4-ohm speakers. You can add 4 speakers with the Sonos Amp.  Make sure the impedance rating of your speakers is 8 ohms. Any other impedance rating may cause the Amp to fault. We do not recommend wiring your speakers in series as it will result in poor sound quality. 

Sonos Amp is only able to play one source of music at a time, you can control it using the Sonos Amp. If you really want to control them individually or per set, you’d need to do it directly to the speakers themselves because Sonos does not have access to it and we can only control the Sonos products in the app. Using a speaker selector switch is not recommended for it may or may not work with Sonos. Let’s see what Community members have any experience with this product with their Sonos they might share their inputs about it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.