Who uses a BOOST in their setup?

• 5 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I was just wondering, as I have had to add one due to various speakers dropping out or not responding. We don't have a large house, and I'm not sure how I would find out if our wifi was being overwhelmed with other traffic.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I use a Boost since 2014, Sonos with a Bridge since 2011.
Since adding Boost in place of Bridge and reserving IP addresses in the router, my uptime of a 5 zone system is close to 100% now. Through every update. Since you have added one, it will address the issue of the Wifi being overloaded by things like video streaming.
What it will not address completely are problems from interference and IP address conflicts; the latter, in any way. Those need IP reservation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can get to the network matrix from your web browser, replace sonos with your name or address.

http://sonos:1400/support/review

Click the Network Matrix link.

Userlevel 7
I use a Boost but not because of weak Wi-Fi or interference. I use one because with it I don't have to have a speaker wired to my router. So for me it's more about versatility. Just curious...did you submit a diagnostic to Sonos before you introduced the Boost to get their opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A quick start would be to download a WiFi signal monitor to your tablet or phone and get a look at the signals around you that are broadcasting an SSID. If you see that your sonos is on a busy channel switch it to another, usually 1, 6 or 11 are the best options.

A bit more detailed you can look at your sonos network matrix (much discussion of how and what it means here) to get a better idea of what your system is seeing (to include no SSID signals) and where any possible signal strength issues lie.

A diagnostic to Sonos is always a good option, they can see a lot of details that are complicated to explain here and make suggestions that will make your system more reliable.

I added a boost when I probably didn't need to because I could do that with minimal effort. I had more time later and got a lot better idea of how my system works but I still like the boost.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I use a Boost but not because of weak Wi-Fi or interference. I use one because with it I don't have to have a speaker wired to my router. So for me it's more about versatility. Just curious...did you submit a diagnostic to Sonos before you introduced the Boost to get their opinion.

I did submit a diagnostic, and had quite a long message chat with Sonos. I added it due to the drop outs I mentioned but also because where the router is situated, I don't want to place a speaker just to hard wire it. I suppose it makes sense to have a Boost in the system, but just adds more cost to the setup, when the Sonos web site implies you don't need it. But i guess practicality rules the day.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
A quick start would be to download a WiFi signal monitor to your tablet or phone and get a look at the signals around you that are broadcasting an SSID. If you see that your sonos is on a busy channel switch it to another, usually 1, 6 or 11 are the best options.

A bit more detailed you can look at your sonos network matrix (much discussion of how and what it means here) to get a better idea of what your system is seeing (to include no SSID signals) and where any possible signal strength issues lie.

I don't see a link here for the network matrix or am I missing something?

A diagnostic to Sonos is always a good option, they can see a lot of details that are complicated to explain here and make suggestions that will make your system more reliable.

I added a boost when I probably didn't need to because I could do that with minimal effort. I had more time later and got a lot better idea of how my system works but I still like the boost.
I use a boost because my router is on the other side of the room to where I really wanted to place my speakers for better listening. It saves me running a cable across to the other side of the room whilst allowing the speakers to all run on their own SonosNet. I also found, via the Sonos matrix-grid, that I get better connections to all my devices using STP, rather than using my routers WiFi.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thank you Stanley_4
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Having discovered the Network Matrix, I've actually removed the Boost from my setup. My Connect is wired to the router instead and the Boost was not doing anything.