Who pre-ordered the new Sonos AMP and what are your plans for it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm a little surprised pre-orders opened up and nobody is taking about it 🙂 Delivery by Dec 3rd according to Sonos which is awesome.
I'm currently using a Beam and two Sonos Ones for rears and two stereo HomePods for music in the living room and bedroom as well as smart speakers for Homekit etc.
I was planning on buying a Sonos sub tomorrow since they will be on sale for $599. I'm not sure if I will do that now since I am getting the Amp so soon and can use any sub so there seems to be little advantage to the Sonos sub.
The Elacs are on sale right now so I could get tower speakers and sub from them for $669 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4WFWZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL7XWBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I will continue to use the Sonos Ones as rears.
Any thoughts on any of that? Any advantage to buying a Sonos sub for the app? I can't think of one.
What are other peoples plans for the Amp?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have 3 Sonos Amps now.

1 - replaced a Connect:Amp previously in my bar area that I am going to use to power some additional speakers at my vacation home. I think the Sonos Amp has a little more warmth to the sound and I fits better with the high end speakers I have in the bar.

2 - replaced a Connect hooked to receiver at my main living room TV. Moving the connect/receiver setup to my vacation home.

3- replaced the Zone 2 I was running off that same receiver to my outside speakers … now making them their own zone

All done added one additional zone to my primary house and 2 additional zones to my vacation home.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@SOCalistic

Great that you received your Amp! 🆒 Now we need pictures :8

Enjoy!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It's all thrown together right now but I will be moving things around.
Sony 55" X930E
Sanus TV stand.
Elac speakers I bought for $150 Black Friday deal. I'm looking at Kef LS 50 in matte black, Bucharest S300's, or maybe tower speakers to replace them. The Elacs sounds great but I just grabbed them for temporary since they were half off.
Sonos Sub.
All content is through Apple TV 4K which I am very happy with. Haven't had cable TV in years and don't want or need it.
I have no use for the Beam any more. I bought it for $319 no tax and free shipping from AAFES.
Rear black Sonos Ones on Flexson stands which I have not connected to the AMP yet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have 3 Sonos Amps now.

You win 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Anyone replacing a Connect:Amp with an Amp? Is the difference significant? I have a ZP100 driving Yamaha outdoor speakers in my deck/pool area, not sure if it's worth replacing it or not. Frankly, as the ZP100 has line level outs, I could probably find a generic 100W/channel amp and put it in line for much less.
Userlevel 7
I have 3 Sonos Amps now.

You win :-)

I’ve got 2 Sonos Amp’s...and 4 more on the way! If you believe that I’ve got some prime swamp land complete with alligators, snakes and other poisonous wildlife that I’d like to sell you :8 LOL
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Is your turntable connected to the AMP?
I'm thinking of doing that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes I replaced one of my Connect:Amps with a Sonos Amp.

With good speakers the Sonos Amp is a noticable improvement. Much warmer sound. In the past I had never been able to get the room with my Connect:Amp to sound exactly the way I wanted. I have changed out speakers, tweaked with the sub settings etc. and just never had that nice good sound I wanted.

With the new Sonos Amp replacing - it is sounding now like I want it.

So it definately is an improvement. I think just from the watts per channel it is pushing the speakers much better. I am using B&W DM601's now (which are on the smaller side of their bookshelf line). The Connect:Amp didn't do them justice at all. If you have really small bookshelf speakers though you may not notice the difference so much. I had some smaller polks in that room in the past and I don't know with them if I would have seen as big a difference between the Connect:Amp vs. Sonos Amp. I think its all about the sweet spot on the speakers when it comes to watts per channel and the higher watts per channel does much better in my specific combination.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's a good question on run a separate power amp off the line outs vs. replacing with a Sonos Amp.

Personally - I would be a little timid in investing more money into an older One heck of a great device but what happens when it dies (be buying a connect then I assume to replace).

The ZP100 also is starting to show its age in not having Airplay compatibility and who know what limits down the road.

If your happy with what it sounds like now I would ride it out … but if you want more power driven to speakers …. I would probably get a Sonos Amp and move the ZP100 to another room/application.

I am certainly not retiring my Connect:Amp just moving it to another less critical listening of an application.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here photos Sonos Amp beside connect:amp it replaced. The Sonos Amp feels a lot less bulky. Its flatter (not nearly as tall) but deeper.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
It's running my outdoor speakers, on a patio area, so critical listening is definitely not in the cards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Other than probably some additional volume to the speakers - I don't think outside your going to notice anything from a sound quality perspective.
Userlevel 7
Is your turntable connected to the AMP?
I'm thinking of doing that.

It will be when my 2nd Sonos Amp arrives (supposedly Monday). The TT is in my media room down stairs. Can’t wait...but I guess I’ll to. :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Other than probably some additional volume to the speakers - I don't think outside your going to notice anything from a sound quality perspective.

Yeah. The speakers are 40W RMS, 130W max, I can think of a lot better places in my audio budget for $600
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Further playing in my smaller bar room it is night and day difference connect:amp to Sonos Amp.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

There must be a better dac in there and also more power equals a fuller richer sound in my experience not just more volume.
That's why this product existed.
https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified
I'm sure the new AMP just killed the market for this item though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A richer sound for sure. The dacs have always been decent. But your taking 2011 tech to 2018.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
One of the reviews says it’s the most flexible product Sonos has made. Pretty fun 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I connected the Sonos One rears today and moved things around a little. Sounds great for home theater and music which is just what I wanted but wasn't quite getting with the Beam, Sub, and rear One's.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

[/b]Go ahead and bond the rears to the Sonos Amp. When listening to music all you need do is go into the Sonos app under room settings for the Sonos Amp and do one of two things:
Option 1. Place the rears on ambient for music (although you will still get a phantom sound)
Option 2. Do Option 1 and lower the volume level (push all the way to the left when listening to music)
Option 2 has the advantage of always keeping the rears at the ready for movies 🙂 (i.e. eliminates the vicious cycle of bonding for movies, un-bonding for music and re-bonding for movies and so on and so on…whew :P)

Thanks, that works pretty well. Still not quite what I want but it's the closest i can get.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned it but you can turn off the rears within the app and I don't mind manually going to 2.0 on the Apple TV. This solves my issue of having stereo sounds form the AMP for music. I only turn on the surrounds now when listening to a 5.1 movie.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
This is my setup for now.
Elac B6 2.0 which I will replace with some tower speakers when I figure out what I want.
Sony X930E 55 inch TV.
Sanus TV stand which I really like.
https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/furniture/afv48/
Sonos AMP in the center
Apple TV 4K which is my source for all content, no cable.The app recommended putting the sub in this location. It also asked me how far the rears are from my sitting position.
That's useful since one is closer to me than the other.
Userlevel 7
Cool 🆒
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yeah I'm feeling pretty satisfied.
Userlevel 7
I finally got my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Sonos Edition (Black) and 2nd Sonos Amp up and running. Now my vinyl collection is back in full swing.🆒 If you are considering doing the same; but not using 3rd party speakers, you'll want to setup the Sonos Amp as follow:

1. Set up Sonos Amp named as a room (I chose Sonos Amp as It's already in a room).
2. Connect your turntable to Sonos Amp RCA Line-in
3. Under room settings for the Sonos Amp go to: Advanced Audio > Line in Source Name and select "Turntable"
4. At Line-in Source Level select "Level 10"
5. At Autoplay Room select a room with a Sonos speaker or stereo pair (I chose Family Room)
6. Turn-on "Use Autoplay Volume" and set level at no more than 25% to right_ so as not to blow your speakers when Turntable starts
7. Click "Done"
8. Place your vinyl on your turntable and enjoy:)
9. In the Sonos App select the room in Step 5 to control Level/Pause/Play/Stop

Note: The level/Pause/Play controls on Sonos Amp will not work in this configuration

I've included pictures of my setup. The Play 5's are the "Autoplay" speakers with white sub. The Playbar and black sub are dedicated to HT with Play 3 surrounds (not shown).

Cheers!