Who pre-ordered the new Sonos AMP and what are your plans for it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm a little surprised pre-orders opened up and nobody is taking about it 🙂 Delivery by Dec 3rd according to Sonos which is awesome.
I'm currently using a Beam and two Sonos Ones for rears and two stereo HomePods for music in the living room and bedroom as well as smart speakers for Homekit etc.
I was planning on buying a Sonos sub tomorrow since they will be on sale for $599. I'm not sure if I will do that now since I am getting the Amp so soon and can use any sub so there seems to be little advantage to the Sonos sub.
The Elacs are on sale right now so I could get tower speakers and sub from them for $669 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4WFWZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL7XWBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I will continue to use the Sonos Ones as rears.
Any thoughts on any of that? Any advantage to buying a Sonos sub for the app? I can't think of one.
What are other peoples plans for the Amp?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Which brings to mind is anyone using it for TV and can comment on the "phantom center"?

I plan on testing it out, but I have a lot of wiring to do in the attic before I can comment. This is going to be an outdoor tv (sort of) with the before mentioned outdoor speakers. Because I won't have the tv and speakers located even close to each other, a center channel will likely not work out too well. Hence part of the reason I'll try out mono.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
CNET's review
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sonos-amp-review/
Didn't care for that review very much. It seemed to be reviewed more from a audiophile, stand alone system point of view, rather then viewing it as a member of a multiroom audio system. The comparisons provided are against AV receivers, no comparison to similar devices in other multiroom systems. I'm more interested in seening how the Sonos Amp compares to Amazon's Link Amp than I am in the comparison to a Yamaha AV receiver. For example, the review mentions stereo outputs only as a flaw, with no mention of the fact that the Amp can be paired with other Sonos products for 5.1 audio (or 4.1).

The author really seems to have issue with default EQ settings and claims a lack of calibration. This is not exactly true as Sonos has said that Trueplay will be available when Sonance speakers are used.

One statement made that is entirely untrue was..
The amp also offers control via Apple AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect and Pandora , and if you pair it with the Sonos One ($179 at Amazon), for example, you can also control it with Amazon Alexa now, or via Google Assistant in 2019.

Several apps where left out, including Amazon and iheart, and there was no mention of control through smart features, like IFTTT. And the second part of the statement implies that for Alexa/Google control, you must have a Sonos One or Beam, which is false. Any alexa enabled device will be just fine, as I'm sure will be the similar case for Google. In fact, since the Amazon music and Alexa apps are free, there is zero cost for control through Alexa.
Badge
Mine just arrived yesterday! It's replacing a NAD D7050 amplifier that was hooked up to the TV in my living room, driving a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. I'm pretty excited about it; I've been looking at replacing the NAD with something more powerful, and I've also wanted to integrate that setup with the rest of my Sonos stuff for a while (but I couldn't stomach the cost of a Connect). All my AV components live inside an old Telefunken hi-fi console, which limits my amplifier choices to very compact and efficient ones. Basically, the Amp perfectly fit my need for a small, two-channel, class-D streaming amplifier with plenty of power and an input for a TV.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to really try it out after setting it up, but so far it seems to sound pretty good. The increased power output over the D7050 (50 wpc) is evident, although not quite as dramatic as I thought it would be. I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a thorough test when I have a bit more time!
So I’ve owned sonos for about a year now and completely love my system. I currently have a playbar, sub and 2 sonos 3 speakers in my living room creating a nice surround sound. I usually have to turn my sub down or my neighbors complain but when they aren’t around I blast that thing and it rocks my whole house. I just received the new sonos amp(came a day early too!), I plan on using it outdoors for my semi enclosed hot tub/bar pavilion. For now I will be using the Bose 151 outdoor speakers. I plan on upgrading to the 251 soon. I also have sonos in my kitchen, bedroom and garage all sonos one speakers, two are in the bedroom to make a nice stereo pair. Me and my wife like to turn it up a bit when we are getting ready to go out for the night.
Userlevel 7
Finally received my Sonos Amp and Pro-Ject Debut TT Sonos Edition. :$

I can definitely say that the Sonos Amp is a winner. It drives my Definitive Technology BP 20's and matching 1500 Sub with aplomb (if you can say that about an inanimate object) :8 Since I'm able to fine tune the sub for frequency crossover point, phase shift and volume level the setup is subjectively perfect (without the aid of TruePlay). The cables I used are Sewell Silverback with Banana Plugs, 12 AWG, OFC, 259 Strand Count and Sewell Direct SW-30455-10 Silverback Subwoofer Cable. Although I don't have equipment to measure the power flow for consistency I expect the Sonos Amp to reach its full potential and operating efficiency after 20-30 hours of use.

I can't comment on the Pro-Ject Debut TT at this time as there was a quality control issue with the Anti-Skating weight. Sonos has ordered a replacment from the manufacturer. I hope it doesen't take 3 -4 weeks or longer to get it. Other than that it is a beautiful looking TT that exudes quality and expert craftmanship.

I've inculded a couple of photos of my Sonos Amp setup and speakers along with the end table size sub (lower right). 😉 The photo's also show the Beam and the pattern it transmits to the HDMI_ARC port. I'd love to see any photos you guys might be willing to share :8

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Mine just arrived yesterday! It's replacing a NAD D7050 amplifier that was hooked up to the TV in my living room, driving a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. I'm pretty excited about it; I've been looking at replacing the NAD with something more powerful, and I've also wanted to integrate that setup with the rest of my Sonos stuff for a while (but I couldn't stomach the cost of a Connect). All my AV components live inside an old Telefunken hi-fi console, which limits my amplifier choices to very compact and efficient ones. Basically, the Amp perfectly fit my need for a small, two-channel, class-D streaming amplifier with plenty of power and an input for a TV.
I haven't had much of an opportunity to really try it out after setting it up, but so far it seems to sound pretty good. The increased power output over the D7050 (50 wpc) is evident, although not quite as dramatic as I thought it would be. I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a thorough test when I have a bit more time!

Very interested in your experience since I am thinking of using the same speakers.
How is the phantom center channel?
Music?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Finally received my Sonos Amp and Pro-Ject Debut TT Sonos Edition. :$

I can definitely say that the Sonos Amp is a winner. It drives my Definitive Technology BP 20's and matching 1500 Sub with aplomb (if you can say that about an inanimate object) :8 Since I'm able to fine tune the sub for frequency crossover point, phase shift and volume level the setup is subjectively perfect (without the aid of TruePlay). The cables I used are Sewell Silverback with Banana Plugs, 12 AWG, OFC, 259 Strand Count and Sewell Direct SW-30455-10 Silverback Subwoofer Cable. Although I don't have equipment to measure the power flow for consistency I expect the Sonos Amp to reach its full potential and operating efficiency after 20-30 hours of use.
I can't comment on the Pro-Ject Debut TT at this time as there was a quality control issue with the Anti-Skating weight. Sonos has ordered a replacement from the manufacturer. I hope it doesn't take 3 -4 weeks or longer to get it. Other than that it is a beautiful looking TT that exudes quality and expert craftsmanship.
I've included a couple of photos of my Sonos Amp setup and speakers along with the end table size sub (lower right). 😉 The photo's also show the Beam and the pattern it transmits to the HDMI_ARC port. I'd love to see any photos you guys might be willing to share :8
Cheers!

Interesting. Why do you still have the Beam?
Userlevel 7

The Beam is part of a Sonos HT setup that is not shown in the picture (Beam/Sub/Sonos One x 2). I wanted to try out the HDMI_ARC feature of the Beam. Also, the Sonos Amp at the time was not scheduled for release until February 2019. However, I doubt that I would have opted for the Sonos Amp to use as part of my HT setup.

I prefer my music closer to what was intended with 2 speakers up front and sub. Therefore, the Sonos Amp was purchased for the tower speakers and large sub you see in the picture. I have a similar setup in my main media room using All Sonos for HT and Play 5 x 2 (up front) with sub for music. That is where the Pro-Ject Debut TT will be used via line in to a Play 5.

Never could quite get with the program/idea of using surrounds set to Full for music with them being positioned behind the listening position. I'm just finicky about using a Sonos HT setup for my music. I might add that I'm blessed to be able to indulge that quirk :8

Cheers!

The Beam is part of a Sonos HT setup that is not shown in the picture (Beam/Sub/Sonos One x 2). I wanted to try out the HDMI_ARC feature of the Beam. Also, the Sonos Amp at the time was not scheduled for release until February 2019. However, I doubt that I would have opted for the Sonos Amp to use as part of my HT setup.

I prefer my music closer to what was intended with 2 speakers up front and sub. Therefore, the Sonos Amp was purchased for the tower speakers and large sub you see in the picture. I have a similar setup in my main media room using All Sonos for HT and Play 5 x 2 (up front) with sub for music. That is where the Pro-Ject Debut TT will be used via line in to a Play 5.

Never could quite get with the program/idea of using surrounds set to Full for music with them being positioned behind the listening position. I'm just finicky about using a Sonos HT setup for my music. I might add that I'm blessed to be able to indulge that quirk :8

Cheers!

Interesting.

I just ordered mine. I plan on using it with a pair of Thiel 1.6s and a powersound sub. I’ve had a traditional home theater setup in this room for years anchored by a 120” screen and projector with the aforementioned speakers and a NHT center and surround speakers. It sounds great but I find myself rarely using it.

I want the integration of the Sonos ecosystem.

So I am going to sacrifice the center channel and NHT rear speakers and go to a 4.1 Sonos powered setup. I will keep my Thiel’s up front and the powersound sub and add a pair of play 1’s in the rear.

I purchased a beam and considered using it with the play 1’s for a 5.1 surround and use the amp for a straight 2 channel setup. I changed my mind and decided to use the beam in the master bedroom with a sub and play 1’s for a nice bedroom theater.

I most confess that the convience and ease of use of Sonos, not to mention the sound quality has led me to ditch my traditional setup. I’m not sure what I will do with my receiver or my 3 channel amp.

I will try to remember to add pictures later
Userlevel 7
Hi Shepdog

That’s great that you are enjoying Sonos and congratulations on getting the Sonos Amp!

However, in reading your post you indicated that you are using a projector. Getting sound from your projector to your current amp is probably straight forward…either HDMI or coaxial out. Or...Maybe you feed the sound from the source straight to your amp and video straight to the projector.

With the Sonos Amp you'll be limited to HDMI_ARC (generally used with a compatible TV) or with the optional optical adapter available through Sonos. If forced to use coaxial or HDMI out from your projector you’ll also have to invest in a Coaxial/HDMI to Optical Converter. The same may be true if you are splitting sound and video from the source component to the projector and Sonos Amp. That means you’ll have a box in between your projector/source component and the Sonos Amp. Point being you may experience a bit of sound degradation to the Sonos Amp caused by the intermediary converter. Maybe?

Now, all I’ve said may be a moot point if you are considering another way to get DD4.1 to the Sonos Amp. Then again your projector/source component may have an HDMI_ARC port…if so…sweet! 😉 I’d be interested to know your solution. Pictures by all means:8

Cheers!
Hi Shepdog

That’s great that you are enjoying Sonos and congratulations on getting the Sonos Amp!

However, in reading your post you indicated that you are using a projector. Getting sound from your projector to your current amp is probably straight forward…either HDMI or coaxial out. Or...Maybe you feed the sound from the source straight to your amp and video straight to the projector.

With the Sonos Amp you'll be limited to HDMI_ARC (generally used with a compatible TV) or with the optional optical adapter available through Sonos. If forced to use coaxial or HDMI out from your projector you’ll also have to invest in a Coaxial/HDMI to Optical Converter. The same may be true if you are splitting sound and video from the source component to the projector and Sonos Amp. That means you’ll have a box in between your projector/source component and the Sonos Amp. Point being you may experience a bit of sound degradation to the Sonos Amp caused by the intermediary converter. Maybe?

Now, all I’ve said may be a moot point if you are considering another way to get DD4.1 to the Sonos Amp. Then again your projector/source component may have an HDMI_ARC port…if so…sweet! 😉 I’d be interested to know your solution. Pictures by all means:8

Cheers!

My amp has not arrived yet. It will probably arrive Monday.

My current setup does not have a HDMI ARC setup on my receiver or the projector. I also have a LG 60” plasma that we use when not using the projector which of course does not have a ARC. I will use the optical adapter for audio.

The projector is a Epson 5040u
The plasma is a LG-60PK950
I use a Atlona AT UHD EX 70 2PS 4K/UHD HDMI over HDBaseT Tx/Rx kit to connect HDMI to the projector. This has worked great. The Epson accepts 4K material and sending it over cat has eliminated dropouts.
I use a E-SDS 1X2 HDMI splitter4k*2k/60HZ HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 to send a signal to plasma
I use a YAMAHA RX-A840 receiver basically as a preamp and provide power to the surrounds and I have a Emotiva XP3 to power my Thiels

As you can see I already have a few boxes. I see no dedication in sound or audio. In the bedroom I have a brand new LG 65” with a ARC connection connected to a Sonos beam, sub and (2) play 1’s. It sounds and looks great and I’m very happy with it but when the ball is kicked off on Saturdays and Sundays we are all in the living room watching the projector. Really no comparison

I’m more worried about the amp having sufficient headroom to power the Thiels than any audio degradation from the optical converter cable. The Thiel 1.6 can get into the 3 and 2 ohm range which is a challenge for a lot of amplifiers

I
Userlevel 7
@Shepdog

Looks like you've got the connection thing taken care of. Kudo's! As far the Sonos Amp handling your speakers I'd say that an occasional dip into the forbidden 3 and 2 ohm range may not be an issue. Any sustained load in that area may have dire consequences. To be sure I'd contact Sonos. Not that this would occur but damaging the Sonos Amp due to improper use beyond specified parameters might void the warranty and compromise your return options. Just food for thought.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7

One more reason...The Beam provides Alexa voice to allow me to control the Sonos Amp.
Userlevel 2
Can they, or could they be enhanced to, run in a pair, one for left channel, one for right? I have some speakers that need a lot of power to perform well and using them as monoblocks could be interesting.
@Shepdog

Looks like you've got the connection thing taken care of. Kudo's! As far the Sonos Amp handling your speakers I'd say that an occasional dip into the forbidden 3 and 2 ohm range may not be an issue. Any sustained load in that area may have dire consequences. To be sure I'd contact Sonos. Not that this would occur but damaging the Sonos Amp due to improper use beyond specified parameters might void the warranty and compromise your return options. Just food for thought.

Cheers!

Good points. Thank you for the advice.

As for the connections, I bought my stuff before ARC was official. I didn’t want to try and sell my gear and get new stuff. Fortunately once it was all hooked up we’ve been happy
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Cheers!

Definitely agree with that. If you can turn off the rears easily with the amp it wouldn’t be necessary though.
I’ve gone to using 3rd gen dots for living room and bedroom Sonos just so I don’t have to worry about what works with Alexa and what doesn’t and the voice response seems faster with the dots too.
Badge
Just going to preorder
Ordered the Sonos Amp on 12/9, it's currently backordered but supposed to ship Friday 12/14. Keeping my fingers crossed. I plan to use the Amp to power four in-ceiling Polk Audio RC80i's in my outdoor pavilion. The four RC80i's will be setup as left/right pairs. The Amp will be connected via HDMI to a TV in the pavilion and serve as the primary TV audio. But will likely be used more often as a standalone zone for streaming music. I have two Connect Amps powering two different sets of Polk Audio Atrium 5's in our backyard and would have went with the Connect Amp for the pavilion if it supported HDMI in. The Connect Amp and Atrium 5's sound great at low volumes which is what I often use when sitting in the spa.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Digital trends review.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/sonos-amp-review/
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I ordered the Amp today and it arrives tomorrow.
I will use it with a Sonos Sub and Sonos One rears and it will also replace my Beam.
For now I am going to use Elac B6 2.0's that were on sale on Black Friday for $150 but will replace them with tower speakers when I figure out what I want.
I see in the CNet review they set the sub crossover at 100hz so will have to play with that. Not quite sure how to tune things but I guess it will be by ear. I'm spoiled by auto tuning of everything I have bought for awhile now including AV receivers. Any tips on tuning?
They also claimed very high treble and I don't like treble at all so will back that down.
I like loudness off on everything now so will turn that off too. I'm not sure why Sonos enables it automatically. Seems to get in the way of detail a little bit.
I'm thinking I don't actually view 5.1 content that often except for movies so maybe it will be OK to keep the rear ones ungrouped unless I want to use them for a 5.1 movie. Especially since I won't have to Trueplay again after rebonding them
I'm after better music quality than I get right now. I will also try out Roon access via Airplay.
This is going to be fun 🙂
Userlevel 7
@SOCalistic

Hi

Congrats on getting your Sonos Amp! :D So it sounds like you intend to use your Sonos Amp in an HT setup and you have a slight concern about the rears being involved when listening to music.

Tip:
Go ahead and bond the rears to the Sonos Amp. When listening to music all you need do is go into the Sonos app under room settings for the Sonos Amp and do one of two things:

Option 1. Place the rears on ambient for music (although you will still get a phantom sound)
Option 2. Do Option 1 and lower the volume level (push all the way to the left when listening to music)

Option 2 has the advantage of always keeping the rears at the ready for movies 🙂 (i.e. eliminates the vicious cycle of bonding for movies, un-bonding for music and re-bonding for movies and so on and so on…whew :P)

In the event that you decide to go back to your Beam for HT check out my post on using the Sonos Amp strictly for music. Here’s the link: https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/sonos-amp-get-more-enjoyment-with-ir-control-6817369

Enjoy your new toy(s)! :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Thanks for the advice. I currently have the rears set to full but don't care for the music coming from the rear plus some still coming from the Beam. I had not heard of doing it the way you describe.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Got my Sonos Amp :-)
Sounds really great 🙂
Userlevel 7
@SOCalistic

Great that you received your Amp! 🆒 Now we need pictures :8

Enjoy!!!