Question

What to do with Play1 now I have Alexa?

• 11 February 2017
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
So about a year ago I bought into sonos with a play1 in the kitchen. Great speaker, play Spotify and all good. Then came Alexa dot into the kitchen, excellent device and the way ahead, can play Spotify, radio etc all with a simple command. Sound is pretty crap though. Can't connect dot to sonos as latter has no connectivity options. So I have an excellent music interface (Alexa dot) and an excellent speaker (play1) but they don't connect. Alexa voice is the way I'm going for ease of use. I could buy an echo for bit better sound quality, or wait for next round of products. But what do I do with what's becoming a redundant play 1? It's like having a smartphone with no touch screen.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I would stay with the play1. It will sound better than the dot or echo and right now Sonos and Amazon are working on integrating Alexa which should happen this year. - Kris 🙂
Userlevel 1
Thanks - but whatever happens in this integration, I can't see how it will make my existing play1 work with the dot? Perhaps new Sonos kit will, but will it help my year old play1?
Thanks - but whatever happens in this integration, I can't see how it will make my existing play1 work with the dot? Perhaps new Sonos kit will, but will it help my year old play1?

Sonos stated in no uncertain terms that the Alexa/Sonos integration will work with all current and previously sold devices. You will be able to control any Sonos ever made from any Alexa equipped Amazon device; i.e. Echo, Dot, Tap, Fire tablet or Fire TV.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 1
hmm, I wonder how it would do that. The press release says "..These new voice capabilities will be delivered in a software update that will work with new and previously purchased Sonos and Alexa-enabled devices such as Amazon Echo, Echo Dot,.." - doesn't say all Sonos devices! If its a software update to add Alexa to play 1, how would that work if play1 has no mic?
Great if this would work, I'm just not sure how it would do it technically.
Oh for . . . :?

If it works with all previously purchased Sonos and Alexa-enabled devices, THEN IT WILL WORK WITH ALL PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED SONOS DEVICES!!

Not too hard to understand. The Echo/Dot/Tap/Fire "Alexa-enabled" device will be the input for the voice control, passing the commands on to the Sonos device, which will play the asked for tracks. This has been confirmed by Sonos numerous times. Trust me, you will be able to voice control your Sonos speakers, ANY Sonos speakers, using your Dot as the voice control mic.
Userlevel 1
Wow, tetchy kinda person, that's the trouble with forums. Anyway, still not clear how it will work technically so I'll just look elsewhere.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
At this point in time I am not sure anyone could answer your question until the integration is complete. Sonos is very tight lipped. I am sure right now their software engineers are busy writing code that will include all current and previously sold products to receive Alexa commands. - Kris 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Wow, tetchy kinda person, that's the trouble with forums.

And jgatie is not "tetchy". He is very knowledgeable and spends a lot time on this forum trying to help and offer advice to everyone with their problems / concerns. - Kris 🙂
Userlevel 1
Fair enough. Apologies for asking. All the best.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I suspect that the implementation will not turn the Sonos products into free Amazon dots/voice controllers, etc... which I think may people do consider since the 5 does indeed have a mic in it... but I could easily be wrong It might.

I suspect it is more likely that the dot and other Amazon controllers will be enabled to control Sonos products... so the two companies working together doesn't replace one of their products for the other, but encourages consumers to have both because of how well they work together (those with Sonos get a dot.. those with Dot invest in Sonos gear.) Truth will all be revealed at some point...
I thought I was quite clear in describing how it will work. The Amazon device will be the recipent of voice commands, it will translate these into Sonos commands, then relay those commands to the Sonos device(s) via WiFi, which will process the commands and play music. No different than a light bulb or a thermostat. See:

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I believe I read somewhere the play5 has the wrong type of mic in it to use like an echo. Perhaps someone can comment on that. And I think your suspicions are correct SHARKB8T. - Kris 🙂
I believe I read somewhere the play5 has the wrong type of mic in it to use like an echo. Perhaps someone can comment on that. And I think your suspicions are correct SHARKB8T. - Kris :)

Yes, the P:5 mics are near field and not an array. Alexa needs a far field array. It has been suggested that future Sonos players will have far field arraya and embedded Alexa technology.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ok, thanks jgatie for the confirmation and the posting the video above. Awesome! - Kris 🙂
You Sir (AFMUIR) took the words right out of my mouth!

I have recently moved into a new home and part of that dream was to upgrade to the Sonos system as a full home system using Play 1's throughout and home theater. Recently Alexa came into my life and she changed everything.

I am now in my new home and wanting to purchase several Sonos items but since Alexa does not currently work with them I am holding off on pulling the trigger. I am currently looking for other speaker options as I wait to hear when Sonos will fully integrate with Alexa. I feel like I am cheating on Sonos as I fall more deeply in love with Alexa. Someone from the Sonos home office needs to give me an update and save me from cheating on Sonos with some other stupid speaker that already works with my "girlfriend", Alexa. PS - please do not show this note to my wife!
Maybe you should read the thread. Sonos has promised full Alexa integration witin the year. Not just a Skill, full Alexa integration, which takes time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have recently moved into a new home and part of that dream was to upgrade to the Sonos system as a full home system using Play 1's throughout and home theater. Recently Alexa came into my life and she changed everything.

I am now in my new home and wanting to purchase several Sonos items but since Alexa does not currently work with them I am holding off on pulling the trigger. I am currently looking for other speaker options

Well congrats on the new house. You are dead on with play1 through out and their full surround for the TV. I think you should wait and stay the course. Alexa integration will happen this year. - Kris 🙂
Badge
I agree with SHARKB8T, I am willing to wait until later this year for Alexa integration results. If Sonos holds true to their promise of reverse compatability, then the Alexa/Sonos marriage will create a myriad of new possibilities and opportunities in my Sonos ecosystem.... I did not make the major investment in Sonos over the last ten or so years with Alexa in mind, but with music library's, streaming, sound and convenience as my goals. Since the initial Sonos launch there have been minor (ok, maybe a few major) issues with other systems/formats. For me, Alexa, and other Amazon devices to will add convenience/functionality to Sonos, but I do not want or expect Sonos to internalize Alexa. Looking forward to future developments which will or will not lead to future purchases.
Maybe you should read the thread. Sonos has promised full Alexa integration witin the year. Not just a Skill, full Alexa integration, which takes time.
I did read it thanks! Waiting a year in business is a long time and potentially difficult to make up, especially when current customers want to invest BUT only when the intergration actually happens.
Sonos has stated they could have a half-assed Alexa skill on the market by now if they wished. There are already a few 3rd party low featured skills out there. But that's not what they do, and what they do, they will take the time to do it right. If they lose a few impatient cutomers who want it sooner rather than better, so be it. I imagine they know the tolerance for long term quality vs short term band-aids of their target market.

I am now in my new home and wanting to purchase several Sonos items but since Alexa does not currently work with them I am holding off on pulling the trigger. I am currently looking for other speaker options

Well congrats on the new house. You are dead on with play1 through out and their full surround for the TV. I think you should wait and stay the course. Alexa integration will happen this year. - Kris :)
I'm trying and truly appreciate the one Play 1 I have now!
Sonos has stated they could have a half-assed Alexa skill on the market by now if they wished. There are already a few 3rd party low featured skills out there already. But that's not what they do, and what they do, they will take the time to do it right. If they lose a few impatient cutomers who want it sooner rather than better, so be it. I imagine they know the tolerance, for both long term goals and short term band-aids, of their target market.
I have 4 play 1's as two stereo pairs. Bleeding great. 😃