What to do when silly Sonos does not provide me with a solution

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have 6 Connects in my house (plus one amp and one Beam).  Sadly, I now wonder if I have put my bet on the wrong horse.  One of my Connects ar connected to at 12 channels amp, powering the 6 pairs of 3rd party in-ceiling wired speakers covering my kitchen- and open area.  Now I feel I really need one or two subs in this area. But silly Sonos does not let me connect a Sub with a Connect.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?  Could I buy a One and pair the Connect, One and Sub to be controlled together as one area?  Could I somehow connect a new Connect to a 3rd party amplifier and a 3rd party sub, and pair the two connects together?

Is there any way to use a Sonos Amp to power my 6 pairs of speakers, for then to pair the Sub with the Sonos Amp?

I invested in Sonos because it was supposed to be simple :(

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Could I use Sonos Amp with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Speaker-Selector-Switch-Distribution/dp/B07L9384KH/ref=pd_di_sccai_cn_sccl_3_2/144-3155546-6365039?pd_rd_w=M3J84&pf_rd_p=1ed8df3a-0df8-4988-98b9-252e4c99c568&pf_rd_r=YGKXPSH03A0GM59ZFX16&pd_rd_r=424a84e7-4434-495d-aa57-23953966eb94&pd_rd_wg=HcTYP&pd_rd_i=B07L9384KH&th=1

Silly Sonos? As Sonos has no control over the amplification it would make no sense to run a Sub with a Connect. You would use a third party subwoofer run by your amp. 

I can't see why not. But if the speakers are in several rooms I don't know where you would put a Sonos Sub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To command a Sub the commanding Sonos device needs to be able to send a 5Ghz signal to it. The Connect was designed along time ago and (as far as I know) does not do 5Ghz.

Nor does the CONNECT know where to position any kind of crossover, to split the signal for a connected subwoofer, since it doesn’t know what kind of speakers are being driven, and what specifications they have. Same issue with the Sonos Port. 

To command a Sub the commanding Sonos device needs to be able to send a 5Ghz signal to it. The Connect was designed along time ago and (as far as I know) does not do 5Ghz.

A Sub bonded with a non home theatre player usually operates on 2.4GHz. (An exception would be where there’s only a 5GHz WiFi available and the system's in WiFi mode.)

Userlevel 3
Badge

I do not have walls in this area - it is a very open solution.  But it is large so perhaps I will need two subs…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is this correct? I can not find “proximity to commanding unit” as a requirement… this would be a major problem for me, since I have my Sonos connects and amps stowed away in my “control room”. Everything is actually wired 😂

Userlevel 3
Badge

A Sub bonded with a non home theatre player usually operates on 2.4GHz. (An exception would be where there’s only a 5GHz WiFi available and the system's in WiFi mode.)

Does this mean that it is not sufficient for the sub and the amp to be connected to the same network? I am not sure I will be able to have a connection directly between the amp and the sub. The amp will be wired, on a lower floor and perhaps 15 meters away (through walls and solid floor). 

Does this mean that it is not sufficient for the sub and the amp to be connected to the same network? I am not sure I will be able to have a connection directly between the amp and the sub. The amp will be wired, on a lower floor and perhaps 15 meters away (through walls and solid floor). 

Sonos Amp is a home theatre player. It talks to its Sub directly via 5GHz. If that can’t reach the Sub you’ll have to wire the Sub to the network as well.