Question

What's better for connecting mixer to Sonos : AMP or Five ?

• 5 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Like many of you, I’ve got a DJ Mixer connected to a Five using the line-in.  Then grouped the Five with all other Sonos speakers.

It works … but the delay is soooo annoying.  Honestly, I don`t believe the 70ms that`s always discussed ; it`s more like 2s.

Now my question ;

Will a Sonos AMP be the better choice here ?

So connecting my mixer to the AMP and then wireless to my speakers ?

Thanks in advance !

Geert.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Will a Sonos AMP be the better choice here ?

So connecting my mixer to the AMP and then wireless to my speakers ?

Nope.

The delay is there in order to accomplish whole home audio.  Can’t really be removed and accomplish whole home audio.  Your best option would be to use a Beam/Arc/Amp and connect via HDMI-ARC, as that’s designed for TV and will play the audio immediately, however, your speakers in other rooms will be delayed.

My PlayBar is indeed connected to my TV by optical cable ; here`s no delay at all.

Even grouping it with two One’s, still no delay.

So it should be feasible to connect without delay ?

Is it because of the optical cable iso a RCA to 3.5mm jack ?

I suspect you’re not grouping with the two PLAY:1s, if there is no delay, then they’re bonded to the same room as the PLAYBAR as surrounds. As long as they’re in that ‘room’ construct, there would be no delay. Once you group another room, you pay the price of delay so that all other rooms can be in sync, but slightly delayed from the PLAYBAR room, but only on the digital input. If you group the PLAYBAR room with other Sonos rooms when not using the digital input, but instead streaming music they’d all be in sync.